Notices

New to forum, seeking help for a friend

Old 08-19-2012, 03:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to forum, seeking help for a friend

I'm writing on behalf of a friend who's in a bad way. She became addicted to pain meds about fifteen years ago, and she's desperate to kick. She's 70 years old, she doesn't have much money, and I think she's close to suicide. What she wants is a short-term live-in rehab program, preferably on the West Coast, best of all in the Los Angeles area, that's effective yet inexpensive enough that she can scrape together the fee. She and her son are estranged, but I'm hoping he'll help with the money if she can convince him that she's serious about recovery. Can anyone here recommend a program? Thanks for reading and for any suggestions.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

The best thing to do is to have your friend talk with her dr or counsellor and have him recommend a rehab situation for her. I hope your friend decides to seek help for herself. If suicide is a possibility, she should go to the closest ER for help.

This is the information page on our website:

SoberRecovery : Directory Drug Addiction, Alcoholism and Mental Health Service Providers
Old 08-19-2012, 04:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Hi,

The best thing to do is to have your friend talk with her dr or counsellor and have him recommend a rehab situation for her. I hope your friend decides to seek help for herself. If suicide is a possibility, she should go to the closest ER for help.

This is the information page on our website:

[link omitted]
Thanks. I think she has no doctor she trusts now, and she's close to deciding that at her age life can bring nothing but further pain and loneliness, so she wouldn't go to the ER. Rehab is the only option that gives her any hope.

I'm hoping people who've tried specific programs, including those listed on your site, will weigh in with opinions. As I indicated above, money is a big factor. I have no experience in this area, so I don't know how much a program would cost.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Spiritual Learner

You can call 311 and ask for one in your area. There is no time limit on sobriety, just call a facility, I don't know what area you are in but some places do take low-no income clients but do to new healthcare they are very limited (I work in the field) they will set you an assessment date and then an admission date but first she will need to be medically detoxed first and I don't know but there are free detoxes just call 311 and tell your situation and they can help! God bless you and your friend I will keep them in my prayers!
Old 08-19-2012, 05:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, it really is better if your friend calls the facilities and asks the questions that are a concern to her.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Narcotics Anonymous or Alcoholics Anonymous are free. The harder part is the detoxing, but it's worth it!
Old 08-19-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Narcotics Anonymous or Alcoholics Anonymous are free. The harder part is the detoxing, but it's worth it!
Thanks. It's the detoxing she's looking for right now, but I'm sure going to meetings would help her afterward.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Yes, it really is better if your friend calls the facilities and asks the questions that are a concern to her.
I'm sure you're right. I'll tell her about the links on SoberRecovery's Detox Centers & Facilities page. It includes several in California, which is ideal, and a couple offer lower prices than I expected.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CraigA View Post
You can call 311 and ask for one in your area. There is no time limit on sobriety, just call a facility, I don't know what area you are in but some places do take low-no income clients but do to new healthcare they are very limited (I work in the field) they will set you an assessment date and then an admission date but first she will need to be medically detoxed first and I don't know but there are free detoxes just call 311 and tell your situation and they can help! God bless you and your friend I will keep them in my prayers!
Thanks. She seems sure of what she wants, which is a paid live-in facility. But I'll ask her about this.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CraigA View Post
And thanks for your good wishes. She's in a tough place. I hope she makes it out.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The Salvation Army offers free short term de toxes from
alcohol in many areas. They also have longer term live
in facilties ....however I have no idea what they do for
other addictions.

Hope this works out and you are a good friend to be asking.