Notices

Headaches

Old 07-09-2012, 12:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Headaches

Hi,

I'm not asking for medical advice just wondered if anyone else experienced this in early withdrawal

I'm on day 8 so thought the physical side of things would be over by now. I do feel miles better but since yesterday I've had a really heavy headache. It's not a pain as such, more a muggy, heavy feeling. Painkillers won't shift it. I'm half wondering if it's the weather as it is very close and humid here. Or it could be my new mattress which is dreadful and left me with neck and shoulder pain too!

Or is it likely to be withdrwal so many days later. I've not replaced booze with sugar this time which I did last time so maybe it's sugar withdrawal too.

I know no on can say what it is-just wondered if anyone else had experienced it and if so, how long for. Thanks everyone
Old 07-09-2012, 01:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

To be honest, my entire second month was beset by constant headaches. It wasn't unbearable, just annoying. Don't worry too much about it JHE but maybe if it doesn't go away you could ask your doctor about it x
Old 07-09-2012, 02:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Seo

Yes I also suffer from really bad headaches when going through withdrawal, to the point that they border on Migraines. They last no more than one to two days though.

I have no idea exactly what causes them but I think its clearly got something to do with chemicals in the brain which adddiction seems to numb.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had that too. At 2 weeks sober I did go to the dr. I was glad I did. Sobriety rocks! Good job!
Old 07-09-2012, 04:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hiya, thanks everyone.That's it hypochondriac-they aren't crippling just niggling, annoying and there.

Just been for a 2 hour walk which has helped clear my head.x
Old 07-09-2012, 04:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It does get better JHE. When I was drinking I used to get really annoying migraines that used to make my head feel like it was trapped in a vice and they'd last for months! I loved my annoying little recovery headache I bet even sober people get headaches from time to time but I'd imagine they're nothing compared to the ones us drinkers have had! Hope you feel better soon x
Old 07-09-2012, 04:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thank you,you are very kind

I love this site. It brings me a certain peace. I am home.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

jhe, are you going to AA meetings?

Yes, I had horrible headaches in the beginning (and for quite a while before recovery).

I had a brain scan done early in recovery ... they didn't find anything. (take that any way you want)

My AA sponsor said there was nothing wrong with my brain, it was good as new... never been used !

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-09-2012, 05:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Bob,

No i'm not going to AA. I know there is no point going to my doc. to be fair they aren't tht bad that I would go-they are just uncomfy.

I thought the headaches would cease after 2-3 days-they obviously linger much longer. thanks
Old 07-09-2012, 05:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justhadenough View Post
Hi Bob,

No i'm not going to AA. I know there is no point going to my doc. to be fair they aren't tht bad that I would go-they are just uncomfy.

I thought the headaches would cease after 2-3 days-they obviously linger much longer. thanks
2-3 months is more like it in my case.

I finally gave them to my H.P. ... and he took them. A good lesson for me.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-09-2012, 06:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

Most headaches are from toxins that are leaking into our bodies through our intestines, when the walls of our intestines get thinned. Alcohol and drugs are chocked full of toxins!!
I try and eat a good diet, and take a lot of fiber foods. I also use castor oil packs on my abdomen to help me with headaches. They can get really painful, and I hardly get them anymore.