Notices

Its so hard

Old 06-15-2012, 06:27 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

ya know, goin to meetings and not talking is really a good thing. that way you will be able to focus on what the ones that went before you say and not on what you are gonna say.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

"I really am crazy enough"

yer already gettin weller!
Old 06-15-2012, 06:30 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
I was the same, and AA was perfect. It was my refuge for the first year of my sobriety, even though I went to my home group sparingly after the first three months. There is nothing like a face to face fellowship of our fellows. Some prefer to not go to meetings and there are recovery methods for them too. AA and Here were my touchstones and support for my successful quitting of both smoking and drinking alcohol. I did not like the one NA meeting I went to either. I can sure help another alcoholic, but have no clue for addicts to other drugs. Heck I don't even know what most of them are when folks mention their DOC here, and I have no experience with addiction to them.

Find a nice home group and settle in. You will also be helping others when you do.

Thanks Ive also stopped smoking 2 months ago. Clean much.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.All your words and encouragement helps. I will be checking back most days to get that little bit of hope. Nothing but Love to you all. I think youre all amazing to do what you have done x
Old 06-15-2012, 07:55 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
~sb

Listen to some speakers on xa-speakers.org the stories are quite inspiring!

Glad you are here!
Old 06-15-2012, 08:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

see SMART Recovery on replacing irrational, negative beliefs with more effective ones.

SMART ABC Tutorial
Old 06-15-2012, 10:12 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

Two things, admit you have a problem, realize you can not solve it on your own.
Next, go to AA and USE IT to get YOUR TOOLS; take what you need, leave the rest; the only thing everyone in AA needs is the fellowship so you can recover; you can NOT do it alone. Everything else in AA is "use what YOU need. "And We Are Nice People as Well".

And So It Is.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:42 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I went to an AA meeting tonight and it was great. Lovely bunch of people,I felt like I fit in. And they all told me to keep going back. Good to feel welcome and wanted!
I even "shared" and it wasnt awkward.. think I'll be doing that again.
Breath,"My brain is trying to kill me" love it. Thats how I feel. All the new thoughts and feelings are overwhelming.
Im definately alot happier after talking with you guys and the ones at AA.

Cheers x
Old 06-16-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

cool beans!! ya know, they prolly arent new thoughts and feelings. they were jus smothered by alcohol.
it works if ya work it so work it yer worth it!!

we may not have it all together,but together we have it all.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:16 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberAddict View Post
Thanks guys. I went to an AA meeting tonight and it was great. Lovely bunch of people,I felt like I fit in. And they all told me to keep going back. Good to feel welcome and wanted!
I even "shared" and it wasnt awkward.. think I'll be doing that again.
Breath,"My brain is trying to kill me" love it. Thats how I feel. All the new thoughts and feelings are overwhelming.
Im definately alot happier after talking with you guys and the ones at AA.

Cheers x

How cool is that...You're avatar even looks happier!
Old 06-16-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Another thought: there is probably a "speaker" AA meeting where one person speaks to the group, and no "sharing" is done. We have one here in my small town. I go to hear the stories and to have a few face to face private moments (not in front of the whole group) to tell someone how I'm doing. Some people even sort of sneak in the back and sneak out at the end, which is cool, 'cuz presumably they'd rather not interact but just want to listen.

best wishes to you
Old 06-16-2012, 10:40 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
SR Fan

You've probably described most all of us, SoberAddict! Getting sober helped me realize I didn't know how to be patient or positive (ESPECIALLY when it comes to myself).

Ironically, I've been learning that the best way to change something is first to embrace it. I can't learn patience if I'm being impatient with my impatience, you know?!! We have to accept and love ourselves right where we are first, instead of resisting our feelings and thoughts. It's the resistance and wanting things/ourselves to be different that makes us unhappy and want to run away.

Acceptance is the key! Hugs going out to you......:ghug3
Old 06-16-2012, 10:09 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
How cool is that...You're avatar even looks happier!
Thanks Sapling. Im going to another meeting tonight too. Onwards and upwards.
Dont want to sit around feeling sorry for myself anymore,doesnt do anyone any good.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:10 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
You've probably described most all of us, SoberAddict! Getting sober helped me realize I didn't know how to be patient or positive (ESPECIALLY when it comes to myself).

Ironically, I've been learning that the best way to change something is first to embrace it. I can't learn patience if I'm being impatient with my impatience, you know?!! We have to accept and love ourselves right where we are first, instead of resisting our feelings and thoughts. It's the resistance and wanting things/ourselves to be different that makes us unhappy and want to run away.

Acceptance is the key! Hugs going out to you......:ghug3
Accept the things I cannot change...yip...acceptance is huge,and hard.
Massive hugs back at ya
Old 06-16-2012, 11:55 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
instant

The daily practice of gratitude has helped me enormously. (see thread section). Takes about a month for the effect to "kick in"
Old 06-16-2012, 11:58 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome SoberAddict

some really good suggestions here...for me it really helped to be around positive support...so I hung out here a lot

Good to have you join us too

D
Old 06-17-2012, 12:57 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Oooooo Resentful today. Towards my partner. For not listening to me 2 days ago when I voiced calmly what was bothering me ( Usually if Im annoyed at him Ill rant then not discuss it). I told him how I felt about his out of friend town coming into our home and drinking and smoking (we're both 8.5 months sober my partner and I, and I havnt had a ciggie in 8-9 weeks) He started off saying he understood how that would frustrate me however (theres always a however and a justification with him) he encourages his friend to treat this like his own home and he would do the same in his friends house even if his friend wasnt a drinker or smoker anymore. Ive only lived in my partners house with him since December and already struggle with making it feel like my home as his previous partner lived here with him for 10 years.

I know my moodiness and resentment towards him is going to kill us but dont know how to shake it when I feel so greatly let down,like my opinion doesnt count.

Off to work I go. **sigh**