Notices

quick update on the past weekend

Old 08-01-2012, 11:38 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

Originally Posted by Sentso View Post
So glad you gave the beer away, that's so great!

I've been touring a lot recently, as a musician, and it's truly scary how alcohol is everywhere, all the time... But I've been sober for 15 days today!

I still struggle after a gig, or after a day in the studio, but I find so much support on SR, it really helps me (I keep reading posts on my Iphone, even when I can't post myself). I guess it's the same for you.

Anyways, congratulations, really, you can be proud of yourself! Keep it up, I'm sure it should get easier at some point. We'll see!
Congrats on the 15 days. I just need more people like you to hang with at shows. We can do it
Old 08-01-2012, 11:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MetalChick View Post
Thanks,

Yes, there are many sober "metal heads" to hand around

Sorry, I meant "hang" around. No, I am not handing out sober "metal heads." LOL

I really need to re-read my posts before I hit submit, I guess my typing hasn't improved that much while sober
Old 08-01-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I am inspired, Metal Chick. Thanks for posting.

I play in a punk band, and have done three sober rehearsals so far (as well as heading home rather than heading to the bar.) It's getting easier every time, though I still look longingly at the beers my guitarists drink during practice. I have not played a sober show yet, but am up for the challenge. I think it'll be interesting.

Meantime, which bands did you see?
Old 08-01-2012, 12:40 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Good for you!
Old 08-01-2012, 03:39 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MetalChick View Post
I hear you loud and clear. I guess what I struggle with is that I have so many damn triggers. My biggest one is when I get lonely when my BF is out of the country. I start feeling very sorry for my poor self all alone in the apartment.
Shows are tough, but I am also usually pretty busy at them, but I do see the danger. Maybe I should skip the ones I just attend for fun now.. not sure. I just hate to miss certain bands that I know may not come around again for god knows how long

One of my biggest fears associated with quiting drinking was that I wouldn't be able to function, have fun again, or that I would forever live with horrible cravings for beer- like an oasis in the desert. I guess I though life would suck without it so bad that I would hate life.

Thanks for the advice, bb
I can relate. Im a musician myself. Have attended upwards of 500 shows Im sure. One of my biggest fears was losing my music.
After recovering through AA, I find music more enjoyable than ever. I have created my best music in sobriety. I used to think booze and etc. made me a better musician. Boy was I wrong.
Also, since recovering I have enjoyed many shows. I can be at ease and enjoy the music. Alcohol is not an issue if I am spiritually fit.

I think you said you are going to AA (forgive me if Im wrong). Keep working the steps. We are promised that we can go anywhere provided we are spiritually fit. Sobriety does not mean I have to give up having fun. Its quite the opposite.

Rock On!
Old 08-01-2012, 04:48 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Wow so many musicians around. And I thought I was alone! It's so comforting to read all your posts. We should have a musician thread! I'm still struggling, but staying sober. Triggers everywhere, all the time, on the road or in the studio.

Tomorrow's our second to last gig of the summer, then we'll be touring again from mid september to december. I so much wanna do the whole fall tour sober, that would be a great achievement.

But hey, one day at a time! Sober is the new cool!

I wish you all the best! xx
Old 08-02-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm not a musician, but I was a stagehand for twenty years before I got injured.
I understand the drinking culture around musicians, especialy metal bands. Oh man, the stories I could tell.

I'm also a big metal fan, MC, and punk.

Right before I quit drinking I went to an X show. I kind of know them from waaaay back, anyway, great selection of beer on tap from the bar. I got so drunk I literaly could not stand up. That was a sign to me that I could not control my drinking.

Spare yourself what I went through for many years. I was in a occupation where it was considered fine to drink. In fact, incouraged.

Believe me, it gets worse if you don't stop. I hope you don't have to go through the misery that I did for so long. I understand where you're coming from, and wish you all the best.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

BBthumber, Thanks for the encouragement. I see what you mean about being spiritually fit. And yes, I am going to AA; working the steps. It is a huge help, scary at times, but that is a good thing. This room is a huge help also. I am going to have to bring my phone to shows and bug you in pm if I need to.

ExLionTamer, Thanks, let us know how your first sober show goes, OK? The bands where black and death metal, but I do likes my punk

Sentso, that would be cool! Support for musicians, promoters, merch people, stagehands, guitar techs, etc… Bus or van on this tour ? Ha One of the hard parts is the waiting when you roll up to the venue and have hours to kill around free drinks and a bar. It does get pretty boring, so I think staying busy is important.

Ghostlight, glad you are a fan \m/. I bet you do have some great stories to tell for sure! My last drink was at a show as well. I am kind of glad that my last bad memory drinking was at a show, because it does strengthen my resolve not to drink at them.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

MC most of the time we had a bus but sometime for isolated dates we just had a van. In both cases it's complicated.

Staying occupied is essential. I went running a few times, always carried a book with me, watched series, listened to music. But staying sober while playing a lot of festivals is the hardest thing I know! I'm glad it's almost over... Till mid september!

I enjoy being on stage much more since I'm sober, weirdly.

And I don't wanna be one of these young musicians who get out of the bus at 2pm, hangover, smoking another cigarette and looking lost and exhausted. It's not what I like about music and though the whole rock'n'roll myth is tempting, it's just because it gives you some kind of cheap easy charisma. It's comforting in a sad way.