Notices

Dream a little dream of me

Old 08-19-2012, 07:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dream a little dream of me

Since I stopped drinking (about 5 1/2 weeks ago), my dreams have been extra vivid... something I attribute to not being completely trashed at bedtime and getting real, healthy sleep instead of just passing out in a drooling heap. But one thing I find totally disturbing is that almost every night I dream that I am drinking... sometimes I'll just dream that I have a beer in my hand, and some nights I will dream that I am in the store reaching for or paying for a case of beer; other nights I will actually dream that I am stumbling drunk and despairing at having fallen off the wagon. I wake up completely shaken and it takes me a half hour or so to realize that I am still sober and that I haven't touched booze.

Has this happened or does it happen to anyone else? Did it ever go away? I know that as problems go this is pretty frivolous but it's bothering me a lot so I thought I'd see if anyone else had this experience.

Thanks!
Lydia
Old 08-19-2012, 07:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Rochford, about 5 1/2 weeks? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lydia,
I had this reoccurring dream after I stopped smoking. I haven't yet had this dream about drinking. I'm sure it will pass in time though. Congratulations on your 5 1/2 weeks
Old 08-19-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ive been reading these boards the 89 days ive been sober now and dreams about falling off the wagon appear to be common.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

It's very common to have drinking dreams. I also have had smoking weed dreams, those are weird, too. I haven't had one in ages, but I may have one after reading someone's post like this! It happens.

Congrats on staying stopped!
Old 08-19-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for your responses! I'm hoping it will pass soon. Maybe it has something to do with the OTC sleeping pills I am taking... like many others I have found it very hard to sleep after my body has been used to passing out at night for so long. I used to have to drink a twelve-pack just to fall asleep.

I still don't know how I've made it over a month, over the last few years I've tried to quit over and over, but never made it more than a day or two. Something just clicked this time I guess. I must have been ready!
Old 08-19-2012, 08:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Spiritual Learner

I had the most vivid dreams also in the beginning of sobriety, I once woke up and had to walk around and see if this was real, HUH. I look at it as a reminder of what it was like something to keep me moving in the roght direction. I tried to use them instead of feeling depressed or like I was wrong, there was a healthy fear there of going back out!
That helped me step up my program and talk more about what was going on. Stay strong and God Bless you!!!