Notices

This is a really rough Weekend!!

Old 05-26-2012, 08:14 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks, Sapling. Yeah, the heat makes me think of a cold drink outside. And being at a stressful family gathering does too. It helps to hear others say it, but knowing we wont give in.

Hevyn,. It is my first sober summer too... Each event / activity done sober the first time is a trigger for me. But then it goes away... No alcohol, and the trigger evaporates.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:16 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Zee

It is my birthday! (26th) I'm 41 now and I have nearly 9 months. The sun was shining and the weather was hot. I didn't drink although all those around me did! I am OK although I succumed to tears twice (not like me at all!) OK, so, I am no longer a christmas, new year and birthday virgin anymore! Onwards and upwards!!!
Old 05-26-2012, 08:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Good for you Zee...Happy Birthday!!
Old 05-26-2012, 10:53 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Three day weekend...Beginning of summer...School's out...Baseball...Excuses...Excuses....Excuses.
Delusion, In the grips of a progressive disease, denial, inability to see the truth, selfishness, mental obsession, untreated alcoholism, no effective mental defense, no power, no God, no willingness, no desire to be sober really, no support, not being in service to others, not running my ideas by my sponsor, comparing myself to others, self pity, resentment, fear, etc....

these are the reasons I might succumb to the mental obsession and take a first drink.

God help me always see my truth when it comes to drinking, AND have that be enough along with Your power to save me.

Amen.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:24 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

great reminder

I do the ice cold selzer or club soda and if I want some flaver I use these little flavor things called mios, probably something similar everywhere.
I'll still be icing it down this year but it won't be beer and I won't have to worry bout one of the kids getting in my water bottle and tasting vodka.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:35 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Just a little bump as we trudge through this weekend....Vigilant....Tatoo it on your forehead if you have to.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Great thread Sapling!

Isn't it weird to think about normal people, how these thoughts never even enter their minds. They just go about their day, like normal. My husband is one of those people and it totally baffles me. I try to keep him in mind whenever the thought of drinking enters my mind. I try to wrap my mind around how my thinking is not normal, how there he is, just sitting there, thinking about whatever, not having this internal war about drinking. Crazy.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Zee - I felt so much better after I got over all those holiday hurdles. I was very emotional in the beginning, too - almost grieving in a way. I now realize that's ridiculous.

When we see that we can make it without caving, it strengthens us so much. I no longer see special occasions as a time to endure, but a time to enjoy in a different way. After they're over, there's none of that horrible guilt and remorse. Who knew?

Happy B-Day Zee!
Old 05-27-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Great thread. I have had a torrid weekend of thoughts/cravings made a 100 times worse by the hot weather here in London, seems like alcohell is everywhere. I am so glad it is over, but sad cause I feel like I am wishing my life away.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Indeed Sapling, this is a rough time for many. This weekend then the 4th and finally Labor Day. Just to roll in to Holloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and the the grand daddy New Year. In other words there is never any time to relax with your sobriety.

Have a great weekend and thank you for the post.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:31 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

When I decided to do this whole sobriety thing last Monday, I was not thinking about Memorial Day weekend! I probably would have chickened out if I had thought it through a little longer and given myself the chance to talk myself out of it. After all, this is a hard time to give up drinking. But I'd just find an excuse next week and the week after that. It's a tough weekend, but I do believe I'm going to pull it off. Yesterday was so hard, but I didn't drink. By comparison, today is a walk in the park.

I'm drinking tons of coffee, tea, and diet cokes though. I should probably cut back on the caffeine.