Notices

0 days sober ..

Old 07-13-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

0 days sober ..

Hey,
I dunno where to start. I'm 18 and from Cardiff. Since February of this year I've been diagnosed with depression and put on medication, after getting suspended from my college for being drunk. When this first happened I was doing well for a bit and stayed of the drink for about a month. I went back to college, and was okay for about a week, and then it all started again.

Anyways, I ended up leaving the college. Since then there have been hardly any days where if I leave the house, I'm not drunk. Today I did the exact same again. And I've just come home and feel really bad about it. I've stolen some of my parents money today aswell, and feel bad about that, even if they don't find out. I hate seeing my parents really stressed out when they see me like this, it has affected them aswell. I know I probably seem selfish, why do I continue? But I would love for everything to get back to normal, I don't like whats become of me over the last year. I've lost a lot of friends, most people (apart from my parents) have given up on me, I don't think anyone takes me seriously anymore. And because of this, I feel it's made it worse, as sometimes I feel quite lonely and stuff.

Anyways, I've made a promise to myself from today that I want to be sober and never drink again. Or atleast not drink for 3 months, and then only drink when it's appropriate. I really hope I can do this and it goes well. Starting a new college in September and would love to make something of myself there. I think it's cool that there are these forums here for other people like me.

So yeh, that's kinda my story.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Zee

Hi and welcome.
You say you are on medication for depression. Alcohol can exagerate the symptoms.

I agree that you should take some time off the alcohol for a while to let your medication work. You may be suprised at the result when the tablets are allowed to do their job

Just remember that you are young. Decisions that you make now are very important. Might be a good idea to talk to your parents or doctor about your worries
Old 07-13-2012, 04:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Amaan!

I'm glad you posted.

Alcohol is a depressant so it's likely making things worse for you. Stopping drinking will be a good choice. It might be a good idea to get some counselling, too, if that's possible.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR AmaanQ

I very nearly cocked up my college education by taking a 6 month drinking break...I was very lucky not to have gotten kicked out. You are making the best decision to quit drinking. This is a really good opportunity for a fresh start. Glad you're here x
Old 07-13-2012, 04:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome amaanQ

I think it's great you're thinking about this now
You'll find a lot of support and ideas here - look forward to seeing you around

D
Old 07-13-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome AmaanQ,

I take zoloft for depression and believe alcohol interferes with it's effectiveness. Welcome, I'm new here too.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

welcome. glad you are here.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You can do this buddy. Put your education ahead.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome AmaanQ!

You're making a great decision - most of us have found that our drinking got worse over time, so you'll be saving yourself a lot of future torment if you stop now. Sounds like you have some time before going back to school to focus on getting sober, which is great!

Look forward to seeing you around the forum.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Mae bob amser yn gobeithio!

Helô AmaanQ, Croeso!

Sut ydych chi? Ydych chi'n siarad Cymraeg? If not, we can communicate in English as I think I have a fair grasp of the language.

I come from Tretomos (Trethomas), which as you know, is about 16 kilometers north of Cardiff. So, I guess you could consider me an expat.

So, depression and alcohol. I know them both very, very well. I began drinking when I was 18 and drank constantly for 12 years. I quit for 20 years. During that time I was diagnosed with Clinical Depression. The docs put me on meds but despite that I began to drink again and continued for another 14 years. Well, that ended my Professorship at university. They couldn't fire me since I was a tenured professor. Nevertheless, I couldn't function any longer so I took an early retirement.

About all I can offer you is a wee bit of my own history with the "Beast." I am not about to bore you with any of that now. You will, no doubt, get much input from a lot of great folks on this forum. They're all here to assist you in any way they can as am I.

So, hwyl fawr am nawr!

Gwaredd

Cymru am blyth!