Notices

Very Nervous Newcomer

Old 07-03-2012, 07:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Swash10 View Post
have also made appointments with local organisations to speak with people to find a way forward
I love this about the UK, IME these organisations are lifesavers So is AA, for many people.

You need to relax - you're not the only addict on the planet Do you think that you're nervous about taking these steps (congrats on being proactive), or about recovery itself (never drinking again etc). If it's the former, all you need to do is sit down and listen. If it's the latter, try to turn that anxiety into excitement... you can't do anything about the past, but a grand new life is waiting for you. Actually, it has already here By reaching out, you've already come a very long way, sadly many addicts don't get to this stage.

If you are having physical symptoms of anxiety, please check in with your doc (it's not withdrawal is it?). You can also search the web for relaxation techniques, controlled deep breathing works wonders.

Welcome to SR, Swash
Old 07-03-2012, 08:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Swash, welcome to SR!

I'm so glad you've joined us and decided to live a sober life. Going to a meeting is a good plan, and don't forget, there is always support here. We do understand.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Welcome Swash,

Essex girl turned Geordie here :-) Well done on making a start on your new, better, brighter future. Good luck xx
Old 07-03-2012, 09:41 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

welcome Swash! Great group of people here. We are all rooting for you.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:45 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Swash!

It's great that you've decided to get sober and that you're getting support. Don't worry too much about the meeting - everyone there remembers how it was when they first walked in. Just try to be patient with yourself - keep it simple and take it one step (one day) at a time. Things really will get better.

Glad you're joining us!
Old 07-03-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Welcome-you're in the right place!
Old 07-03-2012, 01:27 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

im in the uk from geordie land lol similar story here. i became a lying selfish immature person since i drank. iv lied to my mam asking to borrow money for household stuff but was really for drink, my boyfriend has to take out loans to pay bills as iv drank the money, my boyfriend would tell me we couldnt have a drink one night as we were skint and id go in a right huff and not talk to him so then hed have to find a way of getting the money, i have spent my own childrens money on drink adn i have also resulted in drink driving just to get more drink and the list goes on. after 9 years of it (thats excluding my teenages years which that would turn it into about 14 years), it eventually hit me and i spoke to the doctor immediately and now im waiting to go to rehab and i am so excited to never drink again woo hoo i am fully aware i will have bad days but when i think what the future could bring without drink it makes me feel excited and someone posted a message on here about a documentary on you tube following 4 alcoholics which i watched so if i ever feel the need to drink after rehab i will sit and watch that and realise drinks not worth it. hope everything works out for you, take care of yourself and your family
Old 07-03-2012, 03:32 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi sharp, whereabouts in Geordieland are you?

Good luck with rehab and keep us posted x
Old 07-04-2012, 12:57 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

im near sunderland so more of a mackem really lol