Notices

Drinking in public places

Old 06-01-2012, 12:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
instant

Drinking in public places

Saw a lady when I was out shopping at 12.30pm drinking from a mixer can (bourbon and coke) with a straw. I have seen a few people lately drinking in public.

I gave thanks it was over for me
Old 06-01-2012, 12:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

been there done that...cant believe i havent been put in prison for life
Old 06-01-2012, 01:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I was in Japan - they have beer in vending machines there - I went with a group of people I'd met at the hostel to a bar. On bicycles. Stopped off on the way for a can. 'Don't drink it sat on your bike,' they told me. 'You can be done for drink cycling here.' 'So why go on bikes then?' I felt like asking.
Anyway, on the way back we stopped at a convenience store and when we came out there was a cop there. We had to wait till he'd gone before we could continue home.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Used to head off to the convenience store outside my work place and grab a can pretty much as soon I'd finished the working day. Often opened it seconds after coming out of the shop and would swig it on my way home, swaying through the other pedestrians on their way home. Then I'd find another convenience store near my house and top with a "proper" six pack which I'd drink on my own in home... before setting out to the pub to drink and behave badly in front of other people. Yuck.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I used to love the old "drink-n-walk". Figured it was better than drinking and driving and besides, I actually thought it was good exercise
Old 06-01-2012, 05:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I did that too. Thank God I don't have to anymore
Old 06-01-2012, 06:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I live in a "party town," and it isn't unusual to see people walking around carrying flasks. A local restaurant advertises mimosa brunches on Facebook and invites people to come in and "drink away their hangovers." And one of our convenience stores is now carrying an alcoholic version of Slurpees in different flavors ... mind boggling. And sad.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
So it goes

My offices are next to two bars. It isnt unusual to see people on the pavement tables drinking a beer at 830 am
I never did that (well not outside anyway!)
Old 06-01-2012, 08:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I visited Lisbon, Portugal about a year ago. I was shocked to see how many people drank in public. In fact, without a doubt there were more people drinking in public than there were drinking in bars.

I can’t say for certain how the ability to freely drink outdoors would have affected my alcoholism (or anyone else’s). Lord knows I drank indoors and then went out driving (and walking, bicycling) countless times.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Last year, in Spain, I gave my first talk ever at a conference. Afterwards, I went with a girl to have drinks.

We walked around but I couldn't find a bar that appealed to me, and she had already told me she was not going to the trashy cerveceria I liked, so finally I said "Forget bars, I'm buying beer and drinking in the street." She though I was joking...

I bought two tall cans of 10% beer (I like malt liquor) and chugged both by the time we got back to the hostel.

To be honest, it's a pretty good memory, I just don't want to do that kind of stuff anymore. I'm also not sure how good a memory it is for her...
Old 06-01-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Those Locos have gotten me in BIG trouble before. Two of those equaled wasted for me. It makes me gag thinking about it.