Notices

Day 1, I can do this right??

Old 06-28-2012, 04:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1, I can do this right??

I can do this, I can stop drinking so I will feel better. Sometimes I wonder why I do it in the first place. That want to be numb kicks in and I forget about how terrible I will feel, the guilt and shame that follow.

I prayed a few minutes ago for God to give me strength and help. I then turned on my computer to look up vitamins and this web site came up. I felt like he anwsered me.

Nice to know I'm not alone. It's been a secret for so long and I've never talked to anyone about it.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome and you are are not alone
Old 06-28-2012, 04:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

you can absolutely do this startingova - lots of support encouragement and ideas here

D
Old 06-28-2012, 04:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are not alone at all. You can do this! This site has everyone you can possibly imagine from those that are just starting off, thinking of starting, have been sober for multiple years, people who are relapsing, and those like me that are still trying to find their way, etc. Just take it all in, ask questions, and get some confidence going!! But it all starts from within! They can only give you advice, they can't put the drinks down for you.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is a good place to come to if you are trying to stop drinking. Welcome!
Old 06-28-2012, 04:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by startingova View Post
I prayed a few minutes ago for God to give me strength and help. I then turned on my computer to look up vitamins and this web site came up. I felt like he anwsered me.
That's how I ended up in AA...Welcome to SR!
Old 06-28-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I like your username - are we cousins?

Can you do it? Folks have been having alcohol issues since the first wine was made (Noah had a glass or two while building the ark apparently), and have been finding ways to quit since then. Can you be one of them? You betcha. It can be simple or complicated, easy or hard.

If you want to stop drinking, SR is a great place to be. Welcome!
Old 06-28-2012, 04:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm on day 16 no alcohol (drank about 29 days a month and anywhere from 6 to 20 drinks for years), and 14 days since last librium, 10 days since last cigarette. I have been taking B complex vitamins, fish oil, and sometimes vit D 53 if I don't get out in the sun. Also exercising and trying to sleep 8 hours (that's a tough one with 2 kids and a wife in school). Also just started a new job. IT'S BEEN HARD, fought off more anxiety attacks in the last 2 weeks than I did all last year. I would say just accept that there are going to be terrible days, average days, some good days. Stay as positive as you can, stay in the moment, I like to tell myself to bring joy every opportunity to this world.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, SR has helped me, for sure...
Old 06-28-2012, 11:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome startingova -

I also felt like it was no coincidence that I found this place when I did. I was tired of being miserable, but couldn't stop on my own. The support here made a huge difference and I know it will for you, too!
Old 06-29-2012, 12:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Yes, yes you can do this. Welcome to SR, Startingova.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. It's a fantastic place to be if you want to be around people like you, people who have a huge amount of knowledge on this subject and lots and lots of support. You definitely CAN do this! Good for you for making the decision to be sober. Good luck x
Old 06-29-2012, 04:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Welcome SO and kylfra,
This is my 29th day so far and 2 things have changed this time that seem to be having a profound impact on how well I am doing at quitting. 1 is that I found SR. It has really helped me feel like i am not alone doing this and there is great advice on this board. 2. I made a 100% commitment that I have had my last drink and that my life will be one without alcohol for the rest of my life. I always thought I was committed to sobriety in the past, but truthfully I wasn't. I was about quitting most of the time with a long list of exceptions. If you are an alcoholic, there can be no exceptions.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by duane1 View Post
Welcome SO and kylfra,
This is my 29th day so far and 2 things have changed this time that seem to be having a profound impact on how well I am doing at quitting. 1 is that I found SR. It has really helped me feel like i am not alone doing this and there is great advice on this board. 2. I made a 100% commitment that I have had my last drink and that my life will be one without alcohol for the rest of my life. I always thought I was committed to sobriety in the past, but truthfully I wasn't. I was about quitting most of the time with a long list of exceptions. If you are an alcoholic, there can be no exceptions.
Thanks to everyone for the support!! I could really use some friends right now.

I started drinking wine about 16 years ago. I didn't care that I had it every night. It helped me relax after dealing with two kids and a verbally abuse husband. Two years ago my dauther broke her back my son also went into a deep depression because of it. There is nothing worse then seeing your children hurt. Its been so stressful that I turned to wine. I'm drinking a bottle of wine a night and I need to stop. How can I be there for my kids when I just want to check out.

On a positive note I made it through my first day:bounce
Old 06-29-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congrats on making it through your first day...It's not a bad idea to consult with your doctor...Let him know what you are doing...What you've been drinking. Just to be on the safe side and maybe he can offer something to make the process easier. Best wishes for you on your new journey...Use this site and get all the support you can.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by startingova View Post
I can do this, I can stop drinking so I will feel better. Sometimes I wonder why I do it in the first place. That want to be numb kicks in and I forget about how terrible I will feel, the guilt and shame that follow.

Nice to know I'm not alone. It's been a secret for so long and I've never talked to anyone about it.
Welcome and STAY with us!!!!! I found this place last month and was wanting to quit... I was searching on the internet. I've been sober since May 13th...

There is SO much support here, so much to read! If you get scared, login! Post, talked to someone!

You can do this!

-RDY
Old 06-29-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Know that you have the ability within yourself to become free from the influence of alcohol. What I needed was some encouragement to find my own way out of addiction.

Maybe aquatint yourself with all the various recovery programs that can change your life Recovery Programs and Resources Information - SoberRecovery and of course keep up your involvement here at SR as this place is a recovery program in of its self.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Congrats on making it through your first day...It's not a bad idea to consult with your doctor...Let him know what you are doing...What you've been drinking. Just to be on the safe side and maybe he can offer something to make the process easier. Best wishes for you on your new journey...Use this site and get all the support you can.
Sapling, I'm afraid to talk to my doctor. I don't want anyone to know. I feel like if it comes out then it will come back to haunt me.

I did a little research and bought some vitamins. I'm taking Lecithin, b-complex and L-glutamine as well as Milk thistle tea. I slept through the night last night which I haven't done in months.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rdytoquit View Post
Welcome and STAY with us!!!!! I found this place last month and was wanting to quit... I was searching on the internet. I've been sober since May 13th...

There is SO much support here, so much to read! If you get scared, login! Post, talked to someone!

You can do this!

-RDY
RDY, I'm right behind you. Maybe we can support each other!! Nights are the hardest. I'm busy all day but 7pm kicks in. My witching hour.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Sure Startinova, PM me any time! If you need to chat or anything, let me know!

-RDY