Notices

How many?

Old 07-27-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How many?

How many of us truly make plans on a Friday afternoon, knowing that the Witching Hour (at least for me)....at 5 pm, as I leave the office, is HERE.

....that, as our work day ends, and we head off, that "out of the blue", the cravings have suddenly descended upon us, and we have no plans to follow, to distract us from the inevitable, constant, severe, cravings?

I have started going to 2 meetings on Fridays, so that, when the 2nd meeting ends at 9:30 pm, I am ready to go home, do some dishes, watch some hockey on TV, and go to bed.

Can anyone relate?

....and passing the liquor store the way home, my car would suddenly, as if by magic, swerve into the parking lot - ugh.

Thank God for meetings, on a Friday night.

Hope all are well.

Kelly
Old 07-27-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can relate to all of it.

(Except the hockey ha!)

Fridays always were, and still are, tough for me.

I'll be hitting a 6 PM meeting. It definitely helps calm down my stupid alkie mind.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Yes I can totally relate. I go to a meeting every friday at 8:30, then some always go for ice cream or something after. Its become a great friday night.

Kelly your a girl after my own heart Hockey sweet. I grew up playing till I was in high school, then later I joined a adult league, I would love to get back to that.

Anyway your doing great, and have a wonderful night.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am male

But thanks for your kind words.

And yes, hockey rocks!

Kelly Patrick
Old 07-27-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me that craving/feeling has been every single night, but I can relate. I have done almost all of my drinking at home and in secret. Going out isn't really a problem for me, 'cause when I'm around people/friends, I drink very moderately. Wouldn't want them to think I was a lush, you know!

So anyway, usually by around 5:00 every day, I'm at work thinking about how much alcohol (wine) I have at home. I always had the one open bottle (the one my family knows about--that way I could pour my one little 5 oz glass and sip on it like civilized folk. Now the rest of the evening was spent with the secret ADDITIONAL bottles--cooking (and secretly drinking), cleaning (and secretly drinking), changing clothes (and secretly drinking) and maybe taking a shower (and...well it goes on...) I would buy and chug back several additional bottles each week, hiding them in various places, that way I could drink as much as I "needed" to without anyone in the family knowing. It was a lot of hard work, and much shame.

My car had to veer into the grocery store parking lot (to pick up wine, along with some other item, read:excuse) almost every day in order to keep myself in stock. Often I would wage a mental battle with myself from the office, down the freeway and right into the parking lot, arguing with myself over how I shouldn't buy any more wine! Usually I bought more because I knew I could't get by if I only had 2 glasses worth at home.

Without any wine now (open or secret) I am dealing with the fact that I have to come up with things to do to distract me so I won't just think about booze. This forum is a wonderful distraction, but while I'm cooking and such, I still think about my drinking--trying to focus now on staying clear, staying sober, breathing in and breathing out instead of just how to get in those sneaky drinks!

Two days in and strong--but keeping my guard up.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can relate... Many times I ended up either at LCBO to buy wine/beer or on a patio, Thursday nights were the worst for that...

No more cravings these days, and I can actually sit on a patio with friends and enjoy a good conversation while sipping on sparkling water or diet coke... Instead of "who is ready for another shot" approach.... Life is so much better now.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

OOOOppps my bad :rotfxko

Still keep doing what your doing
Old 07-27-2012, 01:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soulgypsy View Post
"...that way I could drink as much as I "needed" to without anyone in the family knowing. It was a lot of hard work, and much shame..."

"...Often I would wage a mental battle with myself from the office, down the freeway and right into the parking lot, arguing with myself over how I shouldn't buy any more wine! Usually I bought more because I knew I could't get by if I only had 2 glasses worth at home..."
Your story sure did ring a lot of bells for me, soulgypsy. I have (no drinking) plans with friends for tonight, though, along with a fairly full weekend of obligations. Staying busy is clearly part of my coping strategy in these early days.