Notices

I am worried about my drinking...

Old 08-30-2012, 05:45 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Vall, there has been a lot of good things said here, especially about the poinless exercise of defining heavy drinking. Why because people are right when they its about how it affects you. I am an alcoholic because alcohol has caused me very serious problems! When I was drinking and before my attempted suicide I made a heavy drinker look like a kid with a bottle of soda. If you define "heavy" by my standards then most people would think they had a long way to go. If you want my advise (for what it is worth), if you are asking the question, then your brain is sending you are warning. Just stop now and stay away from it. You will probably go down the same path as your brother. There is nothing good to say about alcohol. Now that I have done what I have done and seen what I did to other people, the very people I was supposed to love I really don't want anyone to drink ever. It serves no purpose. There are many ways to unwind after a day at work. There are great night in, and out that don't have to involve drink, and to be honest most people would be happy to go along to some "event" and have a really good time without it involving alcohol. If it wasn't for the peer pressure put on by the few who make out that you can't go out without have a "few" drinks, or that you are weird when you ask for a soft drink, or worse don't invite you anywhere because you are boring because you don't drink, everyone would have a good time without it!!

Here in Somerset we are working towards setting up a Social Club dedicated to organising evenings and days out that are alcohol free. It's a start!
Old 08-30-2012, 10:07 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hi Vall,
Welcome to SR. The fact you are questioning and wondering if you have a problem, is an indication you probably do have one. We are all here for the same reason, and to help support each other in our recovery.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:58 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

It's 7pm here. I haven't touched a drink and I am determined not to even though it is hard when you only have yourself to stop you...I keep patting myself on the shoulder though

My Doctor was great and I now have support for my depression too.

Tomorrow Dad's Birthday is going to be hard as my Mum has Dad's ashes in her bedroom so we don't have anywhere to go on his birthday to be near him....I don't know, hope you know what I mean.

I keep reading everyones posts when I can and I really feel for you all. Once I am in a better place I hope to be able to offer support to you all too.

Thank you
Old 08-30-2012, 12:25 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

hello, I'm very glad you are here
Old 09-02-2012, 09:46 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hi all.

Just a quick update.

I felt hesitant to report that my fear of being addicted to alcohol was unfounded as I have no problem at all not drinking.

I am sure however that if I don't keep reminding myself that I need to control my intake - I could easily go overboard.

I am depressed, grieving for my lovely Dad very much, and have all the stresses and strains and recent health issues that we all have, and it is so easy to reach for comfort...

But then I am not me - so what's the point?

Take care all.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Originally Posted by Vall View Post
Thank you so very very much all of you.

What a great place to be when you feel that you are sinking.

I am sort of aware that I have to be careful. Very careful. I have responsibilites, people who depend on me and I think in the end that because I am needed I don't want to sink completely. That would be selfish. Very selfish.

Mrlofg: I hate singling people out as everyone has helped me enormously on here but I hope you are back on track and I suggest you go into counselling of some kind as you could help people.

I still think though that if I was dependant I would drink anything in the house? and I don't. I can't bear most spirits etc.
I had a problem with alcohol, but I never drank daily and could easily have alcohol (even my favorite) in the house without drinking it. The problem for me was that when I would drink and start to feel the buzz I would keep going until I passed out. I would do stupid stuff when drunk and have 1-2 day hangovers. When I was out and needed to be respectable I could have 1 or 2 drinks and stop. I may not fit the "true alcoholic" pattern, but my weekly binges impacted my life and was making me miserable. There is still alcohol in my house and I am around alcohol most of the time, but I don't drink. For some they are unable to do this. All of us here have different patterns with drinking, but I think it's safe to say that for all of us that are sober...life is better.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:01 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Do the Math.

Typically (especially in my case), by the time one starts wondering whether they have a "drinking problem", they are way past already being there.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:09 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Dear Slits,

luckily I found SR (mainly due to my brother's problems) before I really had a problem.

This place can help you realise before you get too far on.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:13 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Originally Posted by Vall View Post
Dear Slits,

luckily I found SR (mainly due to my brother's problems) before I really had a problem.

This place can help you realise before you get too far on.
Yes it can- it has sure helped me!
Old 09-16-2012, 09:30 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Do the Math.

Well, I actually gave up "denial" back in '06. Unfortunately, it took me many more Severe Beat Downs from Alcohol before "rock bottom" and I was actually willing to do what it takes to save myself. Still working on that one.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Good luck Slits. Hope you find your way forward.