Notices

Tired of not hitting rock bottom

Old 06-06-2012, 08:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Tired of not hitting rock bottom

Ive been drinkin like a normie the past few weeks.

No real regrets or consequences but I want to quit for good.

I know Im rollin the dice every time I drink alcohol.

Just tired of wasting the time and money plus worrying about health.

I started smoking again too. I gotta quit.

Do I have to wait for tragedy to keep on with my decision?

Who stopped with no rock bottom? How did you do it?
Old 06-06-2012, 08:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

A bottom isn't an event, it is a state of mind. No, you do not have to wait for tragedy to strike before you decide to do something about a problem. Why would you? If you know drinking is causing you problems, then quit now. Make a plan and stick to it.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I agree with suki. My "bottom" was waking up in the mornings dreading finding out what I did/said the night before, shaking so badly I needed a couple of shots before I even got out of bed, and not being able to fully participate in my life and those of my family. It was also my fear of a "low bottom" ... losing my husband, children, health, home, and eventually my life. I didn't lose any of those things, but I would have if I had continued. It was inevitable.

If you know it's a problem, quit today. Because all of those things that haven't happened YET, WILL. Maybe not tomorrow or next week or next month ... but they will.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Fallow View Post
You continue to drink despite many, many attempts to stop. Your relapses cause you grief.

I think that is tragic enough.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Your bottom is when you are sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Here's a guaruntee I've shared elsewhere on SR - If you haven't lost absolutely everything that you value in life ... keep drinking... you will

As I see it, at this point you have a choice. You can quite before you lose everything you value. Or you can wait until you've lost it all.

Here's another guaruntee. You WILL quit drinking ... trouble is, it might be when you're dead
Old 06-06-2012, 09:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Yes you are all right. Its pretty frustrating.

Wish I could just move on with my life and forget I ever touched drugs and alcohol.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

No! You can stop now because it is within your ability to do so...so now's the time.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I decided that I had to quit because I knew I was dependent and I knew I had too much to lose - and I know where this goes. I've made it 22 days (longest time in 15 years aside from pregnancy/birth of my child) by focusing on today's commitments and decisions, and I feel pretty good mentally and physically.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ive been drinkin like a normie the past few weeks.

No real regrets or consequences but I want to quit for good.

I know Im rollin the dice every time I drink alcohol.

Just tired of wasting the time and money plus worrying about health.

I started smoking again too. I gotta quit.

Who stopped with no rock bottom? How did you do it?
I think it's your bottom when you decide it's your bottom.....

A group leader really helped me out in the Recovery Home in '89. I wasn't sure I wanted to get sober (I really wanted to die) nor was I sure I could do it if I tried. He told me something that changed my life. He said:

"Pretend the recovery program was like learning to play the piano. You don't like the piano, you don't really want to learn it and your certainly aren't convinced you could ever be any good at it anyway...... If you sit at the piano bench and practice it for an hour a day, like it or not, you will learn to play it"

I treated AA like that in the beginning, I just went to a meeting every day whether I wanted to or not.

23 years later I am sober and I'm getting not too bad at the 12 Steps .

All the best to everyone.

Bob R
Old 06-06-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post

"Pretend the recovery program was like learning to play the piano. You don't like the piano, you don't really want to learn it and your certainly aren't convinced you could ever be any good at it anyway...... If you sit at the piano bench and practice it for an hour a day, like it or not, you will learn to play it"

Bob R
That is bloody awesome advice. Thanks for that 2GD
Old 06-06-2012, 11:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've been sober for a week and I made the decision without any major event to attribute it to. I had been drinking almost every day for the past couple of months with little side effects other than a hangover. The cost was a big factor, but I also took a look at my past and the conglomeration of bad things that had occurred in the past due to my failure to quit drinking. I also looked at the fact that anytime I had "tried" to quit in the past it was usually at the request or strong recommendation of someone else.

In example, I was hospitalized due to drinking about a year and a half ago. I woke up one morning with unbearable stomach pains and had to have my sister come pick me and my children up to take me to the emergency room. The doctors ran some blood tests and determined that I had Acute Pancreatitis (Which BTW can become chronic with continued abuse of alcohol.) I was in the hospital on TPN (IV drip that provides all sustenance) I was unable to eat or drink anything for the two weeks. After I was healthy enough to leave I was told by the doctors that I could never drink again. I did stop drinking for a few months but it was not my decision to stop.

When you make the choice for yourself by yourself it makes it a lot easier because you own that decision. Plus you are ahead of the game if you quit while you are ahead. This is just my opinion and the state of mind that helped me make the decision to quit but if you are thinking about it just go for it and you'll probably notice how much better you feel relatively quickly.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You can't wait for rock bottom because sometimes you die first.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

every bottom has a new bottom

rock bottom is 6 feet under with no pulse

try reading about recovery programs like Rational Recovery, SMART, AVRT, or any other available.

you can stay stopped if you want to!
Old 06-06-2012, 12:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm only on day two, but I think bottom is perspective. I received a pm last night regarding stopping while you're ahead. I may not have hit bottom, but I could see it and it doesn't look like where I want to be. Good luck!
Old 06-06-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
every bottom has a new bottom

rock bottom is 6 feet under with no pulse
That's right. There are plenty of people here who've quit and you can be one of them
Old 06-06-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

No marital/family problems..... no arrests...... no financial problems....... no career problems....... no physical health problems....... worked out regularly, but at rock bottom in that I was paralyzed with depression and anxiety following any wine intake. And I should have added a huge YET to those things I just listed.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

No real bottom for me...I have my family, job, no DUIs, health, friends, etc.

I see hitting bottom as death. How many times have we said never again this is it, this is bottom, and gone out drinking a few days later. Bottom keeps getting lower.

IMO it is harder to quit when there are no real problems/bottoms due to our drinking. My husband still thinks my drinking isn't/wasn't that bad. It's a choice only you can make.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

to me rock bottom is death. cant get lower than that.
you are worrying about your health and thats a consequence. your health will only get worse if ya keep on drinking.

you can wait for a tragedy if ya want, but that tragedy could be you killed someone while drunk.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like everyone else, I think we can call 'bottom' anytime we choose.

Sure you can be like me...and drink like everyone else and not care and not get into too much trouble, apart from the times you do...

and then keep drinking 'not going too bad', losing a bit here and there maybe...

until one day you wake up and realise you've lost everything and anything you hold of value in your life ...

I really don't recommend that Fallow - I really don't.

D
Old 06-06-2012, 02:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am just done with day 1 and my bottom is inside of me. My partner of 4 years does not know or think I have a problem but I do. It came about because I am finally able to admit that I can't drink normally anymore. And I am at a bottom because I am tired of being sick and tired and not being happy.