Notices

Moving Beyond "I deserve a drink"

Old 06-22-2012, 01:31 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

What a great post and shares. Thank you effortjoy for asking and all the contributions.

I deserve to feel great and be healthy.

It was a turning point for me when I got MAD at my AV and told it to f off and NEVER COME BACK. That it was a liar who took advantage of me and used me to get booze. I'm a peaceful person who has trouble with anger, so it was amazing when I stood up for myself.

In addition to all the great ideas, I sometimes visualize myself surrounded by Angels who guard and protect me with swords. (Crazy but it helps me, might help someone else.)
Old 06-22-2012, 01:33 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Swords are cool, I like that. Don't no AV mess with no swords.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Another good quote is "First thought WRONG."

In early recovery our brains are just beginning to heal and form new pathways of thinking. Rational thinking doesn't come naturally for me. Addictive thinking does, and it's almost always the first thing to pop into my mind.

It took the many years of drug use for my brain to think that way. I shouldn't get down on myself when it's not completely healed after 6 months.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Wow everyone! Greed thread as weekends are hardest for me too, 6 sober weekends now! It gets SO much easier in such a short time really EJ. All the best
Old 06-22-2012, 01:49 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Takes awhile to get used to being sober on the weekends for most everyone. If you were concerned enough to quit and seek support from others in doing so, you already know that picking up a drink leads to a place you don't want to go. But we are creatures of habit, and you get a certain inertia after drinking habitually for a long time, that doesn't go away right away. They say it takes about a month to develop a habit, I suppose it probably takes about a month for a habit to start fading away.

When I had just quit, I drank a lot of water, and I took melatonin early and went to bed early. Your body can use the rest at this point, and you can't do much geeking for alcohol if you're asleep.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Whenever that little voice starts chatting to me, I remind myself why I have made the choice not to drink, afterall no-one is forcing me not to drink.. I have made the personal descion not to do so, I have taken control of my life. I read my diary which started from the day I decided to stop drinking, it reminds me of all the horrible self-hating, humiliating feelings that came with drinking and hangovers.

Remember.. this is your choice, you have defo made the right decision.. and weekends are so much better without a hangover!!

(if all else fails.. make a cuppa, eat cake and play on the arcade section of the site, I can recommend Big Money ... LOL) Well done on 7 days, stay strong x
Old 06-22-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

one more thing. last fall, while I was still really debating all of this, I did a trial weeked with no alcohol and I filled it with friends (many of whom drink). I walked through a weekend sober and realized on sunday it was one of the best weekends I had had in quite some time. unfortunately, back in the fall, It wasn't enough to keep it going. but at least try. every trial, every lesson, every little minor thing we do to keep our heads above the water will eventually teach us to swim. I am now on the doggy paddle lane, but head is above water, and there are more lessons to come. If you did not have a sober night, then please, love yourself on saturday, and stay focused on the positive. I am convinced that the circle of negativity we create around our addiction only supports it. it might seem weird, but smile in the morning, and say you are worth it. then try to believe it and feel it. because we are all worth it. happy friday everyone. alone with tea tonight and happy SR is here