Notices

Quick Question from 26/f

Old 06-27-2012, 06:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quick Question from 26/f

Quick question to those who have been in alcohol recover. Does the tiredness, tremors and cloudy headedness ever really go away. I miss my energy and the ability to make clear thoughts. I worry people at work are seeing my shakes but I know this is the best for me. How long will this misery go on? Thanks for listening.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

yes, it gets better - I think few of us would stay in recovery if it didn't ChasingJme03
How long have you been sober?

D
Old 06-27-2012, 06:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

3 days now... I know its not long but it feels like ETERNITY!
Old 06-27-2012, 06:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

3 days Chasing? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I like your quote. Be patient, you are new. It takes awhile for the body to get used to being free from alcohol. It's different for everyone but for me it took a few weeks to get over that initial haze. Time takes time. Give it time.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on 3 days! I'm a 24 yo male on day 50. The tiredness and cloudy headedness pretty much left me at the one month mark. It progressively got better after the first week though. Some people will take shorter and some will take longer. I didn't have tremors when I quit this time. Stick with it!
Old 06-27-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

On a positive note, I ate food for the first time since detoxing.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

3 days is awesome - but think about how long you drank for - if you're like me it was years ...

things will get better - don't doubt that

D
Old 06-27-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Its true.. almost on a daily basis for at least 5 years.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Time will heal all. Your body is repairing itself and you are moving forward each and every second you are sober.

3 days is awesome! For a long time I couldn't even string 3 hours together.

Congratulations on taking the first step and keep it up!

God Bless,

William
Old 06-27-2012, 07:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Those first few days really do seem like they last forever.... I can't remember if it was day 4 or 5 when I started feeling better. I just remember smiling to myself.....it felt so good waking up without a hangover and a sense of dread.

It took me about 3-4 months to totally get my energy back. I think it just depends on how much damage we've done. The good news is that, cccording to the experts, healing is still taking place 1 to 2 years into sobriety.

Congratulations on 3 days and welcome to the forum!
Old 06-27-2012, 08:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I started feeling physically better around day 5. My head was clearing a little by day 9 or so but loud noises or sudden movements still startled me something fierce. It took a couple of weeks before my energy really started to recover and i felt "normal." After that it's been gradually getting better and better. It took about a month before i really started sleeping normally and really felt like my head was on straight. The longer i'm sober, the better i feel. The first week is the roughest but once you power through that it gets a TON better! Stay the course.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes, right now I am dealing with pretty extreme restlessness. I think sleep will be hard tonight.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

The old wive's tale about warm milk has some truth to it from what i've heard. This won't help tonight but if you can tomorrow, look in a health food or vitamin store for valarian root. It's a herb that helps with sleep. Celestial Seasonings makes a tea called Sleepytime Extra that has valarian in it but it's hard to come by. Regular Sleepytime doesn't have valarian.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChasingJme03 View Post
3 days now... I know its not long but it feels like ETERNITY!
30 years would be a long time, but 3 days is an eternity.
this,too, shall pass and you'll get better
Old 06-27-2012, 09:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have been using a pill that combines valerian root and melatonin and its helped a bit as far as giving me one to two hours. The waking up in the middle of the night has been a problem. Thanks for the tip though, without the pill I probably wouldnt sleep at all.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your 3 days! I have only been sober for 17 days, but I can tell you that it is easier today than it was the first few days. That is for sure.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yea! Good job! Keep going. It definitely gets better!
Old 06-28-2012, 04:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I was the same way for the first 3 days... day 4 better, day 5 even better..day 6-8 much better...9..great.. im on day 10...fantastic!!!!. In truth the first 3 days of my sobriety I was taking a small dose of xanax to ease my detox (was previously prescribed for severe anxiety disorder). Have you thought about going to see your Doctor? Perhaps they can help you with your sleeping issue? I too have noticed that although im sleeping MUCH better..im only getting anywhere from 4-7 hours per night...but i will wake up in between...(broken sleep).. but..the "quality" of those hours is actual sleep..where my body and mind are at a true rest....there is a HUGE difference between real sleep vs. passing out... when you pass out from being drunk..your body really didnt rest or sleep..it just stayed passed out long enough and I think what we dont realize is...when that happens..at whatever point we awaken..its not because we have been well rested, its because we simply sobered up! I commend you on 3 days dear!!!! Its rough...but I'll say here what i've said in other posts... all the people here have been immensely supportive and have told me...."if you feel this good after (x) amount of days..just WAIT till you hit the 2 week mark, the 1 month mark...etc.... keep faith in yourself...love FOR yourself in your heart...and realize that YOU...are worth it!!! you CAN and WILL do this!!! :ghug3
Old 06-28-2012, 04:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yes your in the early stage but trust me you will feel better in time.