Notices

Blackouts

Old 06-08-2012, 08:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Blackouts

Ok- this may sound really stupid...

At a meeting today a guy was saying how normal drinkers don't have blackouts. I was shocked. I talked to him after and he said they may have one or two VERY rarely, but not regularily. I drank 1-2 times a week and drank 75% till blackout. I didn't think that was uncommon.

I am a pretty smart person but for some reason this went right by me as normal.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

as far as I know anyone can have a blackout?

ALCOHOL'S DAMAGING EFFECTS ON THE BRAIN

D
Old 06-08-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Interesting site-

maybe what the guy in the mtg was saying that most people don't continue to drink until they blackout? I don't know. I guess it doesn't matter anymore bc I don't drink
Old 06-08-2012, 08:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

may have seemd normal because you drank with people that drank like you did.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Aeo, I'm with you. The majority of people do not drink until they black out. The last few months I was drinking I blacked out almost every night. For some reason at the time it didn't strike me as something I needed worry about. Yikes.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My last couple of months drinking involved black outs most days too. So not cool looking back on it . Today I am 8 months sober and it is the hardest thing I have ever done. Still struggle on a daily basis. Suppose it will get easier one day.
Life is so different with out it. Cant hide from problems,cant mask unhappiness,cant fake being confident.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

I rarely blacked out. If I did, I don't remember it. LOL

Normal drinkers usually don't blackout on 1-2 drinks. Then they feel those 2 the next day.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I was a substance counselor, finding out someone blacks out was a huge warning sign for addiction. Especially if the amount they black out keeps increasing, and they don't continue to stop. With that said, it is not the sole reason to think someone might have a problem.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aeo1313 View Post
Ok- this may sound really stupid...

At a meeting today a guy was saying how normal drinkers don't have blackouts. I was shocked. I talked to him after and he said they may have one or two VERY rarely, but not regularily. I drank 1-2 times a week and drank 75% till blackout. I didn't think that was uncommon.

I am a pretty smart person but for some reason this went right by me as normal.
Normal drinkers don't drink to get drunk like we do.

That is our disease, we do not comprehend the idea of "A Drink".....

I do not naturally comprehend the idea of NORMAL or SANE, I have to be taught.
My SANE is the rest of the world's INSANITY ........

I hear oldtimers with 20-30-40 years in AA talking about the "awakenings" they have as the years go by. That's why I attend the meetings regularly now, not for the first half of Step 1 but for the second half of Step 1.... and the other 11 Steps

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-09-2012, 05:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
LDT

I should have paid attention in the beginning, because even at the very start of my drinking, consuming comparatively small amounts, I had blackouts. I now realize alcohol was never my friend.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I won't say "normal", but I do not think it is "typical" for anyone to black out. I drank for 25 years, at times ridiculously heavily, and I only blacked out about 3 times and that was when I was in college (now 19 years ago). I certainly drank enough to black out, but did not all those thousands of other times. When I was a child I had a friend whose father was an alcoholic, and he would black out after just a couple (literally) of drinks. It was really scary. One time he woke up in a strange town 50 miles away. My black outs in college usually involved waking up in bed at home and not knowing how I got there or drove (yikes) home. I never blacked out and "stayed awake" at parties or anything like that where I was functioning and people told me about it later.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Originally Posted by Leemzer View Post
I won't say "normal", but I do not think it is "typical" for anyone to black out. I drank for 25 years, at times ridiculously heavily, and I only blacked out about 3 times and that was when I was in college (now 19 years ago). I certainly drank enough to black out, but did not all those thousands of other times. When I was a child I had a friend whose father was an alcoholic, and he would black out after just a couple (literally) of drinks. It was really scary. One time he woke up in a strange town 50 miles away. My black outs in college usually involved waking up in bed at home and not knowing how I got there or drove (yikes) home. I never blacked out and "stayed awake" at parties or anything like that where I was functioning and people told me about it later.
I did and it's scary. My friends would tell me entire conversations I would have and I would have no memory of it.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I would agree with Leemzer about normal drinker don't blackout. Typical drinker general don't blackout.

The only time that I truly blackout was when I didn't drink for a week. I got out of bed and went to the store to buy alcohol and steak and went home and went to sleep. I don't know if that was blacking out or just sleep walk.

I thought it was funny at the time. Funny how the mind works.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I didn't black out in the early days of my drinking, but during my last year, I blacked out pretty much every time I drank, which was every day. I never saw it coming either. I'd drink all day, feel sluggish and numb, but I'd still be "there," at least for awhile. As the day wore on, some line would get crossed and then I'd have no memory of what happened the rest of the day ... I'd just wake up at some point and say, "How did I get here? What did I do/say?" Scary stuff. I'm so grateful that isn't me anymore.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I almost feel like I have given up drinking twice because I had to give up spirits many years ago because of blackouts. If I started off drinking vodka I would remember maybe the first few hours but that was it. I remember waking up at home one day after being at a festival and remembering nothing of the previous day bar the first hour or so and having to phone friends to find out what happened. Lets just say I managed to accomplish alot in that time which I forgot! It probably only happened a few times but it was really scary. For 10 years after that I just stuck to beer and had the normal amount of memory loss after a night drinking. Maybe peoples version of 'blackout' varies. Practically every person I know has at some point complained of not remembering how they got home last night, but that probably isn't the same as loosing a whole evening. Now I'm sober I still have mornings when I can't remember what I did last night, at least for a while anyhoo
Old 06-09-2012, 01:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Undrunk since Jan28 2012

Right before I quit drinking, I was watching family feud, and one of the questions was "How many drinks before you know you'll have a hangover the next day?"

Me and my buddy, both hammered, were guessing in quart and case type measurements, and we were literally shocked to see that all the answers were under 5 individual drinks. It truly is shocking how skewed ones views can be toward alcohol when your "normal" night consists of a 30 pack of 5.5% beer, and possibly a beer run after that if the party is still going...

Blackouts weren't very common for me, so I thought people who HAD blackouts were alcoholics, but looking back now, and having talked to a psychologist about it, I realize that was plain stupid.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Blackouts scared me.
Made me realise l had crossed a line l thought only very sick people crossed.
But nowadays teenagers don't think they had fun if they can remember anything..
Sad..
Old 06-09-2012, 11:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I've actually NEVER blacked out. It kind of makes me feel sometimes like I'm not an alcoholic. But, I know I drank heavily enough at times where others would black out, but I wouldn't.

About the family fued thing. I was watching a game show yesterday in which the contestants needed to determine if something is was normal or abnormal based on 1000 people polled. The item was, "drank an entire bottle of wine by yourself". I truly thought that was normal!!! The response was only 34% of 1000 people said they had done that. And that 34% were probably alcoholics!!!
Old 06-10-2012, 03:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 12skiptomylue View Post
I've actually NEVER blacked out. It kind of makes me feel sometimes like I'm not an alcoholic.
Don't even go there skip!
Old 06-10-2012, 10:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Originally Posted by 12skiptomylue View Post
I've actually NEVER blacked out. It kind of makes me feel sometimes like I'm not an alcoholic. But, I know I drank heavily enough at times where others would black out, but I wouldn't.

About the family fued thing. I was watching a game show yesterday in which the contestants needed to determine if something is was normal or abnormal based on 1000 people polled. The item was, "drank an entire bottle of wine by yourself". I truly thought that was normal!!! The response was only 34% of 1000 people said they had done that. And that 34% were probably alcoholics!!!
Only 34%? Gosh...wonder what the % would be for a 750ml bottle of vodka then?