Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Honest, I know I'm posting too much but I''m just hanging by a thread right now

Notices

Honest, I know I'm posting too much but I''m just hanging by a thread right now

Old 06-03-2012, 06:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
orangutan

Keep posting Fitz, just keep posting, we are listening ,this is the place to get it all out. We all know that place your in . Strength sent your way.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
~sb

Are you getting phone numbers of people from any of those support groups? They'd love to hear from you or maybe come over to play cards or something... Working the steps is a new level of relief and freedom.

Sending love and light your way, Fitz!
Old 06-03-2012, 08:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Providence keeps knocking on my freaking door. All the power went out in the whole area, and my elderly next door neighbor with some dementia came knocking because her lights and TV went off and she was scared near tears. I set her down and tried to explain it was a blown transformer or something which didn't go anyplace so I sat her down and called her son and while waiting asked her about her childhood. She has no short term memory but can remember the old days. I had to reintroduce myself as I do everyday but she got talking and calmed and told her story her son came and got her and then the power came back on. I was freaking because I lost my SR connection but I was so busy concerned and caring about her I didn't have room and time for my depression. Every damn time the shift is hitting the fan there's a knock on my door.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:05 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
~sb

There's a power greater than you helping you out here....

<----- wink

:ghug3
Old 06-03-2012, 08:15 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I know that but we frequently arm wrestle. I haven't won yet but we've had some close matches
Old 06-03-2012, 08:18 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MycoolFitz View Post
I know that but we frequently arm wrestle. I haven't won yet but we've had some close matches
Let Him win.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:22 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Well, for a second there I thought you might still be talking about your elderly neighbor. ;-) I hope you're feeling a little better; I do believe things happen for a reason. And it was so nice of you to take the time to ease this lady's fears.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:38 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hey guys the SOS (Save our sobriety) is down right now. Your care and concern and my neighbors needs were just the right things. Thanks so very much, the storm clouds are lifting, at least for now.

Plan to go to bed tonight sober and awake in a like manner.

"If we think only of ourselves, forget about other people, then our minds occupy very small area. Inside that small area, even tiny problem appears very big. But the moment you develop a sense of concern for others, you realize that, just like ourselves, they also want happiness; they also want satisfaction. When you have this sense of concern, your mind automatically widens. At this point, your own problems, even big problems, will not be so significant. The result? Big increase in peace of mind. So, if you think only of yourself, only your own happiness, the result is actually less happiness. You get more anxiety, more fear.

By Dalai Lama XIV

My heart felt appreiation--Michael
Old 06-03-2012, 08:42 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Good stuff Fitz.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:45 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Glad you got through it Fitz. And as for posting too much, a lyric from a Billy Bragg song comes to mind:

"You could never stay a day too long nor ever come back too soon."

You're a huge part of this community! And I hear the Internet's a big place, so I don't think there's any danger of over-filling it.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:47 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
orangutan

Glad your feeling better Fitz.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:51 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

It sounds like to weathered the storm Fitz. Good for you. You hung tough and you didn't drink. To top it off you were able to help another human being in their time of need. if you picked up a drink who knows where it may have ended. Perhaps tomorrow or maybe not. There is always hope if we alcoholics do not drink, however " a alcoholic in their cups is a unlovely creature".
Old 06-03-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Fitz,
You did not drink tonight which allowed you to be there for someone in more need of help than yourself. If that's not winning I don't know what is. Good job!
Old 06-03-2012, 10:14 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

What i love about this place is that I could reach out and so many people care
Old 06-03-2012, 10:46 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Fitz!
Wow I haven't clicked on new posts in ages and here you are. I am glad you got through that. I always prefer when life sucks to have it suck sober than drunk. Like you tonight; sober it doesn't get worse because of our actions. We can actually influence the outcomes sober. Not so when drinking. It might feel better to not care for a few hours, but then we can and do make it worse than it was by our actions while drinking.

I am glad you made it my friend. Tonight, you changed the things you could, and knew the difference in the end didn't you? You can't change being an alcoholic, only whether you drink or not.

Drinking is not inevitable for an alcoholic. Unless we believe that and dwell on it. Be care-full of what you wish for.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:37 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Keep up your good fighting and Notice the help from the Higher UP. Its not just coincidence that you are being kept busy at the time of weakness. You are a good person, calming that lady down and calling her son. You are a good spirited person. You were a hero for someone today. These moments of temptation come and go and with each one You are getting stronger. Youre building your muscles for this battle. I know how depression can just make you wanna say OH well and not try. But you know you're fighting back with your thought " I am going to stay sober!!!!!." Good for you. My prayers are with you and my hugs and smiles are sent to you. Beautiful Mariposa. (Butterfly)
Old 06-03-2012, 11:38 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

You did exactly the right thing Fitz, SR is THE place to turn to in a crisis, I've done it many times myself and it has often stopped that slide back into drinking for me too.
We love reading your posts, they are honest, amusing and thought provoking.
So proud of you weathering that storm. Keep going, you're doing so well xxx
Old 06-04-2012, 04:04 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Really good job of posting here BEFORE drinking. My brother would always tell me that if I was going to drink that I should go to an AA meeting first. Of course I never did go to an AA meeting drunk. Well done.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:18 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope today will be a better day for you Fitz

D
Old 06-04-2012, 05:25 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Good morning Fitz! I am rooting for you!

Is your doctor giving you medication for your depression? Sometimes we need meds. Nothing wrong with it. They WORK when we aren't drinking too!!!