Notices

Addicted to bowl fresh cleaners

Old 05-27-2012, 08:33 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Did you tell your doctor that you had been eating these things?
Old 05-27-2012, 02:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was wondering if maybe you need to see a Therapist as well, Miss H?
Sometimes the mental aspect of an addiction is even greater than the physical.

D
Old 08-09-2012, 08:35 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for posting this. Im 25 years old and Im addicted to the same thing. Its like a compulsion. I used to open the package and crush it up to eat. I woyuld put my candy bars in it or even add it too food. I have been addicted since I was 16 years old. I thank you for this because I felt so ashamed like I was a freak or something. In my mind I was like this is so bizarre no one in the world would do this. I have also been diagnosed with anemia. This "drug" has put me in the hospital, caused my body to break down even lowered my blood to dangerous levels which made me have to have a blood transfusion. I dont eat them as much now. I may go into a store and take a piece off but Its scary. I dont know why i became addicted to this of all things and even though my will power has gotten stronger I still have urges. So please dont feel alone. You have someone that is going through the same thing
Old 08-09-2012, 10:29 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome needundersandin -

I'm glad you posted - your addiction is more unusual than most, but no matter what the substance, addiction affects us all in similar ways. It's been a while since the OP was here, but we're glad to have you with us, and maybe she'll be back and see this...

p.s. - also, you might want to google info on addiction to toilet bowl cleaners and/or moth balls. I read a little about it last year and there really are people out there who have the same addiction (apparently there is a chemical - I think it's PDB or PBD, something like that, that has an affect on some people and it's an ingredient in some of these products).
Old 08-09-2012, 10:55 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to you needunderstanding

like Artsoul said, addiction is addiction, and all of us here understand it at a base level.

good to have you here - you'll find a lot of support

D

D
Old 12-30-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
MissH...

Really, it doesn't matter WHAT it is you do, how much you do it, how often, or whether other ppl understand it or not. Hell, I knew drinking, smoking and doing drugs wasn't the smartest thing in the world and do you want to know what? That never slowed me down for a second when one was in my hand.

I come here to talk about recovery......and whatever it is you're taking, whatever it is that seems to have your number.... you CAN recovery from that crap.

Get started on the obvious stuff (anemia) and go forward from there. If you need help, there's plenty of that around.

That's for your positive feedback.. I love comet myself but I'm trying to take these nasty iron pills and trying to stop eating it. I'm 3 days clean. Well not clean as my toilet..! Lol
Old 12-30-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissHysteria View Post
It's not about getting a high. I don't get a high from it. It's a satisfaction
That fulfills me. The smell of the cleaner is something I can't describe. When I crush one it's stronger and I take tiny pieces and crunch on them. It tastes so good and satisfies and calms me.
I called my doc and have an appointment for Thursday. Thank you everyone for your support.
I have been struggling with eating comet for years now. I don't eat much but I love to eat it. Of course I keep a cup of ice to chew on but the comet is so good to me!. We can overcome I know we will! I'm on day 3 today but I really could use a little. But I'm going to fight this...
Old 12-30-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

How are things going with comet? I'm on day 3 clean... But I can just taste the comet in my mouth...
Old 12-30-2014, 01:13 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Congrats on 3 days.
Check out those posts on Urge Surfing. They can be applied to any addiction
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html
Also why don't you join the 24 hours recovery connection where people commit to abstain from whatever addiction they have for the next 24 hours?
Taking it a day at a time and joining a supportive thread might help
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-31-a-25.html
Old 05-30-2016, 02:08 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Curbing the desire for eating them

