Notices

nervous someone please talk to me.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

nervous someone please talk to me.

I started a thread yest under substance abuse which explains my story up till now. Its to much to re type. Here I am today preparing my life before I enter inpatient detox and treatment ext wk. I find it very stressful as I'm really sick while trying to make sure my kids are cared for while I'm gone I'm going to be gone there first wk back to school. (Which brings about a lot of guilt).. I'm in the process of taking time off work whic isn't a problem. I'm scared of this whole proccess going in for opiate detox doc vics and percs at 20 per day. I have no clue what to expect in a detox center or what rehab is like. They have told me a bit but that's from a proffessional stand point. And as a health care proffesional myself I know there advice to me as a patient isn't exactly what its like they are coming from there exp as a day to day job. One other thing that has me worried is this whole detox with suboxone. Last month I went to a clinic and was given sub to take when I got home I was sick for 3 days I did nott like the exp at all. This is what brought me to where I am now going in patient but I'm not sure I want to go the route of sub do I have that choice there or do they make me take it?? I don't want to be stuck on it forever. After my exp the first time with it I'm so scared the way I felt mentally from it was the worst. I'm happy I will have proffessionals watching over me though that helps my fears. What I'm asking from everyone on here is. If you've done inpatient opiate program any advice please experiance and all around what is it like?? What was it like for you where you glad you went that route or wish you'd done it alone?? One other concern will this be on my med record can I lose my job?? Any advice personal exp pleaaaase.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Call the inpatient treatment center and ask if you have a choice about the suboxone or not before you are admitted. Also ask how long suboxone treatment is planned; sometimes this may be as short as a few weeks or more than a year.

If you don't want to use the suboxone method and that is your only alternative with this facility, you might want to consider finding a different treatment center that offers you other choices. I think that it is important for you to be an active participant in your treatment plan, with all options explained to you, including the pros and cons and why one plan might be preferred over others.

One other piece of advice...if you are taking other medications, discuss this with the facility before you are admitted and ask if you will be allowed to continue to take those meds. I was taking Klonopin as prescribed for vertigo and this was abruptly discontinued by a treatment center. The withdrawal was horrendous and no one had explained what it would be like; I ended up discharging myself AMA (against medical advice).

As far as your medical record is concerned, HIPAA protects this information. The only was that your employer should legitimately find out about this is if you disclose it to someone else.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, it sounds like it would be helpful for you to call the treatment centre and ask more questions. Hopefully, that will ease your mind.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for info and advice. I'm calling them I've wrote down your suggested question and will be asking. I did ask them how they detox and they said the dr always uses suboxone but there are other ways but they are more (as they said it) dragged out and bothersome for the patient. I am on xanax 1mg 3 times a day and ussually only take two I was diagnosed with crohns disease many yrs ago and was put on high doses of prednisone which caused major long term anxiety I still get panic attacks but not often I take two a day to maintain it in my system because my dr said that having it in my system will control anxiety before it starts. I will ask them if they are going to make me stop taking that I've heard that withdrawal is worse but I'm going in for opiates not benzos but they might see any controlled substance as a noo no maybe??? I just want option and like you said to be an active part of my recovery. If I choose not to go the suboxone route then I might as they say be more miserable. And have a dragged out detox but if that's what I choose I don't understand why they made it sound like that's a bad decision? Hopefully when I finally see the dr there he will be more supportive. Thanks again.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ok I just got off the phone with them they said they will go over all of this at my intake and I can discuss all my concerns with the dr. I did my phone intake which consists of ins ifo meds and how much I take but when I. Go in they do the medical intake. Sounds like they prefer the use of suboxone but they will give me the choice. Now another question I have. I don't think they can even give me suboxone with some of the meds I'm on for anxiety and depression? Doesn't suboxone cause fatal reactions when mixed with benzodiazapienes*? I asked them but they didn't say anything over the phone. I told them that once I talk to the dr and he gives me all of my options I will pick what I think is best for me. If choose not to use sub and I have a drawn out detox then so be it that's why I'm doing in patient so I can have medical supervision so I don't get dehydrated of malnurished*. I just want to do what best for me and then utilize there recovery survices and work a program to get and stay better. Has anyone had first hand inpatient exp good or bad?
Old 08-27-2012, 11:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good luck to you Becron!
I am on day 3 of detoxing from opiates. Let me tell you... I will only do this once.
The last 3 days have been torture! But I am just starting to function again. (with shakes and sweats) I actually got out of bed and made it to the store today lol.
Please keep posting and let us know your progress!
Old 08-27-2012, 11:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I did inpatient detox for alcohol....I was bad enough I was in for five days....And I can tell you....These people know what they are doing...If you were trying to do this on your own I'd be concerned for you. You will feel great relief when you get there and are under their care...Trust me. You're like me...I had to think of everything that could possibly go wrong and damn near drive myself nuts...All for not....It went fine. Like I said...They've done this before and know what's going on. You are right about the intake...Write any questions down you have and bring that with you...Be honest with the doctor and ask what he/she thinks is the best route for you to take. Try not to worry about your kids...What you are doing is an amazing thing and takes a lot of courage...It is for you...But they will win out too....Just be positive....Keep an open mind in rehab...Start thinking about what after treatment program you want to use...You can look into that now...Ask questions....Pray...Have faith things will be OK...Because if you put your heart into this....Things will be OK. Good for you....It's a great first step.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I'm sure the doctors there have seen similar cases to yours and will be able to help you work all these things out and make you as comfortable as possible. They can give you better answers once they see you and get a detailed history.

