Notices

Sick and tired of being sick and tired

Old 07-06-2012, 03:52 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey Boykin, welcome to SR

I'm sorry that you feel that people are doubting your plan before you started. It is only because of our own personal experience and that is what we share here.

This is from the friends and family forum but it may help explain:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-they-do.html

I'm not entirely sure about the rules here but I think there is one on not 'promoting' alcohol use, so no one is going to actively encourage you to drink. But there are LOTS of people here who are drinking.

No one can make you skip parts of your journey, though my first instinct is to want to save people from having to go through what I went through. If you have truly never tried moderation then you will need to go through that. Most formal plans for moderation do tend to start of with a short period of abstinence though, just to break the cycle.

You have managed to cut your alcohol consumption down by half which is a huge achievement and a good start, so well done
Old 07-06-2012, 04:04 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

That is what brought me into AA again. In fact, that is what brought me into AA all the other times I tried to get sober.

I was sick and tired. I had to get step 1 down and ingrained in my mind. I am still doing that today.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:18 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hi Boykin,

I suppose many of us are here because moderation never worked very well for us (with me it always gradually went back to where I was before, so 3-4 months after saying I'd moderate it was impossible to see any real difference).

But if you like the sound of a couple of beers then perhaps you're good for it. I always wanted more than that (3-5 pints most nights) to get the right 'level' of intoxication. I ended up very calculating - I knew how much made me feel good, but knew the limit where I couldn't function well the following morning. I'd even look at the percent alcohol content of the beer to get the total amount 'just right'. In some ways I was very 'controlled' but the control still meant I neglected more important things and I knew I was putting far too much load on my liver for too long.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

boykin,
i think what may be happening is that many of us don't have any experience with successfully moderating our drinking, and found sobriety to be the answer. so, speaking for myself at least, i wouldn't be the right person to give advice for your situation. if you want to stop, i feel i can add more to the conversation.
this is a very supportive community, and i wish you the very best.
i hope you will continue to post
Old 07-06-2012, 02:15 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Boykin - I hope you will stay with us. We aren't trying to drive you away! If we sound negative/skeptical to you, it's because - as Hypochondriac said - we're trying to save you from having to go through the pain that we experienced. It may be possible for you to limit your intake and drink normally - it's just that it isn't very likely.

I was still drinking when I first joined, and kept on for a few months until I decided to stop all together. Regardless of what you decide to do about drinking, you can learn a lot by being part of us. Hoping you won't go!
Old 07-06-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Hi and Welcome to SR, I am a fellow Texan myself well was. I grew up in The Woodlands. Anyway do what you like try drinking normally if you do more power to you. And if it fails I we will still be here to offer advice.

"We do not like to pronounce any individual as alcoholic, but you can quickly diagnose yourself. Step over to the nearest barroom and try some controlled drinking. Try to drink and stop abruptly. Try it more than once. It will not take long for you to decide, if you are honest with yourself about it. It may be worth a bad case of the jitters if you get a full knowledge of your condition. " pg. 31 BB
Old 07-06-2012, 07:32 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Folks,
Thanks so much for the support.
As I said in a prior post, quitting is NOT off the table, this is just where I am starting from.
It's day 4 for me and I am doing better than my expectations; did not even reach the limits I set myself.
Also, I walked two miles today and felt better than I have in a long time.
The only problem I am having is sleeping. It is difficult when all you know how to do is pass out.......I lay awake a lot of the night, might get 2-4 scattered hours filled with vivid and disturbing dreams, then watch the sun gradually flood through the blinds. Still, when I do get up and around, I'm feeling noticeably better than I have felt in a good while.
We'll see where it goes. I'll be around.
Thanks again, and

Regards,
Boykin

ALSO, @IndaMiricale, thanks, and nice to meet you, my sister lives up in the Woodlands, love it up there.........
Old 07-07-2012, 04:43 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hoping for the best for you, Boykin. Glad you posted.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:19 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hiya Boykin,

I remember that sleeping was tough for me in the beginning too. I also remember patting myself on the back and saying, I'll manage through the day because it's a million times better than the "pass out" sleep you THINK you're getting.

I'm glad you posted too
Old 07-07-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Kicking anti-depressants is in no way comparable to alcoholism. I was on paxil and tapered off it easily. I wasn't addicted to paxil or obsessed with it. Alcohol I still struggle with daily...
Old 07-08-2012, 08:35 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jitterbugg View Post
Kicking anti-depressants is in no way comparable to alcoholism. I was on paxil and tapered off it easily. I wasn't addicted to paxil or obsessed with it. Alcohol I still struggle with daily...
Very useful, thanks for that, I will remove having brain zaps, isomnia and withdrawal tremors for three months from withdrawing from six years of Cymbalta from my list of accomplishments, now that you have pointed out how relatively easy it is.

Regards,
Boykin
Old 07-08-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

how can we make this thread positive again?
boykin, how can we help support you?
Old 07-08-2012, 03:40 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by changer View Post
how can we make this thread positive again?
boykin, how can we help support you?
I'm good, thanks for asking...and I am also glad to be here, and thankful for the fellowship.
I just don't understand some people sometimes, that's all.

Regards,
Boykin
Old 07-08-2012, 04:03 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Nobody does, and I am guilty of saying things without thinking also.

I am glad your here with us too. Growing in sobriety each and everyday is what I try.