Notices

New looking for answers

Old 07-01-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!
Old 07-04-2012, 08:03 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I am not sure why drinking is important to me. It has been a big part of my life for so long. I never learned to drink responsibly and everything we do for fun involves drinking. My husband and I met at a bar and I am afraid that we will have nothing in common if I quit drinking.

I thank you all for your comments. I am really considering all you have said.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:44 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Even though I could control what I drunk I have just an endoscope which shows varices. This confirms cirrhosis and portal hyper tension.

Even when you think you are in control you can and probably are causing serious damage thats at present irreversible.

If you are worried get checked out by your doctor.

Cutting down or stopping completely can only help.

Explaining you have quit is much easier than dealing with the complications.

Cov.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:55 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

My appoligies.

I was venting about my own problems.

Cov.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:58 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Glad to hear you stopped by and said hi to your group Itchy I am sure they missed you!!!!!!!
Old 07-04-2012, 11:04 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

That's a great story, Itchy.

Grh, I don't know if we ever completely figure out why alcohol is important to us, but I finally had an epiphany the day before I got sober. I figured out that alcohol was a comfort to me ... I could use it to shut the world out, curl up in my little cocoon, watch TV, and just hide away. What I didn't see was that I was also shutting out LIFE. I couldn't leave the house because I wasn't sober enough to drive .... I wasn't participating in my kids' lives or even MY life ... I didn't have the mental faculties to get out and enjoy the beautiful country we live in ...

I had to weigh what was more important to me ... hiding away in that safe, little (lonely) cocoon or being an active participant in my life and the lives of the people I love. Don't get me wrong ... I loved that little cocoon ... it kept me safe for a long time and gave me comfort ... but LIFE is so much better. I have the BEST relationship with my kids now and that alone has been such a great reward. I thought I would never be able to live without alcohol ... now I can't imagine living WITH it. It took sooo much from me.

All I can say is this: give sober living a try. What have you got to lose? Give it 90 days and see how you feel. I think you just might decide that it has a lot more to offer you than a few beers do. Glad you're here.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by covrecover View Post
Different countries probably have different recommendations on drinking. What is suggested on mainland Europe is probably quite different from the UK, and USA. I have not go a clue what advice is given in the Czech Republic but given they drink more beer per person than any other country I hate to think what the advice would be.

The other thing in the UK is that if you are an addict the advice give is not to just stop like I did, but to see you doctor as some of the withdrawal symptoms can be very very serious. The basic test seems to be if you can regularly do 2 or 3 days a week without having a drink you are not considered an addict, and if you want to stop the chances are you will not have withdrawal symptoms.

Please remember this is the advice given in the UK, and may be considered completely wrong in other countries.

Cov.
I'm in the UK and I haven't heard this. I would regularly in fact usually have 2 or 3 days off as my pattern of drinking was every other day. Drink day, hangover day, drink day, hangover day... so in a week of drinking Mon/Wed/Fri/Sun that would give me 3 days off. 2 bottles of 13% wine each session (at least) totalling over 80 units per week whereas the recommended amount is no more than 14.

It was recommended that you should not drink every day and every other day gives your liver a rest, but I suspect that was aimed at those who drink 1/2 glasses of wine per day.

Sorry I'm just really confused as to where you have gotten your information from
Old 07-04-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Originally Posted by covrecover View Post
My appoligies.

I was venting about my own problems.

Cov.
It's your thread, so vent away!

I think we can all relate to what your feeling. I was terrified to give up alcohol, wondering if I'd ever have fun again, worrying that life would be worse without the one thing I looked forward to every day. On the other hand, I knew I had to stop because I just couldn't keep living that way. It was already going downhill.

I don't know what it was that made me finally take the leap. Part of it was hearing others say that their lives were so much better sober, and hoping it would be the same for me. Another part of me just wanted to "get it over with," get sober and move on with my life, instead of waiting for something bad to happen to motivate me.

I haven't had a chance to welcome you, so hello and welcome! This is a great place and we're here to support you!
Old 07-04-2012, 11:33 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

grhcl5 ,

I found AlAnon ( AA ) to be of great help for me in my addictions.
I hade several.
Good luck & Gods speed!
~Hugs~
Old 07-04-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

In the UK the advice given was a few drink free days a week. This does seem to have lbeen watered down. Its not said as much now.

I did find the following link Alcohol and Sensible Drinking | Health | Patient UK

A recent study in the UK also recommends at least 2 days a week alcohol free. see BBC News - Two drink-free days a week needed, MPs' report says

As for stopping drinking I cannot find the article I read, but basically if you can go 48 hours without a drink and not get withdrawal you are not an addict. You may well be a heavy drinker who is harming themselves like I was.

Cov.