I also have a extreme desire to smell and eat toilet bowl freshners. It started from a visit to a place of business that used them and I've been smelling them since. I am pregnant so I don't know if the desire will continue after my pregnancy but, after a while of smelling them I wanted to start eating. Because I know it's just not healthy I discovered a way to curve my appetite for them. I simultaneously eat ice while smelling them and the the smoothness of the ice makes me believe it is the freshners. I found that this only work with the moon shaped ice cubes not square or crushed and I melt the ice down to smaller pieces and chew them while smelling it and it does wonders for me. I also run hot water on them before smelling it to make the smell stronger so it can make them smell way more pungent while chewing. good luck 😊
Old 05-30-2016, 02:19 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum Janedprincess. I am glad you have found a way to stop eating them, especially while pregnant. I wonder if you could find an even healthier alternative such a mints made for human consumption? You could try various brands until you find one you like. I could be way off the mark here, but I only suggest mints as you said it gave you a taste/feeling of "freshness"
All addictions are concerning. Alcohol and drugs destroy our bodies. I am not saying your addiction is worse than alcohol or drugs, but it concerns me because I am sure the standards are different in a factory that produces cleaning products as apposed to a factory that produces alcohol or medications meant for human consumption.
Please be careful during your pregnancy, often pregnant women are warned not to inhale or come into contact with harsh cleaners during pregnancy.

Just to be clear, no judgement here, addiction is addiction. You can overcome this.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:50 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I love the smell of that too so much so that I have scabs on the inside of my nose... I want to bit into it but have been afraid of that. I have one in every bathroom and one in the laundry room that I sniff every time I'm in there to hide it from my husband. I also am anemic and have low blood platelet count. When I took iron I lost the desire to sniff but became obsessed with eating crushed ice. I'm sure the crunching drives my hubs crazy but hasn't said anything so far.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:54 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome everyonehasone

This is a great place for support and understanding - I'm glad you found us

D
Old 06-21-2017, 01:58 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I get a quick dizzy spell and love the smell. I also used to hold my hand over the Comet/Clorox powder and sniff that. I smells like heaven to me. I also LOVE the smell of bleach and indoor pools.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:34 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

Doesn't seem like you'd be doing your health much good.

Have you thought about seeing a therapist or maybe going back to your Dr again?

D
Old 08-25-2017, 11:46 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I am addicted to the smell of lavender mothballs and Fresh Bowl. I have been on and off for 3 years now, every time I try to stop I always find my way back to them. I like crushing them in a sock and taking deep smells. It calms me when I'm stressed out. I used to be really bad when I first started smelling them, I would buy a bunch of pucks and melt them in a candle warmer and take long inhales of the fumes. It was so Satisfying to me. I got really bad anemia, my eye sight started worsening and I was always so weak, but I just can't stop completely. I'll go a few weeks without it and find myself craving it and running to the store to buy more. It doesn't help that it's so accessible and cheap. I need to stop but I don't know if I can.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:42 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Hi miss, did u tell ur doc about the things ur eating and sniffing? Have they ever said anything about Pica?

Good to see u here i hope that this place helps u x plenty of different forums here to look through x
Old 08-26-2017, 12:55 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lavendersmells - welcome

Support's made a huge difference to me - I was an alcoholic and thats everywhere too - you'll find support and encouragement here

D
Old 08-26-2017, 12:59 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Welcome, see a doc?
Old 10-26-2018, 04:52 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hello I am struggling with the same thing I have been sniffing them for about 6 months and eating them or about 8 months it takes me maybe three months to eat one I used to just chew it and spit it out but now I have crunch it up and eat little tiny pieces no it doesn't give me higher anyting it just satisfies my mouth and some kind of weird way. I hope it doesn't kill me or poison Me Slowly. I also have Lupus and I am anemic a very very low anemic at that the smell is so contagious they're like $0.50 to a dollar at the dollar store and I'll put it in a ziplock bag to keep it fresh and crispy and I'll take a little piece off and I'll just shoe it and chew it into it and I'm actually starting to chew bigger pieces I just wish they made a comment that wasn't poisonous I'm not sure if it's poisonous or not I'm pretty sure it is but damn it's addictive. You Are Not Alone if you want to talk more email me at ----------------------

Last edited by Dee74; 10-26-2018 at 05:28 AM.