Notices

Endless cycles of pain...

Old 08-14-2012, 10:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Endless cycles of pain...

Hi all,
I was doing better until this past weekend, on Sunday I had 3 glasses of wine and then a horrible stomachache and felt depressed and did not go to work yesterday. This is the most I have drank in some time. I know 3 does not sound like a lot but I am pretty sensitive to the effects of alcohol and I also recently broke up with an active alcoholic and have been feeling pretty depressed myself. I have struggled with depression and anxiety my whole life but I've been very sad my boyfriend is gone even though he was mentally ill and verbally abusive.

So last night I went to my first ever Life Ring meeting, I thought it was helpful. I really need to stop looking outside of myself for fulfillment to other people and substances and get back on the sobriety bandwagon where I feel a lot better.

I think tonight I am going to go to a SMART recovery meeting, I am uncomfortable with the AA model but I want to learn some tools for keeping me on a healthy path. I do not want to get into another relationship that gets ended up ruined by alcohol.

I went to a Buddhist meditation event a few weeks ago and the speaker said all we can do is clean up our side of the street, and let the other person clean up theirs. If they can't, then we say goodbye.

Back to Day 2 and counting...
Old 08-14-2012, 11:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Keep trying. Allow yourself to be selfish enough to remove all negative energies from your life. Replace the habitual alcohol drinks with ice cold bottled water, remove bars and friends who drink from your life for now. Allow yourself to realize, there is no 'edge' to take off life. The events of each day are simply life happening. Let it happen, sip water, cleanse your body and find sobriety.

That's what I did. Today is two years. Never thought I would be here, but I am.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by ZiggyB View Post
I really need to stop looking outside of myself for fulfillment to other people and substances and get back on the sobriety bandwagon where I feel a lot better.
Yes! That is so very important.

We need to be able to find peace and happiness within ourselves.

Good for you for checking out recovery methods that work for you.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks ya'll (Southern Girl in me coming out)

I will persist!
Old 08-14-2012, 04:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

there is no 'edge' to take off life
I'm going to remember that

Sorry you drank Ziggy, but it sounds like you are doing all the right things x
Old 08-14-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back to the right side of the road, Ziggy

D
Old 08-14-2012, 04:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Ziggy. That's why I had to stop playing with it and just kick it out of my life for good. It was bringing me to my knees every time I picked up in the end. It sounds like you're ready to do this. Congratulations on Day 2.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Hi Ziggy. That's why I had to stop playing with it and just kick it out of my life for good. It was bringing me to my knees every time I picked up in the end. It sounds like you're ready to do this. Congratulations on Day 2.
I feel ready... everything I have been reading makes so much sense, so I picked up the book by the Life Ring dude about how conflicted we are about whether to give up or not, and the conflict is a source of stress in itself and can even cause ppl. to drink/use more to deal with the stress of it all. So a light bulb moment went off in my head after that. I have not been drinking to excess or gone on any benders but why continue to do something that makes you feel yucky?

thanks for the support guys!
Old 08-14-2012, 08:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Kudos to you for seeking out different methods of therapy. I wish that I could be that open minded. It occurs to me that it's pretty hard to make a major change without an open mind!