Notices

Day 10, Feeling anxious

Old 08-06-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 10, Feeling anxious

Yesterday I felt really crappy, and today is not any better. Last night I was emotional and anxious all night, and even had a crying spell over something very tiny that my mom said which i decided to look waaay too deep into and analyze to the point of creating something that it wasnt. Needless to say I didn't drink even though we went out to eat and that would have been the time that I normally order a michelada or something of the sort. My husband said I was being negative all through dinner. But I resisted. I thought this feeling would pass, but tonight I feel equally as bad. Not as emotional, but much more anxious. Does anyone have any ideas if this ever passes, or how long it takes? My AV is screaming at me tonight.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Goldiilocks. I also have anxious feelings, now 15 days sober. I read somewhere to focus on the "now.". I am safe this minute, everything is ok for now, this exact minute. Try calling someone or maybe a short prayer?
Old 08-06-2012, 07:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Goldiilocks, it will probably come in waves. I've had calm clear days, and dark and stormy days-it's been 3 weeks on a roller coaster. I think alcohol deadens our feelings, and when it leaves our bodies the feelings start returning. Feeling emotional is a good sign in my book. I drank to block out emotions, sadness,shame,etc. It feels good to feel again, even if some of it is negative and hard. You can get through this!
Old 08-06-2012, 07:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys for the support. You both have very good points, I too have been trying to stay in the now, but its hard to sometimes snap out of the crazy anxiety I've been getting. I am going to go work out and hopefully I will feel better...
Old 08-06-2012, 07:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I'm not sure if it was the 2nd or the 3rd week, but I remember having some days where I wondered what was going on with me. Not just emotional but also irritability and brain fog, memory stuff...... I know it wasn't all in head because I found myself dropping things, too.

I guess it's all part of the process of healing. Keep trying to stay in the moment and slow down if you have to.... easy does it!
Old 08-06-2012, 08:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I guess it's all part of the process of healing. Keep trying to stay in the moment and slow down if you have to.... easy does it!
Indeed as this alcoholic and addict lived for me and the instant gratification, I wanted it all in sobriety in a week also. It doesnt work like that, it took me over 20 years to get here. It going to take a lot of time to learn this new life. Remember its just today, and the best part about the voice at night is , its usually gone in the morning.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Day 11. Feeling much better. Thank you all for the advice.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm going through the same thing. Very high anxiety, but I know it will pass however painful it is right now it is our brains starting to heal. I am on Day 23 and it has been a roller coaster ride of great, happy days to high anxiety days.

It will only get better with each hurdle we get over. I had 5 years sober before and remember the highs and lows of the first months, getting through them in crucial to remain sober. The reward of a peaceful life is worth the temporary angst.

IMT
Old 08-07-2012, 09:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Glad you feel better

Those bad things pass, just got to work thru them. Not drink over them, cause then it all just gets worse again.