I know it's scary (not knowing what to expect), but I think you're making a great decision by going to inpatient. Having gone that route myself, I have to say it was one of the best things I ever did for myself.

Hang in there and try not to worry too much.....
Old 08-27-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone im feeling better about it little by little. I know I will be ok doing in patient because anything is better then doing it at home I tried that in july and even with suboxone I couldn't do it. I couldn't handle being sick and seeing my kids need me. I need to go away to get better and have time for me and only me. Time for me not to worry about being to sick in front of my kids and not doing things with them and for them was always a huge driving force for me to give myself the excuse to use I
Old 08-27-2012, 12:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

@ butterfly 74 congrats on 3 days!!! That's good news I give you props on doing it I know a lot of ppl who have done it on their own I've tried and at about 1 days just could never handle the wds. Keep up the good work and keep me posted on your progress. What have you been doing to stick with it??
Old 08-27-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Have you gone to NA meetings around Detroit?

I couldn't do it myself either and I had to let AA save my life. Detox and NA may save yours.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 08-27-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Becron

Like Artsoul said, I'm sure the Drs there know their stuff - try not to worry. I think you're making a great decision and a great step forward

D
Old 08-27-2012, 02:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

There's a lot of na meetings in my area and the recovery center by my house has them. I start tomorrow but am unsure of how they will look at me since I haven't gone to detox yet? I go on the 3rd. I'm quit sick right now though and most likely will be tomorrow so my first na meeting should be interesting
Old 08-27-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I guess I'm nervous as a whole about the process. I'm keep going over it in my. Mind. What's it like from start to finish? I know its different for everyone but the main process is the same the goal is the same. And most rehabs are ran the same. Id like to know about that I know they get you in and let you get used to it the first day and then after that you have cousling, group meeting and dr visit. Is it like being in a hospital?
Old 08-27-2012, 04:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Becron
Good for you for making the decision to enter detox. You can get through this. Just concentrate on getting well.

Love
CaiHong
Old 08-27-2012, 04:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never been to detox or rehab Becron. I'm sure you'll get responses from those who have soon

D
Old 08-27-2012, 05:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Becron View Post
Is it like being in a hospital?
The one I was in wasn't....More like sharing apartments...We had kitchens in ours...I'm sure they are all different...You might have a set place where you go eat...Classrooms....It's not bad....I don't like hospitals...And I didn't mind being there. I looked at it like going to school where the passing grade was my life....I had to learn as much as I could so when I left my course of action was pretty clear....Like I said...I haven't drank since. But to be honest with you...I went back for a six month reunion and out of 40 of us...There were 4 people there..Myself included....So it's what you do when you leave that makes or breaks it. Keep your ears and your mind open...It all about making changes.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I should also mention you will meet some great people...Get pretty close to them....And they keep you busy but also give you enough study time and recreation time...Use it wisely. Any other questions you have...Fire away.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

hugs.

I wish you well.

Love,
Old 08-27-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I did detox in a local behavioral health (psych) ward of a hospital. It was scary at first but turned out fine. I should say I spent one night in a detox facility prior to that and it was not the best experience. After detox, I went to a rehab for two weeks for alcohol. The program was decent but the population and security were not so good. A lot of fights both verbal and physical. I would recommend not bringing valuables, bringing something to write in (did lots of journalling), and bringing a calling card. Just a few practical suggestions.
I did relapse after rehab but have been sober for 94 days now. Would I have gotten sober without rehab? Don't really know. Kind of think that although I wasn't immediately successful that some of it did stick in the long run. I do agree that it's what I did since then that has made the difference but...it was probably another step towards hitting bottom and then thankfully starting to crawl back up.
I totally understand being nervous. I remember it well. I was both nervous about what was ahead but also anxious about getting started. I really did want to get well. I just didn't know how. I wish you the best; it will be hard but it's so worth it.