Notices

First post, my story, is there anyone else like me?

Old 05-17-2012, 07:17 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, DoingThisForMe!

I'll never forget when a counselor told me I wasn't an alcoholic (though he knew I'd been through treatment/AA). Of course, that stuck in my mind and I used it later as justification to try drinking again.

The truth is, no one could look inside my head and see the battle I would go through trying to control my drinking, or the hangovers, anxiety and depression that made me dread getting up in the morning.

There are plenty, though, just like us who DO get it and having that kind of support is so crucial for us. It's great to have you with us!
Old 05-17-2012, 09:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Welcome to the team, Doingthis. I found great comfort, and still do, in knowing that my drinking, my depression and anxiety, guilt and shame, and ever increasing soul sickness were standard issue for us. Like you, I preferred to drink alone, and my secret was safe from everyone, except those closest to me. Now I take strength from other people's sobriety, like yours, as it supports my own.

Thanks for your post.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:28 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thank you for the post. I can completely relate to your story. I hold my liquor pretty well and have never gotten out of control to the point where anyone (other than my wife) has suggested I have a drinking problem. Whenever I don't drink at a work function or a party folks have given me a funny look like, "why not? You don't have a problem" etc. But they don't know how I had been drinking every night, sneaking shots in the garage, that's not my second beer it's my fifth, etc. An it's a miracle I haven't had a DUI.

Thank god you made it home safe that night. Congrats on six months!
Old 05-17-2012, 10:11 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm kinda on the same boat as you, I don't really have anyone to talk to that knows what I'm going through. This is why I rely on SR so much. I agree with Sapling, don't worry about what anyone else has to say or think. Think about yourself, your sobriety is key right now. I wish you the best!
Old 05-17-2012, 10:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Hogi

Start going to meetings if you haven't yet. You will find that you will be able to relate to all.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:38 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Hi Doingthisforme -

My story sounds a lot like yours. My story. Only you can decide, but I found that I just knew because I was using alcohol differently than others.

Six months is great!
Old 05-18-2012, 01:14 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
instant

Welcome I think you are in the right place. I have a job, house, a family, most of my teeth etc I think a lot of people would be surprised that I regard myself as an alcoholic- it's not for them it is for me.

The simple fact is my life is better and easier without alcohol in it- There is only one person who really needs to get that.............and I do. What other people say and think is for them, not me.