Notices

vertigo when sleeping. anyone else?

Old 07-19-2012, 09:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

vertigo when sleeping. anyone else?

this has been driving me crazy now and i was wondering if anyone else has been having this problem. i seem to be having vertigo at night and that leads to me having using dreams. i hate the dreams because they're so intense i wake up trying to puzzle out why i relapsed and so ashamed until i figure out that i was just dreaming. i also have vertigo when i wake up. it was infrequent at first but seems to be happening daily now. it passes quickly but my husband gets up before i do and if i try to fall asleep again after he leaves the bed, i'm sure to have either a using dream or a dream where i'm just spinning and spinning. it's maddening! i'm four and a half months sober and physically i'm doing fine. i had bloodwork done less than a couple of months ago and it all came back normal. i know when i was sobering up my first week i experienced horrible vertigo all day long for about the first 3 days then i had it in the mornings for the first couple of weeks. it went away after that only to show up again around the 4 month mark or so. anyone else have any experience with it?

and before anyone says it...i just got off the phone with my doctor's office and have an appointment for Tuesday. ;-)
Old 07-19-2012, 09:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

omgosh - my husband had vertigo. There are a few techniques to do, but other than that, not much else for him other than wait. Luckily, it passed after about 3 weeks. Still. Tough. He saw his regular doctor, and an ENT. Oh I hope this passes for you.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had something like that when I was drinking or in between nights drinking a few times. I was told it was probably something else. My hearing went weird and off balanced, the whole room was spinning forward mostly I think, not side to side, i felt sick and couldn't even walk. I don't know what it was but it was really weird. Of course I kept on drinking and it only happened rarely. It was like after you get off one of those really fast gravity spinning things at an amusement park.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My husband had that a while back completely unrelated to alcohol. He saw a dr and an ENT. It has something to do with a little floating bone in your ear which becomes dislodged (as you can see, I'm no dr.-sorry for the lame description). They tried a few different meds and told him to do special exercises. You can google vertigo and it will give you the techniques. Hope it helps-it drove him nuts until it went away.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

thanks, jennikate! i'll look that up and see if there's something i can do about it. it wouldn't be so bad if only it didn't lead to me having using dreams.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes!! I get terrible dizziness every time I lay horizontal or even if I lay my head to one side!! It doesn't cause me any problems during the day but I was going to get a doc's advice when I get time to go!
I assumed it was a side effect from the meds I take for depression as it has got worse the happier and healthier I've become, may be an indication I don't need them any more? I will try and get an appt next week. Very strange others have it too x
Old 07-19-2012, 12:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I got vertigo really bad, sometiems even when I was sitting everything seemd to go around. There are some exercises you can do mostly epley manoever. Soemthing is stuck in your ear canal and doing these moves helped me get it out.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Like I said, you should see a doc. There are some exercises you can do, but you really need a pro to show you how. Our doc did them right in the room and they are very strange. There are pebbles in your ear that tell your brain which way is up. If they get knocked off then you are confused as to which way is up - hence vertigo.

A scientist in my state discovered a type of "cure" and she basically self-treated itself. It's tough because there really isn't a cure and no one really knows how to handle it.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

thanks for all the replies everyone! i'm off to the doc Tuesday (hopefully...i get my work schedule for my new job in just a little bit. i totally forgot about that and if there's a problem i'll have to reschedule the appointment). thank goodness the vertigo isn't a debilitating problem. just a major annoyance. it's nice to see that other people have had similar issues. it could be my medication too. i'm on a lot of stuff and this symptom started manifesting about the time that the drugs started reaching their appropriate saturation in my body to start being fully effective. meh. we'll see!
Old 07-19-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

When I'm just drifting off to sleep, sometimes I get a terrible falling feeling.

Bruno.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

My 'vertigo' kicks in just as my mind finally clears before sleep, keeps me awake some nights, others nights I can get right on past it. Sort of a dementia \ brain half asleep feeling... still at near 10 months.