Notices

Why?

Old 07-08-2012, 06:58 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

She is jealous that you have made a healthy decision and are doing something GOOD. Considering her drinking I bet she feels pretty crappy about herself. Hangovers suck but the feelings we have the days that follow..guilt, anxiety, nervousness, irritability, more anxiety...that is hell. I bet she feels pretty lowly right now.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:00 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OCDDan View Post
I know it goes over like a lead fart when i talk about quitting
"Lead Balloon"?

Mixed metaphors make me laugh!

Old 07-08-2012, 07:07 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

I can't hang with my old friends for that reason. They don't want to look at themselves and have to admit they are problem drinkers also.
I have always known I was an alcoholic, since I was 18 or 19. If I came across anyone that had stopped drinking, I would have probably reacted the same way. We don't want anyone to say anything about our drinking because we already know it is out of control.

Just keep sending her loving thoughts, love is the only way to remedy it. I would pray form them to have the Will of God in their lives, for only by the Will of God will anyone get better.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I text my closest friend this morning about what happened, and she admitted that although she wholeheartedly supports me, she had also worried about how the changes in me would affect our friendship. She worried that I might start making judgements on her drinking, or make her start facing her own issues when she didn't want to.
I appreciate her honesty, and we are such good friends that I can't see us being any different.
I did tell her that I'm having to be single-minded and focused at the moment. I am still mindful of the effects of my sobriety on others but I can't afford to change my direction. Do you think that's fair?
My friend is a normal drinker but her husband is an alcoholic in denial. His behaviour can ruin evenings, and I guess she worries that I will become less accepting of that.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post
Thanks guys. I text my closest friend this morning about what happened, and she admitted that although she wholeheartedly supports me, she had also worried about how the changes in me would affect our friendship. She worried that I might start making judgements on her drinking, or make her start facing her own issues when she didn't want to.
I appreciate her honesty, and we are such good friends that I can't see us being any different.
I did tell her that I'm having to be single-minded and focused at the moment. I am still mindful of the effects of my sobriety on others but I can't afford to change my direction. Do you think that's fair?
My friend is a normal drinker but her husband is an alcoholic in denial. His behaviour can ruin evenings, and I guess she worries that I will become less accepting of that.
you can't drink just to keep others happy and the status quo.you have to put yourself first and look after you. Neither you nor your friend cn control wht her husband does.

It sounds selfish but the only thing you should be concentrating on is your own sobriety. If other people don't like it then that is their problem. good luck
Old 07-08-2012, 11:35 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

I agree with everyone else. She is probably worried about herself but has been ignoring it. She is uncomfortable with seeing someone else do what should be done. People will always have something negative to say. I recently added "quit drinking" to my facebook timeline. Almost immediately I had a comment that said "Dislike" from a guy i know that's ALWAYS in a bar. I just responded "Sorry you feel that way! It's what's best for me" some people will never get it.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:07 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone xxx
I'm not going to change direction, not for anyone. I'm fully focused on getting well and if others don't like it, I think they probably need to look at why that threatens them!
Old 07-08-2012, 01:07 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

It would be great to save the world or every person we love.

But I guess it is already pretty much hard to save ourselves. And I don't know what you think, but you have to be extremely strong to do that. Extremely.

I wish you a great week cause you deserve peace after all the struggle.