Notices

Addicted to bowl fresh cleaners

Old 10-26-2018, 05:34 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Peaches - welcome

we don't allow people to post their email addresses - thats for your protection as much as anything else - but you can certainly respond to others who will post here

Obviously eating bowl fresheners can't be good for you and almost certainly dangerous - anemia or low iron seems to be a factor in a lot of these stories I've read here - have you considered speaking to your Dr about this?

As you can see others have had this problem too - you'll find support and understanding here

D
Old 03-25-2019, 02:23 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Same!

I also like bowl fresh cleaners they are cool too bite once in a while bc they are crunchy and when you break them and wet them the smell intensifies its like pine sol cleaner i like it but dont digest it , never.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:54 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Omg! Me too! I don’t eat them but I also love to smell them while crushing ice. I always thought that was not normal and wondered why I do it. I’m glad I’m not the only one.
Originally Posted by Janedprincess View Post
I also have a extreme desire to smell and eat toilet bowl freshners. It started from a visit to a place of business that used them and I've been smelling them since. I am pregnant so I don't know if the desire will continue after my pregnancy but, after a while of smelling them I wanted to start eating. Because I know it's just not healthy I discovered a way to curve my appetite for them. I simultaneously eat ice while smelling them and the the smoothness of the ice makes me believe it is the freshners. I found that this only work with the moon shaped ice cubes not square or crushed and I melt the ice down to smaller pieces and chew them while smelling it and it does wonders for me. I also run hot water on them before smelling it to make the smell stronger so it can make them smell way more pungent while chewing. good luck 😊
Old 05-21-2019, 06:38 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome jbd

D
Old 05-21-2019, 06:51 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Maybe see a psychologist to change the thinking and behavior?
Old 05-21-2019, 07:26 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

If you are having your iron supplements increased then try the iron with vitamin C, vitamin C increases the absorption of iron and is less rough on your stomach, anemia is rough, if that still doesn’t help then ask your doctor about vit B12 shots because the type of anemia may not be helped by just iron alone. Good luck, the cleaning chemicals are rough business for your body
Old 02-23-2024, 02:12 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Me too

I'm also addicted to sniffing toilet deoderizer (bowl fresh ONLY), don't eat it, but keep it around to sniff when i get am urge (such as.... The laundry room & the sink in my bathroom so my hubby didn't know!!!! I also have one clinged to each of. my toilets 😵 idk got to stop it and idk what it will take for me not to eat it????? I don't think it's gotten that far, i do have anemia, but i just want to be healthy!!!!!
Old 02-23-2024, 02:19 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcomed VBritt

maybe mentioning it to your Doctor is a good first step?
They maybe able to refer you to someone else if they can’t help you themselves?

D
Old 02-24-2024, 05:12 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

"Pica" is the medical term for a compulsion to eat non-food things. Sometimes it's ice chips, sometimes it's dirt, maybe sometimes it's bowl cleaners. Point is, this is a real thing, and there are known ways to deal with it. You might get control over this with a DIY approach, but there is help available. I'd start with your physician, and ask for a referral to someone who can evaluate you for pica and treat it, if that's indeed what's going on. There are professionals who help with this kind of thing, just so you know.
Old 02-24-2024, 09:15 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

^^^ I'm with Radix on this one.
Old 02-25-2024, 02:06 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hey MissH,

Argh - I really feel for you! It must be hard reaching out with something like this, as it’s so unusual.

I saw a programme once where a lady was addicted to eating the walls of her grandmother’s house!

It’s really hard for other people to fathom, but as an addict myself of multiple vices (alcohol, coke, gambling - all of which I don’t do now) I know that WHATEVER the addiction is, the thought processes and the ‘model’ are the same. And it’s all consuming. So, although I haven’t been hooked on bowl cleaners, I can understand your problem on a basic level.

I don’t know enough about this topic to suggest anything, but please do keep posting.

The ingredients in bowl cleaner might do the damage to your body much faster than other substances like alcohol. Although I have no idea.

Just a quick note on the anemia: Is your addiction to ingesting bowl cleaner definitely linked to your iron deficiency? Or are you not sure. If it is, having vitamin C with your iron helps the body absorb the iron better. Also, instead of tablets, try eating liver or steak for iron, I believe the nutrients are much more bioavailable.

Again, you might have tried this.

Keep us updated - you are never alone. We all understand addiction.

xxxx hugs

Old 02-25-2024, 02:08 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Schne View Post
If you are having your iron supplements increased then try the iron with vitamin C, vitamin C increases the absorption of iron and is less rough on your stomach, anemia is rough, if that still doesn’t help then ask your doctor about vit B12 shots because the type of anemia may not be helped by just iron alone. Good luck, the cleaning chemicals are rough business for your body
Ah, just noticed the vitamin C thing has already been mentioned! Sorry for repeating it.
Agree, cleaning chemicals are rough business on the body
Old 02-25-2024, 04:31 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
needingtochange

"It's not about getting a high. I don't get a high from it. It's a satisfaction" Isn't that the same thing? The high is the satisfaction.