Notices

AA Sponsor

Old 08-21-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA Sponsor

What should I look for in choosing one?
Old 08-21-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For me, immediate availability was key. I'd tried 12 steps without a sponsor before (through lack of willingness on both sides) and it didn't work. Waiting around for the Ideal wasn't prudent for me anymore, and I grabbed someone after my first meeting back from "sabbatical" to be my sponsor, at least on a trial basis.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I looked for one that stayed sober and I got one pretty fast after relapsing once without a sponser. It is important to get one to get started, you can always change later.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

counselor told us in IOP that newbies should look for a sponsor with experience and at least five years of sobriety.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Someone who has worked the steps and has had a spiritual awakening or experience. Someone who walks the talk (does what they say they they do). A happy person.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I picked a sponsor with years of sobriety and a quality of life that I couldn't imagine ever having..... and I began to get it

All the best.

Bob R
Old 08-21-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Initially you should get one with some quality time in. I know of some in the program that have 6 months in that I would prefer over some others I know with 20 years.

That's one of the important things about going to meetings. If you go to a number of meetings you get to hear lots of people and you will get a feel for who's with it and who talks a lot.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Mine has 13 years of sobriety, she is straight talking and direct. She is a total mix of tough and tender, and I trust what she tells me implicitly.
I liked her as soon as I met her. It took me a few months to find her and it was just after my relapse when I was probably at my lowest emotionally and spiritually. She has enabled me to get back on track and we are working through the steps.
I think if they are a long time sober and living the life you want, they are probably getting it right. Good luck x
Old 08-21-2012, 03:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Go to meetings and find someone who has what you want, then ask him/her how to get it.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Well question aswered. As you can see there really is no wrong way.. Other than not asking..

Get busy and stay on the beam..
Old 08-21-2012, 05:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This is AA's pamphlet on sponsorship...Good stuff.

http://www.aa.org/pdf/products/p-15_Q&AonSpon.pdf
Old 08-21-2012, 06:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

I was led to my sponsor. Her sobriety date is 1975, mine is 2011.
I picked someone who had a whole lot of sobriety, and I felt something when she talked. I felt like she could relate to me.
Now that i am sober, I would say just pray for the right sponsor to come to you, or you be led to the right sponsor. Try your best to keep your will out of it and you will do just fine!
Old 08-21-2012, 10:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Picking a sponsor can be daunting.

What to look for? Who's really working the program? Who's "recovered" and who's not? Has someone had a spiritual awakening as a result of the steps or are they just good talkers? Should I get someone "cool" that I can identify with or go for one of the hard-core type of person?

If we were transported back to grade school today and had to pick teammates for our baseball/basketball/whatever team at the end of the week......and we didn't know anyone at the school. What would we do? Well, for one, we'd ask around. We'd ask the kids who were there who we should consider for our team. Do that........

Don't try to just pick a sponsor. If you're new, you can't possibly know what to look for anymore than I could select a good jai alai player from a mediocre one. So, what ya do is ask around. Start getting honest.....maybe before the meeting or after the meeting. Start putting it out there that you're looking for someone and see who the ppl at the meeting recommend. Odds are.......they'll all recommend the same 1-4 ppl. THOSE are the folks you key in on - the ppl recommended by the ppl there who DO know what's going on and what to look for / what to avoid.

I'll tell ya this....... of the 10 or 15 ppl I thought had it "goin on" at the meetings I went to when I was new, I can think of maybe 2 of them I'd still consider a "good sponsor" now (with 5 yrs under my belt). Not that the others are bad AA members or anything like that.......they're just not ppl I'd recommend. Back when I was new though, I really thought a lot of them were something special.

Best case scenario.....one of the stronger members will just say to you, "I'm your sponsor." If that happens, consider yourself lucky. And no, you probably won't "like" them all that much at first.....lol. That just seems to be the norm. But know this, only the strongest ppl in the program take it seriously enough to KNOW that they MUST carry the message to newcomers or they're goose is cooked. On the flip side, most of the half-measure crowd will just sit back waiting for everyone else to do all the work.

** do some hanging out, reading and posting in the "12-Step" section here under alcoholism. There are maaaany strong AA ppl here and by reading their posts, exchanging ideas, and running things by them......you'll get a pretty good taste of what to look for in a real-life sponsor.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bjames View Post
Someone who easily shares their experience, strength and hope!Someone who has time in the program and may has a desire to sponsor. And depending on your personality-will be able to meet your needs. I needed someone strong, but who is very loving- My sponsor will tell me to shut up in one breath-that she doesn't want me to talk a certain way about my self and in the next sentence explain why we don't need to think this way-she can relate it to my character defects and what I need to read/do for homework and loves me unconditionally as I learn to love myself...
Old 08-22-2012, 11:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Candi, sounds like our sponsors are very similar. Mine also tells me to shut up and listen. Well actually she swears a lot so I tend to do as I'm told! She also shows me such kindness and love that it overwhelms me frequently!
Old 08-22-2012, 11:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Quality not quantity. As mentioned above, sober time is not everything. There are some folks with a few months in that are every bit as qualified as a long timer to sponsor because they have done the work and have had a spiritual awakening as the result. Look for the folks who are on fire with sobriety. It is impossible to have a spiritual awakening and not be enthusiastic about passing it on.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
I picked a sponsor with years of sobriety and a quality of life that I couldn't imagine ever having..... and I began to get it

All the best.

Bob R

I too did this and I am extremely happy.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bjames View Post
The question to ask a possible sponsor is:

Have you had a spiritual awakening as a result of these steps?