Notices

nervous someone please talk to me.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:18 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

I did detox and long term recovery home back in San Diego 21 yrs ago. It was a giant house w/ 42 women living under one roof. It was interesting............ hard, but good overall. I am still in touch with a few of the ladies!

You will do great, and remember the progress you make is going to be a GREAT benefit to your kids the rest of their lives. Go in at it, learn all you can do as much work as you can, listen, listen, listen and learn.

Blessings and Hugs,

Lily
Old 08-27-2012, 08:04 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Becron, the facility you are considering is fairly institutional in its settings, rooms, etc., but doesn't feel like a hospital. It's in a wooded setting, with a picnic table outside, and between meetings/lectures, the patients can go outside to smoke, talk, etc. You'll have a roommate (maybe more than one), and people eat together in a cafeteria setting. And there are regular lectures, support group meetings, and individual therapy sessions. Based on my son's experience, the facility uses suboxone to detox patients from opiates, but only for a few days to get the patient over the worst of the opiate withdrawal, then they take you off the suboxone - at least that was how it was handled for my son. He went in as an active user, and they let him detox for a few days without pushing him to attend all the meetings and lectures until he felt better.

I think you'll find once you get in there that it's not at all scary and that they will take good care of you. You will likely form some strong, supportive bonds with other patients. I second the advice of an earlier poster - learn all you can while you're in there, soak it all up, take it all seriously, because the real test will be when you get out.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I've been in detox a few times as an inpatient. From my general experience, they will give you enough meds so you won't die or be in so much pain you will want to kill yourself, but you won't be all that comfortable, either. I've seen lots of people in for opiates who felt crappy, and I felt they were undermedicated. If you have severe pain from an injury or something, they may well not give you an opiate for that. I was in for alcohol, and I am tolerant to benzos (what they use to help with anxiety, seizure prevention, and vital signs), so I didn't feel too great, either. Hospitals are very stressful for me naturally, though, and my body needed just 3 days to renormalize this last time.

Good luck with the detox. Opiate addiction is especially awful.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:49 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I woke up this morning got my kids dressed and fed and jumped on the computer right away and logged on to sr. And wow I'm so amazed and grateful for all the responses I've gotten and everyones advice and kind words! Just being on this support network has really helped me mentally prepare for going in and now has me excited for my na meeting tonight if they are as supportive as my new sr network is I really think this will be a postive exp for me. Glad to here I'm going to a good faciluty. I have been having day dreams of it being like a faciluty in the movie "girl interupted" 2g angelina jolie and wihnonna rider. But I know thsat was just my fears. Another thing I'm happy about is they may only use the suboxone for a very short period enough for me to be ok and to work the program to the best of my ability. To answer a few questions about changing my life style and co dependant ppl. The majority of my friends don't know I used and they don't use I have two friends that use and they are my main "hookups" I don't have a network of co dependant ppl in my life these friends however do their life is the "drug life" so I have cut them out already one was a friends for 15 yrs she started ugivesing a few yrs beforgive me and really entered the lifestyle and when I got into it I would call her her and exlaintation for stuff. I didn't
Old 08-28-2012, 05:57 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Sorry my computer keeps freezing. Anyhoo..... I didn't give her an exxplaination I simple. Told her I broke down and don't my parents and husband I need help to stop I'm going to rehab and she wasn't very supportive. She said (of course) she had total control over her habit and can quit anytime and she is just slowing down then quitting. I didn't tell her I'm not talking to her anymore I don't think she will really care once she realize my lifestyle is different in her eye boring. But I have cut those ppl out one thing I've noticed so far is I'm not getting calls or text about all the drama the lifestyle I'm happy about that. She is the type to make me feel bad about quitting or says I don't really need re hab that was a huge redflag to me!! She also always enabled me back when I went to dr for suboxone and got sick she told me not to take i t I would be fine well that didn't work and shame on me for listening to her
Old 08-28-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Becron View Post
Sorry my computer keeps freezing. Anyhoo..... I didn't give her an exxplaination I simple. Told her I broke down and don't my parents and husband I need help to stop I'm going to rehab and she wasn't very supportive. She said (of course) she had total control over her habit and can quit anytime and she is just slowing down then quitting. I didn't tell her I'm not talking to her anymore I don't think she will really care once she realize my lifestyle is different in her eye boring. But I have cut those ppl out one thing I've noticed so far is I'm not getting calls or text about all the drama the lifestyle I'm happy about that. She is the type to make me feel bad about quitting or says I don't really need re hab that was a huge redflag to me!! She also always enabled me back when I went to dr for suboxone and got sick she told me not to take i t I would be fine well that didn't work and shame on me for listening to her

Sounds like a friend you could do without...Good for you for going to an NA meeting...Just listen for the people talking about recovery...Those are the ones you are going to want to know....You'll meet some great people...Both in rehab and in the meeting...Doing what you want to do. I'm happy for you.