Notices
View Poll Results: So, how do you feel you look since sobriety?
Do you feel you look younger since sobriety?
58.82%
Do you feel you look older since sobriety?
5.88%
I feel I look about the same (so far anyway)
15.69%
Who cares! Sobriety meant more to me than vanity!
19.61%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Physical Changes with my body... For better or worse?

Old 06-26-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Physical Changes with my body... For better or worse?

Since I quit. (44) days sober now, I think. I've obviously had some differences in my mental state, but I would like to touch on some things that regard physical differences I have noticed. All which aren't good.

1. My hair is still falling out. It was worse though. I'd clog up the shower on a weekly basis. It's not dull or anything, just long and a LOT of it. I think the falling out will get back to normal over some more time.

2. I feel like I look older. I noticed some wrinkles around my eyes that seem more prominent now. Although my face isn't as puffy, why do I feel as though I have aged?

3. I've lost weight, but my stomach is still bloated. Not as bad, and it gets worse at night. Perhaps all the liquids I drink every day (a lot of coffee in the AM, and Crystal light Peach and Green Tea, Raspberry Green Tea, and water all day, etc)

4. ACNE and large pores. Although, that was a problem before I was hoping Alcohol was causing it due to toxins. I've been using Cetaphil cleanser and daily moisturizer, also a night cream. I use Tretinoin cream every other night or so.

5. Just feel like I look older. You know those glasses that can be put on when your drinking at a bar (those really rose colored ones?) and the guy you wouldn't look twice at or talk to anywhere else, other than a serious buzz sort of the same as looking at myself then?

6. Craving sugar occasionally. Did not care for sugar while I was on the booze.

I may sound like a hypocrite, but here are some good things. A lot of them have to do with the bad, yet are good results. Soooo confused.

1. Loss of weight.

2. Less puffy face.

3. Less Puffy stomach (Lower stomach area)

4. Actually do feel better about myself and am wearing what I call "girl clothes" again and fixing myself up. I was wearing my boyfriends big shirts all day. That was my wardrobe. I dared to bother with my closet.

5. Feel more confident, much less anxiety. I was literally SCARED to drive when I was drinking (not driving while drinking) when sober I was always shaky and anxious. Driving petrified me, amongst other things.

6. Exercise is helping me feel better. I have been keeping up with it.

7. I've been sitting in the sun outside to get some color and feel healthier.

But any thoughts on why I feel like I look so old? And will my skin start to clear up? Any gals on here have a great skin regime they love that seems to help... Good eye creams, cleansers, etc?

For some reason I just feel like I look older than 37. I should have taken a photo the day before I quit. That just wasn't a priority at the time.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would answer the poll, but what is missing is "Do you look better?" (not just younger). I don't think I look any younger, but when I look in the mirror I can catch a glimpse of a more handsome guy than when I had red puking-broken blood vessels under my eyes (petechiae), rashes, bloated look, chapped, split lips (from the constant booze passing them). Seems everyone I know says I look great, e.g., "Have you lost weight?" "You look good." Someone in a meeting said I was smiling and had color in my face. (the week before I was sweaty and pale)

Best to you!
Old 06-26-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think in early sobriety, I just noticed my appearance more. I don't think I looked older, I think I just became aware of how I looked. Tretonoin creme is good everyday. My friend uses it. My face became unpuffy and eyes and no longer have any red veins on my face. I think with more time sober, you will see more improvements too. I had the swollen stomach and high-fiber is what fixed me up. If it is painful, you may want to see the dr. I think you will continue to see improvements. Good job! Keep going!
Old 06-26-2012, 02:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel much better but I am suffering with physical pains which the drink did not really affect.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well, thankfully I didn't have any problems with red veins on my face.

I'm surprised, as I had elevated BP, and I did drink a lot. (if those are caused by high BP)

I was a beer drinker... I was smart enough to give up the Vodka years back with too many mistakes occurring and stuck with beer after that.

I do feel physically better. Emotionally depressed, and I guess since I feel that way, I won't feel like I look all that great. My self-confidence is better but not 100% and I feel myself looking at myself a lot. I think waiting on some miracle reversal from what I did to my body all of those years...

....and I should have included that other poll question! That would have been more fair.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, I would edit the poll, but I cant edit a post after it's submitted darnit!
Old 06-26-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Time flies.. and waits for nobody.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I look younger - I am running about 20 lbs lighter. Bodyfat is down to about 15% from 23% or so. I don't get those puffy eyes and face that I used to get from drinking.

And if I don't look younger, I certainly feel younger...ran my first marathon last year 4 months after quitting drinking and just signed up to run another one this October.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Tippingpoint,

Your BMI went from 23% to 15%? Wow!!!! I am working on running a 5K now. I'm training myself to run via the walk/jog routine. I hope to run a 5K in a few months and move on from there.

How often do you run? and how fast/far do you go?
Old 06-26-2012, 04:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm pretty sure I look better, and I've definitely lost some weight, but more than anything I just don't hate the person in the mirror anymore! I am so less critical of myself now because I don't feel guilty all the time. And I feel tons better!

Saying that though, I think we all expect too much from giving up alcohol. Before I quit I remember looking at someone who I knew hadn't drank in months and thinking 'Well, they don't look any better after not drinking so maybe I just won't bother'. Obviously a stereotypical AV moment, but I think really that I thought quitting drinking would solve all my weight/wrinkle/money/everything else problems. I have the odd thought like 'If I was drinking I wouldn't need all this chocolate' too. I realise this is all crazy talk now, which is nice But it's quite possible that some of them kept me drinking for a bit, which is rather worrying...
Old 06-26-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I look and feel better, but unlike all these lucky people above i have gained weight lol.

But just have to work out harder, due to getting healthy i finally saw a doctor which i had not done for 20 years. And my BP and chlorestorol were thru the roof. And the meds i got for it add some pounds. But i will take the pounds over the poison.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

:ghug3No I did not have high blood pressure. I'm just fairskinned. The veins were just from swelling. They are all gone now. My skin is lovely.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Lost 10 lbs. Am running. My eyes aren't all bloodshot and I don't look like I am tired and miserable.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Drinking or not I am 32 and people think I am 20 but I have lost weight, I feel better, more confidant and take more pride in my appearance.