Notices

Day one for me.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lydiebreeze View Post
I am going to AA (went through rehab etc...)
I think it's important to have the support of other alcoholic/addicts.
I heard this at a meeting the other day...
"So I figured out I was the problem - and I tried to fix myself, now what's wrong with THAT picture? A problem can't fix a problem!"
We all need as much outside support as we can get!
That's what has kept me sober for 11 months....I didn't think I'd make it a week....Now I see a year within reach...And all I have to do today...Is what I did yesterday.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by Elisabeth888 View Post
Welcome!

I am reading a pretty good book that I would suggest: The Zen of Recovery.
Great book.

Having inspiring authors to draw encouragement and strength from is a great aid to my living alcohol free. Pema's books have helped me.

"Non-theism is relaxing with the ambiguity and uncertainty of the present moment without reaching for anything to protect ourselves. ... Nontheism is finally realizing there is no babysitter you can count on."
-Pema Chödrön
Old 06-01-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi needtobe, welcome. Here is my analogy of what the beginning of recovery feels like: you have a closet in your house that has been used as the dumping grounds and collection area. It is getting hard to control and every time the door is opened you need to use the weight of your whole body to close it again. Well, there is a foul odor eminating from the closet. Maybe someone tossed some food in there. Its smelling up the whole house. You must get at it or the whole house is unlivable, so, you open the door and stuff comes piling out. You sit down on the floor and examine each piece that tumbles out. Is the item still useful to you? You start the sorting process but some of the things bring up memories. Are you going to slam the closet closed rather than deal with the unpleasant emotions? What about the old burrito in the back of the closet that needs to be tossed out? Such is the process of recovery...stay with it, it DOES get better. And YOU CAN DO THIS!! Blessings to you..