Notices

why is 3 months sober tough?

Old 07-26-2012, 05:06 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

This is common from my experience. My belief is this. We are granted a period of grace when we first get sober. Some call it a "pink cloud." I prefer to think of it as God's grace. Call it what you will, it doesnt last forever. When I put down booze, I put down only answer to my problems that I knew. I put down the only thing that kept me from being bored. The only thing that allowed me to be comfortable in my own skin. I joined AA and recovered workinng the 12 steps. What that did was replaced alcohol as my only answer. I now have a permanent solution to my problems and a way to be happy, sober and free.

I think if we dont replace our addiction with a program of recovery we eventually use up that grace period and begin to once again become restless, irritable, discontent, bored, depressed, angry etc. When I used to try and quit on my own, I usually would get to a point where all of those bad memories of my last drunk suddenly didnt seem so bad. A drink became a good idea and I was worse off than I had been before I tried to quit. This is a disease. Thats a fact. We need to treat it otherwise we will continue to relapse.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I don't think I've ever had that 'pink fluffy cloud'. But I'm not complaining.
As to why 3 months is difficult, I can't comment. I haven't managed to get there... yet.
It's tempting to say I slipped up this weekend because of the news I had, but people have had worse stuff happen and not drank as a result. And, looking back over the two weeks before, the warning signs were there. Indeed, I'd been struggling all week.
I'm lucky that I didn't carry on on Sunday, because I don't know why I didn't...
Old 07-26-2012, 05:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I think we fool ourselves that our life is going to improve 10-fold in sobriety. I believe our quality of life improves dramatically as we are not poisoning ourselves, but the other changes are up to us.

I sometimes get those same feelings as if I'm not accomplishing enough, yet take a step back and look at where you may have been three months ago. By being sober you have the chance to accomplish more. There's no wasted days, mornings or nights. My only advice is don't beat yourself up.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone.There is sound advice there. Grim day here, not nice, need to shake cobwebs and walk the dog. Hoping I'll feel better when I get back.

thanks again
Old 08-01-2012, 01:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I think if we dont replace our addiction with a program of recovery we eventually use up that grace period and begin to once again become restless, irritable, discontent, bored, depressed, angry etc.
BBThumper, you've summed me up at 100 days... PLEASE say this gets better!!!
I was so good for the first 80 or so days, then I crashed :-(
Old 08-01-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm glad to follow this thread. I'm only at six weeks ( tomorrow ) , but felt the euphoria wash away about 10 days ago. I'm still glad to be sober, just don't feel as "excited" as earlier.....but think it would be tiring to remain that excited. A friend sent a few pics of their vacation in Maine, and it jolted me. Fresh lobster, roasted corn and a beautiful goblet of wine....arhhhh!!!!!
Old 08-01-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm at 11 months and I think my pink cloud burst at around 2-3 months. I had shared at a meeting how I was feeling and how I wanted more out of life than how I was feeling. The whole room just smiled. After the meeting I got many hugs and a few "welcomes" even though I had been there for a few months already. lol

It has been a roller coaster ride for sure. Physically and mentally. The greatest thing for me is staying connected to the rooms. I have a great support network, and my new sponsor is the bee's knees. I do a lot of service also. I can't help but just keep going back.

I was told early on that we only have to perfect the first half of the first step. Our lives will become unmanageable at times, but through living the other 11 steps we will get through it and come out better for it.