Notices

What (almost) 3 months of sobriety can do...

Old 06-28-2012, 03:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What (almost) 3 months of sobriety can do...

Hi everyone,

On July 1st I'll have been sober for three months. I just thought I'd make a post about all the things that have changed in my life for everyone who is struggling at the beginning, to let you all know that it takes no time at all for things to get better and radically change.

Before I stopped drinking, I was a mess. I had no ambitions or goals and thought I was going to be depressed and anxious forever. I saw absolutely no way out of the horrible life I'd made for myself and was almost resigned to the fact that I would never be anything, would never have the hope or willpower to do something for me.

Shortly after I gave up drinking - about a month - I decided that I was going to apply to college to train as a hairdresser (something I'd wanted to do since leaving school but never had the confidence) and also that I was going to lose all the weight I'd piled on through years of drinking and not looking after myself.

Yesterday I found out that I've lost 15 lbs in 6 weeks and that I've been accepted on the course! I have no fear over whether I'm going to be OK on it, whether I'm going to miss days because of alcohol, whether I'm going to be too exhausted to do it or that I'll embarrass myself because of drinking.

It's like passion and willpower and determination have found their way back into my life and I am SO happy! I can see a future for myself, which I never could before. I can see that I CAN DO THINGS! I am not a failure, I'm not someone who messes things up, I'm someone who can take an opportunity and make something of it, so long as I don't drink.

My doctor and I have also agreed that I will begin coming off the anti-depressants I've been taking for almost 5 years.

All of this in (almost) 3 months! I can't believe it! I can't believe that in such a short period of time so much change can take place in someone's life/mind, just because they've stopped drinking!

To everyone out there who is just starting out on this journey, and to those who are struggling in the first few weeks - you can't comprehend yet how much difference you will make to your life. I had no idea, in the beginning, that all of my mental problems and my lack of ambition was to do with my drinking, all I thought was that I HAD to stop, for health reasons and because I had made terrible mistakes. I didn't want to lose my husband or my friends. I didn't think, at all, that being sober would take me back to the person I was before I started drinking - the person who wanted to see the world, experience it, ENJOY it!

SR has helped me so much! I have only been here such a short period of time, but when I found this site I was still feeling very anxious about my decision to quit, and I did feel very alone in being sober, but now I've found you guys I feel more determined than ever to make this work, forever. Thanks so much everyone - you have no idea how much you've helped me!

Keep going, guys. You can really achieve whatever you want to achieve. Being sober is just the beginning.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thats good news I wish I could say the same for me I think I actually feel more depressed not drinking which is strange.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yea that's great!
Old 06-28-2012, 03:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What a great post! WOW! Good going!
Old 06-28-2012, 03:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great inspiring post MrsKing! Makes me want to look forward to what my future may have in store for me
Old 06-28-2012, 03:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rossy View Post
Thats good news I wish I could say the same for me I think I actually feel more depressed not drinking which is strange.
Oh no I'm sorry to hear that. You've been sober for a year, haven't you? (amazing!) Have you seen the doctor?
Old 06-28-2012, 03:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yip but I think I have had some sort of depression for years,Bi polar most probably because my moods are very up and down very high one minute and very down then next which seems to last for days. Not be to the doctors because its a waste of time to be honest.
I went through a spell a few months ago of taking a lot of painkillers for my leg,I was taking them like sweets but at the time I could not care less.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rossy View Post
Yip but I think I have had some sort of depression for years,Bi polar most probably because my moods are very up and down very high one minute and very down then next which seems to last for days. Not be to the doctors because its a waste of time to be honest.
I went through a spell a few months ago of taking a lot of painkillers for my leg,I was taking them like sweets but at the time I could not care less.
Maybe it would be a good idea to tell the doctor about your moods? I know a lot of people don't like medication that alters the mind but even if you take them for short periods of time they can just take you out of that 'slump' and give you a bit more energy.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice but I'd simply refuse any medication.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

kick up the bum Rossy?

Just seen it's your 'birthday' tomorrow, great going!
Old 06-28-2012, 03:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

lol
Old 06-28-2012, 03:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Mrs. King! you have done so much...thank you for sharing, because you are an inspiration to others. i'm truly happy for you!

(and perhaps a new 'do)?
Old 06-28-2012, 04:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
Mrs. King! you have done so much...thank you for sharing, because you are an inspiration to others. i'm truly happy for you!

(and perhaps a new 'do)?
Thanks Fandy, that means a lot! Perhaps a new 'do will be my treat for 3 months!
Old 06-28-2012, 04:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Cool, congratulations!
Old 06-28-2012, 04:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

nothing says happiness like highlights and a smart cut! lol, enjoy the success Mrs. King, it's a beautiful thing and a good perk of sobriety.

(just like a good night's sleep)
Old 06-28-2012, 04:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

That is awesome! I am in school too and it is hard but it feels great.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Mrs King
Great to read your post, yes life is more doable sober.

love
CaiHong

Hi Rossy,
Hang in there. depression is not an easy one by all accounts.

love
caiHong
Old 06-28-2012, 05:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 3 months Mrsking! And thanks for the post, it's wonderful to be sober, isn't it?
Old 06-28-2012, 05:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

So wonderful!
Old 06-28-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Goodonya, MrsKing. That is so full of inspiration, describing how you moved from the fear and uncertainty of facing a sober life, to making that choice for yourself, your Big Plan, and realizing that an alcohol free life is no deprivation for you. Could anything ever make you go back to that misery? Un-possible!

I love your outlook on your new life, full of hope and possibilities, finally free. Being sober truly is just the beginning. Wonderful. Congratulations.