Notices

Do you feel cleaner?

Old 07-28-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do you feel cleaner?

I just wondered if anyone feels cleaner now sober,if that doesn't sound silly.

I'm now on day 27 and just feel cleaner to the point I'm embarrassed that I possibly used to smell of booze but no-one mentioned it. My mouth feels cleaner without a hangover.

I used to think I had some perspiration issues,despite at least 2 showers a day and using deo throughout the day.I now shamefully realize it was all booze related.It's amazing how booze knocks your body temp out of sync

My skin feels more hydrated and looks so much better

Alcohol really is pure poison-another reason
Old 07-28-2012, 07:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I do too.

I also take better care of myself too. Take my make up off before bed, so no panda eyes in the morning.
I like treating myself to treatments at the spa.
The only thing that upsets me is that my hair is falling out still.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Sasha

Thanks for your response.I'm also taking better care of myself.I look in the mirror and genuinely wonder what has happened to me over the last 10 years
Old 07-28-2012, 07:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Spot on JHE,

I don't think we realize how much we let "self care" go by the wayside. Get rid of the poison and just watch the subtle things that start to blossom again.

In early recovery I treated myself to new bed sheets, new make-up, new jammies etc. now that, is rewarding yourself...we MUST loose the notion that alcohol is a reward...at ANYTIME for ANYTHING.

And it only gets better
Old 07-28-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

lol on the panda eyes. I've been better about removing make up before bed too and skin looks better already. Better sleep is probably helping...
Old 07-28-2012, 07:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

I get what you are saying. I have not been consistently sober enough to have serious affects but I have lost 13 lbs. I have a flat stomach again. Yeah!

Glad your experiencing some great positive side affects of sobriety!

Good for you.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
I get what you are saying. I have not been consistently sober enough to have serious affects but I have lost 13 lbs. I have a flat stomach again. Yeah!

Glad your experiencing some great positive side affects of sobriety!

Good for you.
Wow-that's great,I wish I had!!
Old 07-28-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How nice is it waking up and your teeth not feeling like they are all wearing furry coats too?

Or that 60 birds have landed on your tongue in the night?
Old 07-28-2012, 11:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Oh yea. Scrubbed inside and out. Body,mind, and soul are now cleaned.

I know have daily maintenance to keep it that way.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Zee

Great Post JHE
I have found in my sobriety that my hair is thicker. It has also gone wavy (?)
I thought I used to have fine stright hair.
Strange.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justhadenough View Post
I just wondered if anyone feels cleaner now sober,if that doesn't sound silly.

I'm now on day 27 and just feel cleaner to the point I'm embarrassed that I possibly used to smell of booze but no-one mentioned it. My mouth feels cleaner without a hangover.

I used to think I had some perspiration issues,despite at least 2 showers a day and using deo throughout the day.I now shamefully realize it was all booze related.It's amazing how booze knocks your body temp out of sync

My skin feels more hydrated and looks so much better

Alcohol really is pure poison-another reason
Totally. I am almost embarrassed to admit this but I actually ended up cutting all my hair off because it was so greasy in my drinking days. Even after washing it a couple of times a day. I couldn't seem to fix it so I cut my hair short but now I've started growing it again and the condition is much better.

It's crazy to think what I used to do to work round the stuff that drinking caused.

I have a drawer full of electrolytes and milk thistle still, loads of anti wrinkle cream (I swear I have about half the wrinkles I did a few months ago, even with the puffiness going down), and tons of body moisturiser because I was so dehydrated if I just touched my skin it would leave a mark for at least 10 minutes! And all the special make up I had to cover up the redness too.

I have also eliminated the panda eyes now too
Old 07-28-2012, 11:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
Totally. I am almost embarrassed to admit this but I actually ended up cutting all my hair off because it was so greasy in my drinking days. Even after washing it a couple of times a day. I couldn't seem to fix it so I cut my hair short but now I've started growing it again and the condition is much better.

It's crazy to think what I used to do to work round the stuff that drinking caused.

I have a drawer full of electrolytes and milk thistle still, loads of anti wrinkle cream (I swear I have about half the wrinkles I did a few months ago, even with the puffiness going down), and tons of body moisturiser because I was so dehydrated if I just touched my skin it would leave a mark for at least 10 minutes! And all the special make up I had to cover up the redness too.

I have also eliminated the panda eyes now too
Thanks Hypo

I'm also using gallons of anti wrinkle cream-not sure if my wrinkles have reduced yet-how long did it take for you to notice yours reducing?

Am struggling to get rid of black circles under eyes tho.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It's only been 2 and a half weeks, but already taking better care of myself and my house. Starting to look like the old me and feel like the old me 
Old 07-28-2012, 11:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justhadenough View Post
Thanks Hypo

I'm also using gallons of anti wrinkle cream-not sure if my wrinkles have reduced yet-how long did it take for you to notice yours reducing?

Am struggling to get rid of black circles under eyes tho.
Maybe a couple of months. I also gave up smoking too though so I think that had a lot to do with it.

It's just nice to know now that any effort I make with my appearance is not going to be wasted because of drinking
Old 07-28-2012, 12:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I found that the dehydrated skin takes a while. Black circles too. And wrinkles.

Maybe less wrinkles cos I'm not seeing double now?

However, i am sure that I had all these before but was too lashed to notice.
Too held up in drinking that I deserved to treat myself.

Too sick and tired to take the time to spend on myself.

I think I was also so paranoid from boozing that i never wanted to spend time shopping for new clothes or make up. I just wanted to get home, lock the doors and draw the blinds and drink!

I could never go to a beauty counter and talk about skincare or make up as I felt I was one big lie.

I also notice how much it stinks when you walk into the bedroom of someone who ha been on a massive drinking session the next morning. it reeks! I have to open all the windows and let daylight in to get rid of that sweaty boozy stench.

Yak
Old 07-28-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks hypo

I know what you mean Sasha-I bought new clothes this week for the first time in months-may get new make up next
Old 07-28-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

OOOoo what did you get? xx
Old 07-28-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I joined a local club yesterday - the smell of booze and smoke really surprised me when I walked in the door.

I can only imagine I used to smell pretty bad - I was 'that drunk, maybe homeless guy' on the bus, frankly.

D
Old 07-28-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

just some of those 3/4 length summer trousers(have dropped a dress size!!) and a few tops-off to the seaside in a couple of weeks and had no summer clothes!!
Old 07-28-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I've noticed how much I can smell if someone has been drinking really easily now too. I always thought I did a good job of covering mine up with smoke and perfume but I doubt it was very effective.

And now that I've noticed the changes in myself I can spot other drinkers really easily...the puffy hand thing is a dead give away. I know people with arthritis whose hands weren't as puffy as mine were!