Notices

Day 1 - Not a Good Start!!

Old 08-23-2012, 06:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey, I just read your post and while I haven't read all the responses, I can totally relate to your feelings right now and I found a solution (maybe not a long term one, but a solution nonetheless) that works for me. Some people despise this idea and some people think it's a lifesaver.

Ever hear of antabuse? It's a pill that prohibits the metabolizing of alcohol, which means that if you take the pill, you cannot drink. The pill stays in your system for days and it works. I've tested the theory. I took a pill every other day for about 3 weeks. Then, I wanted to drink so I stopped taking it. Tried to drink three days later and I'll tell you what - I honestly thought I would die right there on my bathroom floor. My heart never beat so fast, I had sweat pouring off me, my face was the color of a beet - all blotchy and gross. And that was from 1 shot of vodka (when I can easily finish a whole bottle in one night).

This pill helps deter me from drinking. It take the psychological game out of the equation. You don't spend your days/hours/minutes thinking about drinking - whether or not you should - whether or not you'll "quit tomorrow" - you just take the possibility out of the scenario. It's so unbelieveably empowering. I've had long term stints of sobriety while taking this and I just started again 2 weeks ago. While I understand there probably is alot more I need to do to stay sober for life, this "crutch" is so helpful, especially in the beginning, when you are unsure/unwilling to really quit.

Anyway, I got it online but doctors can prescribe it too. Just thought I'd throw the idea out there. I am a drinker, down to my core, I'm 30 years old, smart and normal - but alcohol is my poison and this pill has really helped me shut my nagging brain up. I just don't have a choice. I can't sneak it, I can't drink. Period.

Good luck and message me if you want to know more!