Notices

Scared out of my wits

Old 06-08-2012, 01:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared out of my wits

Hi everyone, I will be seven weeks sober on monday, but I spend most of my days in a state of constant fear. I cannot concentrate for more than five minutes. People talk to me and all I hear is like muffled voices. I can't find the words too respond and then I go into a blind panic, I'm then sure that they can see I'm a freak and I just want to run away.
Is this normal?
My thoughts rush round my head, and I cannot see a future. I know deep down that things will work out, but at times everything is so cloudy, I feel like I've been picked up, turned 180% and told to walk in a straight line
I've drunk over half of my life (I'm 31 now) been drinking since I was 12, and I know I will suffer some stuff as a result, but does it get any better?
Anyway, thanks
Old 06-08-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have you talked to a doctor about this? That might be a good starting point. Sorry you're going through this.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh, and welcome!

Old 06-08-2012, 01:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

After 7 weeks? This may have nothing to do with alcohol withdrawals...see a psychiatrist. You may have been masking anxiety issues with your drinking.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I spent the second and third months of my sobriety in a fairly severe fog too Bazerington. It was worse than the first month in a way. But it does sound like you may have some social anxiety problems too...it's only natural though. I'm nearly 31 and have been drinking since I was 12 too. I had no idea what to do with myself sober! It's all about finding your sober feet I reckon. If you are concerned a trip to the doctors can't hurt. Oh and it will get better x
Old 06-08-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well I've been on the psych side of treatment a couple of times. 47 years of drinking didn't fine tune my brain and the therapy was sometimes Micky Mouse but I met some wonderful fellow patients. Maybe at least talk with your DR. I did, I had nothing to lose but my mind. Take care.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Bazerington

Whatever it is, that doesn't sound like much fun - I hope you'll consult a Dr - at least then you'll know whats going on...they should be able to help too

D
Old 06-08-2012, 03:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Zee

Hi there
Sounds a bit like what I get. I think its part of the 'anxiety' traits. Its called 'derealisation' like a feling that you are 'not there' or you are watching a movie, then you get like a low buzzing noise and a feeling that you are going to loose the plot or pass out! Soooo hard to explain it, but it scares the living cra* out of you when it happens. It was way worse when I was actively drinking and has subsided a bit now. It makes you scared to go out. I have no answers but know that you are not the only one! x
Old 06-08-2012, 04:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that you talk to your dr too.

Hopefully you can find a solution to your problems.