Notices

day one

Old 05-28-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day one

Ok turned 58 last week and I have to get sober drinking 50+ beers a week and sick sick sick of it all the sneaking beers into the fridge sneaking empties out to the garage drinking one beer in front of tv and having another in the fridge.Drinking in the morning and trying to pace myself so not drunk when my wife gets home.Sick of not getting a good sleep always waking up at 3..4oclock in morning when drinking sick of feeling like crap and being a prisoner after a few beers because I cant go out cant take my grandaughter out to the park and resentfull when I have to take her to brownies because then I cannot drink until 8 oclock.This is truly a pathetic way to live my life cannot and will not continue like this.So day one wish me luck.............................................. .............
Old 05-28-2012, 06:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome

Have you spoken to a Dr about quitting ?

I'm glad you're here - you'll get an awful lot of support xx
Old 05-28-2012, 07:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello Jbm. I know that feeling all too well. With me it was the wine.
You get so sick of living that horrible way of life, well it is'nt really living is it. Just existing!
Being sober is a truly life changing experience. And it just gets better and better.
I am only a few days sober, but I never want to go back to that hell.
I can't remember who it was who said this on the forum recently, but he was on Day 5 and he said he felt fantastic and almost 'superhuman'.
I can only agree with that!
It's amazing.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bonnie1 View Post
Hello Jbm. I know that feeling all too well. With me it was the wine.
You get so sick of living that horrible way of life, well it is'nt really living is it. Just existing!
Being sober is a truly life changing experience. And it just gets better and better.
I am only a few days sober, but I never want to go back to that hell.
I can't remember who it was who said this on the forum recently, but he was on Day 5 and he said he felt fantastic and almost 'superhuman'.
I can only agree with that!
It's amazing.
Couldn't agree more. On day 5 (yesterday) I somehow went out and ran 2.5 miles. I haven't run more than .5 miles in the last 5 years. My legs are paying for it today but it felt fantastic! Hang in there! I can't imagine how great I'll feel on day 10.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good luck to you jbm. I know exactly how you feel.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks for support

Just like to say thanks for the support only first day but you gotta start somewhere I just know this has to work for me as I get older my body cannot take the abuse it did when I was younger.I guess you have to get realy sick and tired of the constant cycle.Which I am I am about 25lbs overweight and as I head the few years to retirement I know something will give.I used to think people were crazy living for there next drink but that is who I have become.I wake up wanting that first beer and sneaking a few before I make breakfast for my wife and the strange thing is after the first few I feel OK then I get tired and fall asleep.My wife thinks it is just getting older but it is the alcohol.I dont like to eat to early as I find I cannot drink beer on a full stomach.I lie to my wife and tell her ive had a late lunch at work and microwave my dinner later.Would you believe I even try not to eat to much at christmass lunch so I can drink when I get home.As I write this I realy begin to realise the hold and control alcohol can have in your life.Its any excuse to drink bad day,good day,weekday.day off,any day at all.Ihate this cycle over and over.I have about 18 beer in the garage my daughter is home today but tommorow down the sink they go and back to the beer store with the empties.Good riddance please keep supporting me as I know it is not easy .................................................. ......
Old 05-28-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Jbm, again that's how I felt. As you get older you start thinking about what you have become and also what you have acheived in life. I got to the point where I wanted to get my freedom back, and totally change the way I lived.
I wanted to look in the mirror first thing in the morning and see a person that was raring to start the day, freshfaced and and clear eyed.
Not the horrible, hungover nauseous face looking back at me!
I want to live my life to the full and have fun.
Also my husband says 'it's good to have his wife back', back to the way I used to be when we first met and fell in love.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

Have you tried reading Alcoholics Anonymous book--it's online. Or listen to speakers on xa-speakers.org. Or maybe even getting to a meeting? There is a solution.

Seeing a doctor for proper detoxing is also very important.

Glad you are here!
Old 05-28-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jbm1954 View Post
drinking 50+ beers a week and sick sick sick of it all the sneaking beers into the fridge sneaking empties out to the garage drinking one beer in front of tv and having another in the fridge.
You spend half of your life drinking and the other half trying to cover it up. I don't know who to give credit to on that but it's true to a lot
Old 05-28-2012, 11:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome jbm!

Your post really takes me back to what it was like..... I'm really glad you've decided you don't deserve to live like that anymore. I was living like that, too and just want to say that even though it's hard to imagine right now, there really is a great life on the other side of alcohol! Keep reading and posting!