Notices

Taking first step

Old 05-29-2012, 11:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Taking first step

Ok....so I want this to work. I need to get past the things that I associate with drinking and fun? Football tailgate, concerts camping this weekend. Looking for advice on how to replace the alcohol that I normally would have at these events and still have an enjoyable experience.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The first step is admitting you have a problem.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

I'm still looking for a way to enjoy myself sober. It will come eventually I'm sure but I will leave the tailgating off my activity list for a while since that includes being surrounded by a thousand drunk football fans haha.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hi IW2

It might be worth thinking whether you can cope with camping this early.

I have found I have had to let go of a certain amount of pleasure or fun, but in return I am experiencing a more profound hapiness, just enjoying being, and enjoying exercise, running and walking. Other people's journies may be different though.

Well done for quitting!
Old 05-30-2012, 12:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can do all those things without booze. Just keep a red cup in your hand with water or a soda and no one will know the difference. You'd be amazed that no one really cares whether or not you drink except you.

As for things like camping just make sure you have lots of activities planned. Instead of sitting around a fire drinking, go hiking, play horse shoes, build a fort with the kids, go fishing, go shooting, etc.

It's all in how you approach it. If you go in focusing on drinking and making those activities about drinking, then you're gonna be miserable and/or relapse. If you focus on the more positive aspects you'll have a much more enjoyable sober time.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Any excuse was a good excuse for me to drink. You can do this!
Old 05-30-2012, 01:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Compare this situation : Drinking at home while doing nothing and Drinking same amount of alcohol during football or camping . Which is more enjoyable ? If it is during football or camping , then what is making it enjoyable ? Alcohol or activity ? It is our addictive voice which makes us believe that the activity will not be fun without alcohol or it will be more fun with alcohol. Yes, it is easier said than done. We really appreciate your situation very well as we are the victim of the same faulty thinking pattern. Let us try to overcome this addictive voice ...
Old 05-30-2012, 02:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Iwant2 View Post
Ok....so I want this to work. I need to get past the things that I associate with drinking and fun? Football tailgate, concerts camping this weekend. Looking for advice on how to replace the alcohol that I normally would have at these events and still have an enjoyable experience.
This sounds like you were having an enjoyable experience with alcohol at these events. So why do you want to stop? Has the enjoyment gone? Does alcohol cause you pain rather than enjoyment? Is your drinking hurting you? When you take a drink can you easily control how much you have, or have you lost control. Can you guarantee your behaviour after you take a drink? Do you find yourself drinking without conscious thought, like it wasn't planned, or you planned to stop and drink anyway? Have you lost the power of choice?

Honest answers to these questions will help with step one. For me, it was a no brainer
Old 05-30-2012, 05:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I find everything I need in the fellowship of AA.

All the best in your chosen recovery program.

Bob R
Old 05-30-2012, 05:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you will be able to change your habits, though it may not be as simple as replacing alcohol with something else. Sometimes we need to change activities and friends as well, depending on what triggers us to drink.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!