Notices

3 days in

Old 08-29-2012, 02:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 days in

I woke up for the first time in a very loooong time without a hangover or feeling dead tired because i could not sleep without any alcohol in my system. Last night I was able to sleep about 6 hours off and on without the aid of alcohol in my system. Although i did take an over the counter sleep aid.

I actually feel great. I feel energetic, happy, optimistic, and peaceful. A 180 from the way i would usually be feeling at this moment at work. My days used to consist of hung over mornings filled with self loathing and regret, craving afternoons with alcohol on my mind and alcohol saturated nights infront of the TV. I was drinking atleast 6 beers a night and double that on most weekends. On most nights i would actually diss my friends in favor of closing myself off in my apartment and drinking till i passed out. Drinking was killing my social life. I would break plans with friends because drinking left me too lethargic to go out.... even if they were going out to party, i preferred to get drunk alone. I think alot of that had to do with my previous experiences with liquor(hence why i switched to beer years ago), where i would constantly make an fool out of myself in social situations and experience black outs.

I created a userid on Monday of last week after missing work because i got too wasted the previous night. I found this website and made my user name with the intentions of joining last week. But later that day before making my first post, to ease the hangover, i was back at the 7-11 buying another six pack of beer. Needless to say, I went on binge that lasted a week and ended this Monday morning when I called in to work again because I was too hungover. That's when i decided i finally had to stop. I called my cousin who used to be my drinking partner when i lived in Atlanta and had already been through AA who suggested that i find a meeting and start the program. I am still a bit apprehensive about joining AA since i am not very religious and I think i can quit on my own.

As i said, i feel great today and oh how i have missed this feeling of not being impaired by the effects of alcohol or hangovers. I think this site is great as it has given me alot of resources and inspiration to quit drinking.

I am going to continue to think about joining AA, but at this moment, I am enjoying feeling like myself again and being able to think clearly.

Anyway thanks for listening guys.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EnoughisEnough2 View Post
I woke up for the first time in a very loooong time without a hangover or feeling dead tired because i could not sleep without any alcohol in my system. Last night I was able to sleep about 6 hours off and on without the aid of alcohol in my system. Although i did take an over the counter sleep aid.

I actually feel great. I feel energetic, happy, optimistic, and peaceful. A 180 from the way i would usually be feeling at this moment at work. My days used to consist of hung over mornings filled with self loathing and regret, craving afternoons with alcohol on my mind and alcohol saturated nights infront of the TV. I was drinking atleast 6 beers a night and double that on most weekends. On most nights i would actually diss my friends in favor of closing myself off in my apartment and drinking till i passed out. Drinking was killing my social life. I would break plans with friends because drinking left me too lethargic to go out.... even if they were going out to party, i preferred to get drunk alone. I think alot of that had to do with my previous experiences with liquor(hence why i switched to beer years ago), where i would constantly make an fool out of myself in social situations and experience black outs.

I created a userid on Monday of last week after missing work because i got too wasted the previous night. I found this website and made my user name with the intentions of joining last week. But later that day before making my first post, to ease the hangover, i was back at the 7-11 buying another six pack of beer. Needless to say, I went on binge that lasted a week and ended this Monday morning when I called in to work again because I was too hungover. That's when i decided i finally had to stop. I called my cousin who used to be my drinking partner when i lived in Atlanta and had already been through AA who suggested that i find a meeting and start the program. I am still a bit apprehensive about joining AA since i am not very religious and I think i can quit on my own.

As i said, i feel great today and oh how i have missed this feeling of not being impaired by the effects of alcohol or hangovers. I think this site is great as it has given me alot of resources and inspiration to quit drinking.

I am going to continue to think about joining AA, but at this moment, I am enjoying feeling like myself again and being able to think clearly.

Anyway thanks for listening guys.
Its taken me 20 yrs to finaly reach the point of rock bottom. Today is day one for me off pot. I plan on attending my first na meeting tonight, erase the fear and doubt and embrace your sobriety. easier said then done i know hahaha.Im learning i NEED to be around people who have been there and walked in my shoes. Im really excited for tonight and for you. stay strong man!!
Old 08-29-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome...I'm not religious either...And AA has kept me sober for 14 months.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
fgo

enough.... there are many ways to get sober you just have to want it. Find what works for you and go after it like your life depends on it, it very well could.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Agreed, find something that works for you and put your heart into it.

I truly believe that it's the motivation you have, rather than the program you follow.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the words on encouragement. It's around 9:12pm here. The hours between 6-12 were the most self destructive for me. I went back to the gym today to keep myself busy. It's hard especially in the evenings, but I have vowed to get through these next few days and form new healthy habits to replace alcohol.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You sound really ready, Enough. I'm so glad for you. The feeling of freedom is wonderful, isn't it?

I can't believe what we put ourselves through, convinced that we really need that garbage. I was so afraid to let go of it. Now I don't understand why I thought it was making my life better. All it brought me was misery and danger.

We're happy you're here - keep on posting.