Notices

Think about quitting?

Old 05-29-2012, 09:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Think about quitting?

If you’re thinking about quitting, I pray you don’t follow a path anything close to mine.

I thought about quitting at least 15 years ago, but I didn’t. Intellectually, I knew that I was an alcoholic, but didn’t do anything about it until I lost my business, a job, a house, and my wife divorced me; all in the past two years, all while pouring most of my drinks from the “closet”. Somehow through the drunken haze in the past two years it all became clearer when:

*I put a “sober since” date in SR at least a dozen different times, under various names.

*I’d wear my glasses, rather than contacts. That way nobody could see my glassy, red eyes.

*My chin got a twin, right below the original.

*I accidentally drove a golf cart through a bunker, stopped, got out and raked the sand, and drove off. But I didn’t know that until somebody told me the next day. Lord have mercy…

*I always left a couple fingers of liquid gold in my fifth of tequila at the end of the day so I could feel really good about not drinking the entire bottle.

*I would rotate my alcohol purchases through multiple locations so none of the folks serving me at the counter would think I had a drinking problem.

*I avoided answering the phone when I was drunk. That way the person on the other end wouldn’t have to draw unwanted conclusions from my slurred words.

*I started drinking straight from the bottle simply because it was more convenient. And out of a paper bag so nobody could see what I was drinking, even though nobody was ever in the house to watch me.

*I’d wake up the next morning feeling a little numb, rather than sick and nearly dead after drinking a fifth of tequila.

*I fell off the roof and broke my arm and ribs, yet answered the doctor with an emphatic “No” when he asked if whether I had been drinking.

*I blamed the ugly scent oozing from my body on the food I ate that day, fully realizing that any food I ate didn’t smell anything like alcohol when it comes out of your pores. I know, TMI.

*The police pulled me over because I was swerving into the other lane. When asked if I had been drinking I grinned and blamed it on texting while driving. And when he found the empty bottle of tequila under my seat, I told him it wasn’t mine. It’s a good thing he didn’t light a match, and a miracle I didn’t kill someone.

*My 10-year old girl laughingly called me a drunk when I was tucking her in even though I was sure I had done a masterful job of hiding my relapse from her and my little boy. I walked away, closed her door, and poured the rest of my tequila down the drain with tears rolling down my cheeks.

It’s an abbreviated list, for sure. It wasn’t the first time I poured my last bottle of alcohol down the drain. And long before my body could tolerate massive amounts of alcohol, I too suffered through the horrible hangovers and other things many of you suffer through today. As time moved along the amount of alcohol needed to obtain the buzz increased, while everything else in my life wasted away. I hurt a lot of people along the way, including myself.

I knew what I was doing 15 years ago. I wish I would have listened to my rational self back then. But I didn't. But I did six days ago and quit the following day.

Maybe, just maybe one person can learn from my experience and choose a life of sobriety a little earlier in the progression than I did.

Day 5 is coming to a close. On to Day 6 with vigor.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That looks like an unmanagability list to me. Mine is scary too.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The part about your kids really struck a chord with me, since I'm a parent too. What matters is you're here, and you're becoming the kind of person you and your children will be proud of.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Hope we continue to see you here.... under the same name! I would recommend you do it different this time. AA perhaps? Best wishes, to you and your kids.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

thanks for the post crewisms

D
Old 05-29-2012, 09:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Kinda summed it all up, keep coming back
Old 05-29-2012, 10:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you're happy and you know it ...

Promise not to change my name. On to Day 6!
Old 05-29-2012, 10:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Brilliant post crewisms. I too have been in denial for many many years.
It feels great to chuck all that nonsense away, stand up and be accountable to ourselves finally.
I'm on day 5. Also feeling positive about the future, and it feels great to be sharing it with so many like minded people.
Thankyou x
Old 05-29-2012, 11:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats! You can do it!
Old 05-30-2012, 12:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post crewisms. I'm 24 and can already relate to half your list. Posts like that really help me to see where I am going if I don't quit. Thanks again for sharing.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for this list. My sponsor asked me to draw up something similar as part of my Step One. I did so but still ended up relapsing on a number of occassions. Like you, I am back to the beginning. I've done eight days without a drink now. I've been to meetings pretty much every day but I haven't written an updated unmageability list. Perhaps I should.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Brilliant list - good to hear you won't be changing your name xx
Old 05-30-2012, 01:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I quit April 21st this year so I'm new here. I relate to the tolerance with no hangover the last few months. That's what scared me and I was afraid of dying in my sleep. Make it a go this time, ok? Watch out for that addictive voice. It can be tricky. keep connecting here.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by crewisms View Post
Maybe, just maybe one person can learn from my experience and choose a life of sobriety a little earlier in the progression than I did.
I think a lot of us can relate to your story...I know I can. Except for changing my name here. I was 5 months sober when I found this site. Like you..I chose a life of sobriety many times....And then did nothing about it. I don't see anything in your post about what you are doing different...Other than a new name and a new sobriety date here.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
I think a lot of us can relate to your story...I know I can. Except for changing my name here. I was 5 months sober when I found this site. Like you..I chose a life of sobriety many times....And then did nothing about it. I don't see anything in your post about what you are doing different...Other than a new name and a new sobriety date here.
Excellent point, Sapling. When I previously joined SR and subsequently changed sobriety dates, then later my names, I never posted anything. I read a lot, but even with anonymity I couldn’t muster the courage to “go public” and declare my intent to quit; most likely because I really didn’t want to quit. A lot of us former Marines lack courage off the battlefield, methinks.

Beyond posting in SR for the first time, the biggest difference are that I’ve chosen to be open about my alcoholism with my friends, family and co-workers and actively engaged in helping others do the same, rather than live a life of selfishness (in all facets of life) that was contained every bottle of tequila or any other alcohol I consumed.

And rather than dive into and obsessing about any singular method of obtaining and retaining sobriety, I’m using what works for me from AA, AVRT, Christianity and any other source I can find that fits my personality and my belief system.

For now, what has helped the most is embracing how I became a one-man, under-the-influence wrecking crew and taking steps to change that going forward, and probably more important, for the first time in my life I’m asking for help with my addiction, often through SR.

Day 6 begins with vigor and commitment.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Crewisms
Bless you for writing that.
It took courage and strength and I have no doubt it will tip it (not the bottle) for someone on the edge of quitting or not.
I too am onto day 6 tomorrow "with vigor and commitment"
Old 05-31-2012, 08:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good job, crewisms. Keep it up!
Old 05-31-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thatnks for your post. I will never forget the misery of my last drink, it keeps me sober-that, and turning it over to God each day before my feet hit the ground- and thanking Him at the end of the day for not letting me pick it back up. This is the program that has kept me sober since Nov.1, 2010 one day at a time.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Crewisms,

Looks like you are starting off on the right food. Best wishes.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Admire your honesty in that post.

Thanks and all the best to you in your quest for a sober life.