Notices

New here

Old 05-31-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

I've decided to give sobriety a real shot this time. I'm going to my first AA meeting tonight and my hubby is going for moral support. I'm a christian that has lost control of alcohol, so the God thing isn't an issue for me at all.

I know that my withdrawl should be nothing more than some shaking and anxiety.

I will also be taking a cruise soon (one week into sobriety). Does anyone know if AA groups are held on ships?

Any advice on how to stop trying to rationalize that first drink in the first few weeks of recovery? I've made it 30 days before on my own then always find a way to see if I can control it now. Lately, if I make 2 days I'm lucky. About 1 is all can muster up sober. I usually drink a bottle or two of wine fairly quickly in the evening after work. It might not sound like a lot, but I'm post gastric by-pass and absorb it instantly. When I started drinking again after I lost my weight from surgery, the instant gratification sealed the deal of alcoholism for me. A year of trying to handle it on my own isn't working.

I look forward to any responses or insite members here of any length of sobriety have to offer!
Old 05-31-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I think that once you believe drinking is no longer an option, your mind will shift and start coming up with other ways to get through each day. What worked well for me in the very early days was changing my habits. For me, early evening was a really bad time, so I decided to get outside after supper, every day, and take a long walk. It helped in so many ways and got me through that early evening time.

I`m not an AA person but I`ve been on a few cruises and they always have Friends of Bill groups. I don`t know how active they would be, but cruising is awesome and there are a million things to do onboard that don`t involve drinking.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hardtofind View Post
I will also be taking a cruise soon (one week into sobriety). Does anyone know if AA groups are held on ships?
A lot of them do...I think they call them "Friends of Bill". You can ask about it. More power to you for quitting a week before a cruise. Get some phone numbers at the meeting tonight...You can introduce yourself that you are new and would like some women's phone numbers...Use them...Talking to other alcoholics helps you and helps them....You start getting feelings you need to drink...Call somebody. Use this site for support too. Good people in AA and here too.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Any advice on how to stop trying to rationalize that first drink in the first few weeks of recovery?
the steps of AA. and the fellowship will teach ya them.get a big book, too. read it and do what it says.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Bring your Big Book with you on the cruise. If no one is there when you go to the Friend of Bill meeting, many members I know take the time to sit and read for an hour. This way you can still keep your mind in recovery.

Welcome back to SR
Old 05-31-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shockozulu View Post
Bring your Big Book with you on the cruise. If no one is there when you go to the Friend of Bill meeting, many members I know take the time to sit and read for an hour. This way you can still keep your mind in recovery.

Welcome back to SR
Good call.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Hardtofind! It sounds like you're really ready to do this. SR helped me not to feel alone anymore, and that was a huge help. Let us know how the meeting goes.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR hardtofind

Coming here daily, posting, reading other peoples responses and reaching out to them stopped me from having those drinking rationalisations.

You'll find a lot of other ideas and support here too

SR really helped me turn my life around - I hope you'll find the same

Welcome!
D
Old 05-31-2012, 02:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I went on a Royal Carribean cruise and they had some sort of meeting, plus a lot of designated nondrinking activities. I'm sure you'll have a lot to do, and I would bring reading materials and inspiration for poolside reading. Also, you can ask your designated server (same everday) to remove wine glass and drink menu each night so no extra temptations. They are very accommodating. Have fun!
Old 05-31-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind words and support everyone. Makes me feel more confident it is possible
Old 05-31-2012, 06:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just got back from a beginner AA meeting. Definately have the courage to try a regular one tomorrow. From hearing other people speak, I can tell that I'm catching this in it's late early stage and there is hope.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

hardtofind

Ofcourse there is hope! If I can quit drinking, anyone can. Best wishes, and welcome to SR!
Old 05-31-2012, 06:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am a christian to

Hi I am a christian two so I know how you feel bad enough drinking but also to carry around the guilt I live in a small town and would die if anyone from church saw me going to the liquor store.I am always embarresed to go in in case I am seen .Good luck quitting I am only on day 3 but feeling better wishing you all the best and keeping you in my prayers
Old 06-01-2012, 07:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jbm1954 View Post
Hi I am a christian two so I know how you feel bad enough drinking but also to carry around the guilt I live in a small town and would die if anyone from church saw me going to the liquor store.I am always embarresed to go in in case I am seen .Good luck quitting I am only on day 3 but feeling better wishing you all the best and keeping you in my prayers
I'm on day two now. I hate the guilt of living a double life. I also teach at a christian school to top it off. I'd love to keep in touch if you wanna pm me.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

If there are no meetings on the ship, take a Big Book with you and spend time in it every day. If you are taking a computer and have internet access on board, you can also do some online AA meetings or jump into the chat here on SR. You can still stay connected to others and still work on your recovery.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, Hardtofind!

Hang in there on day 2!
Old 06-01-2012, 10:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome! I don't know if I could go on a cruise so early but if I had to come up with any advice, it would be to keep focusing on how wasteful it would be to spend half the next day hungover or groggy and how much more fun things you can take advantage of by waking up clear headed and optimistic.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OneLessLonely View Post
Welcome! I don't know if I could go on a cruise so early but if I had to come up with any advice, it would be to keep focusing on how wasteful it would be to spend half the next day hungover or groggy and how much more fun things you can take advantage of by waking up clear headed and optimistic.
That's my thoughts exactly. Ton of money on booze and half the day on the toilet doesn't a good time make.