Notices

About me

Old 06-11-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

About me

Not sure where to start with this...

I'm male, 27 and don't know if I definitely consider myself an alcoholic as to me that's someone who can down a bottle of spirits every day. Definitely a binge drinker though, at weekends I can easily drink to oblivion.

It's caused problems before, disgraced myself at a party last year and took a couple months off drinking. Seems to be getting worse as I tend to black out now, thus weekend my luck ran out, badly grazed face and chipped 2 teeth where I must have face planted on the way home. Last thing I remember I was in the Pub then I woke up at home in pain.

It was a stupid argument with the wife that made me go to the Pub, a argument that wouldn't have happened if I wasn't drinking to begin with. It's scared me how much worse it could have been,I have no idea what I did and just hope I didn't do anything that's going to come back on me. Now I have to pay out for whatever the dentist charges and be worried for the next couple of weeks.

My parents drank a lot when I was young, seeing the problems it caused I'm not sure why I'm like this. I suppose its not considered a big deal and all the youth do it but I'm getting older and don't want to damage myself or my marriage any further.

Sorry for the rambling style, guess my thoughts on it all are still confused
Old 06-11-2012, 10:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

hello. I just posted my "here I am" story a few minutes ago. I'm the same way. Didn't think my drinking was a problem until recentlyl. Sounds like you are in the right place here to be looking for direction.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to both of you...Whatever you want to call it...If drinking is causing you problems...It's a good idea to fix it...This is a great site to get started on that...Welcome to SR!
Old 06-11-2012, 10:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

I drank like you. I am a 36yo wife and mother. I binge drank 1-2 times a week and did awful embarassing stuff that made me want to crawl into a hole a die the next day.

Drunken antics get way less cute the older you get...it just becomes sad and pitiful.

I am 40 days sober and in AA. In the last 40 days I haven't ever had to check my cell phone to check what I did the previous night or had any mysterious bruises or cuts. That parts been kind of nice.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1lifeleft View Post
Not sure where to start with this...

I'm male, 27 and don't know if I definitely consider myself an alcoholic as to me that's someone who can down a bottle of spirits every day. Definitely a binge drinker though, at weekends I can easily drink to oblivion.
"Alcoholism doesn't come in bottles, it comes in people" - means doesn't matter how much you drink, but rather why you drink.

It's caused problems before, disgraced myself at a party last year and took a couple months off drinking. Seems to be getting worse as I tend to black out now, thus weekend my luck ran out, badly grazed face and chipped 2 teeth where I must have face planted on the way home. Last thing I remember I was in the Pub then I woke up at home in pain.

It was a stupid argument with the wife that made me go to the Pub, a argument that wouldn't have happened if I wasn't drinking to begin with. It's scared me how much worse it could have been,I have no idea what I did and just hope I didn't do anything that's going to come back on me. Now I have to pay out for whatever the dentist charges and be worried for the next couple of weeks.
Chicken and egg theory - the problems cause drinking and the drinking causes problems. That being said: remove the drinking and either the problems go away, or it allows us a clear head to work on solving the problems

My parents drank a lot when I was young, seeing the problems it caused I'm not sure why I'm like this. I suppose its not considered a big deal and all the youth do it but I'm getting older and don't want to damage myself or my marriage any further.

Sorry for the rambling style, guess my thoughts on it all are still confused
No one has been able to prove whether alcoholism is a hereditary disease or not, but it is a disease. The world medical associations defined it as such sometime back in the 50's. One like diabetes, that you can take regular shots to keep healthy. Personally my regular shots are AA. I stop going I get sick, I get sick, my problems start escalating, my problems start escalating, I drink some more to hide ... and so on.

I quit when I was 25. AA wasn't a magic pill. It didn't solve all my problems, but it did help me get and stay sober as well as giving me tools to work on all the problems that come up. I love my life.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was younger once and now I'm not but I can tell you alcoholism doesn't get better with age, it only gets worse and so do the problems. The sooner you stop the quicker it gets better. Best to you.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for replies. Guess my main problem has always been a lack of moderation like once I pop I really can't stop until I run out of beer, money or consciousness. Some people can have a couple of drinks and say that's enough, I envy that
Old 06-11-2012, 10:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Thanks for replies. Guess my main problem has always been a lack of moderation like once I pop I really can't stop until I run out of beer, money or consciousness. Some people can have a couple of drinks and say that's enough, I envy that
That's alcoholism. If we could stop at one we would.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Some people can have a couple of drinks and say that's enough, I envy that
I dont envy it...Because I can't do it...Simple as that.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I guess I have to accept that its not for me and try focus on the benefits
Old 06-11-2012, 11:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aeo1313 View Post
I drank like you. I am a 36yo wife and mother. I binge drank 1-2 times a week and did awful embarassing stuff that made me want to crawl into a hole a die the next day.

Drunken antics get way less cute the older you get...it just becomes sad and pitiful.

I haven't ever had to check my cell phone to check what I did the previous night or had any mysterious bruises or cuts.
This is me almost to a tee! I'm 38 with to wee ones at home. I'm not doing AA though, I am starting with a counselor. 7 days sober here.