Notices

binge drinking medical student

Old 05-10-2012, 01:59 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

well you know that these schools are the most competitive. but you have a beautiful bright future ahead of you, the ability to learn from some amazing mentors who enjoy teaching...and hopefully you will love surgery.

there is no room for alcohol addiction in your life and you'll see that. there is another person on these boards who is also going to med school....look for runnermd2be. he's probably a good person for you to connect with.

BTW, i am not AA, i've got a strong support network and i practice the attitude of gratitude. you are welcome to join or just read the gratitude threads with us. I also practice *complaining* in a humorous sense...you're more than welcome to join us there too..in the cafe section, whiners anonymous.

you're smart to realize you could develop a problem that will affect your entire life and cut your career to shreds. You can separate the behaviors here (drama) to get what you need to help you. welcome and feel free to PM me any time. :ghug3
Old 05-10-2012, 02:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi GoodEvening

I certainly see many parallels with my own drinking...I think it's good you've accepted you're alcoholic at such a young age, and you're very wise to look at this now.

Most of my friends were hard drinkers too - go figure - I had to make some pretty sweeping changes there.

Some of them actually supported me in my decision - those who didn't had to go.
We both survived

I knew my drinking would kill me, after it had stolen everything from me I valued - it was pretty easy to make whatever changes I had to after I realised that.

You'll find a lot of support here. Welcome

D
Old 05-10-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

ProblemDrinker, when a person comes here and identifies themselves as an alcoholic, I, for one, will never recommend anything other than abstinence from alcohol. To do otherwise -- that seems dangerous to me.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

The OP has already self-identified as being alcoholic.
I don't feel we need to question that, or debate it here.

Let's focus on the OP

D
Old 05-10-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Dude congrats on med school!

Fandy has about said it all, I think, but I wanted to add one more thing for you to think about.

You're going to be vulnerable - tired, stressed, you know. It's easy to get tunnel vision and only focus on getting through what's right in front of your nose and then seeking release from it all.

If you can stop now, really stop and have time to get used to not using booze maybe that can give you a leg up to deal.

I drank all through grad school and am highly successful in my field, but I don't remember a lot of what I learned, and that bites me in the ass every day, having to re-learn and it keeps me from being as productive as I could be.

Best wishes
Old 05-10-2012, 03:49 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

ProblemDrinker...... I like that you don't sugar coat things!!!!!!
Old 05-10-2012, 04:39 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hello GoodEvening.

I am a twenty eight year old Radiographer. I would often drink in the evenings on clinical placement but I probably got away with not being my best becuase you are always supported as a student. I was generally very good or could lack concentration at times. In my third placement I burned myself whilst falling into a boiling hot bath and found myself in AE. Anyway, I told my tutor the story (not all of it) just that it involved alcohol and she gave me some advice that I would certainly ring true later. Drinking and being a healthcare professional do not mix.

NoTears makes a good point about having to re-learn knowledge because he had forgotten what he had learned. I was told by a radiographer once, 'you can be a good radiographer or a bad one'. I too could have read more whilst studying. It comes back to bite you when you finally practice and multiple professionals are looking at you for specific knowledge. Especially in critical care or trauma situations!

Good luck
Old 05-10-2012, 06:43 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and congratulations on getting onto medical school!

I sense that you have come to a fork in the road, continue drinking or be successful in medical school. I don't think there is an in between.

Now in the short term, you can probably do both. But in the long term it's not going to be possible to keep all of the "balls in the air," you will crash and burn. And someone's life may be jeopardized in the process.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:13 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

People find this website for a reason, and I can bet you a million bucks it's not because they woke up from a bright shining example of a night of moderated drinking.

The guy got into medical school, and I can bet he's not going to let any single source of information completely influence his decision.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:21 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ProblemDrinker View Post
OK - this seems a bit harsh...

23 year young medical student requires some ??comfort after binge drinking??and the help he gets is, change your path or die a slow and painful death?

There are other messages along the same lines...

Commit to Sobriety, Join AA, there's no other option.

here's my particular favourite..

I thin the propensity for cravings (experienced as 'wanting') is biological- you cannot get rid of it.

Some of these words are very dangerous when glibly smattered around for vulnerable hungover people to read...

HAVE ANY OF YOU THOUGHT THAT THE LAD MIGHT BENEFIT FROM A MONTH OFF DRINKING, then to re-assess and choose to take a more responsible view of drinking before jumping to an AA meeting?

I got slammed last week for questioning whether I am ready to try to moderate my drinking...literally people were aggressive (in the forum type sense) and making snide comments about my name (PD)...

Be careful what you read here Good Evening, and good luck in your journey...just don't expect balanced advice...
Not trying to debate but isn't binge drinking in College....EXTREMLY DANGEROUS?
Old 05-11-2012, 05:55 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Goodevening, I read your story with sadness as it so closely parallels mine I thought I may have written it. I hit my stride in med school and went through higher than a kite smoking dope and drinking. I could do anything high and we were careful to try to keep the redness out of our eyes so "no one would know." Everyone else moved on. I didn't. I was you and I couldn't stop. I really no longer cared about that as I had gotten so good at isolation and going to oblivion on my own. I didn't need friends.

As it turns out I am now on my eighth day off oxy as you have to change to something that your patients can't smell on your breath. You will find it wherever you look anytime. It will all ruin you. Try doing a rotation in the ER with bourbon or beer on your breath. Try finding a good lawyer after someone dies. Even if it isn't your fault the booze alone will give a grieving family a reason to cook your ass. That's where drugs can save you only to kill you later.

I got caught. Eventually the whole world knew. I fought my way back and remained at my job only to better myself. I stayed clean and sober for years only to bring myself to this point AGAIN. (Imagine the string of profanity that just went through my head)

Through the auspices of my wife who has saved my life for the second time I am getting clean again and this time before I embarrassed myself in front of the whole world.

It never, ever, ever goes away!

The cravings go away. The drinking and drugging can go away. The guilt and ****** life can go away but sobriety and vigilance must never go away.

After 15 years of sobriety and clean proud living I got oxy for a painful condition and found the road to hell for three years. My first thought when a prescription "might help" was "this could be fun for a couple days!" "A couple days" became three years of scrounging for pills, lying, cheating, hiding and being completely dishonest with the only person who had stood by me when I had fallen before and literally saved my life by doing so. I am so incredibly fortunate that she is still there and working to trust me again.

I remember saying once to my wife that I had no idea where the road to heaven is but I know the road to hell so well I could travel it in my sleep.

In the end I know where the road to heaven is as well and it was always right in front of me in the love and support of others who care. Find them and don't let go. They are not your drinking buddies. By the way they are already talking about how bad you are when you are not there.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:30 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oxyfiend View Post
Goodevening, I read your story with sadness as it so closely parallels mine I thought I may have written it. I hit my stride in med school and went through higher than a kite smoking dope and drinking. I could do anything high and we were careful to try to keep the redness out of our eyes so "no one would know." Everyone else moved on. I didn't. I was you and I couldn't stop. I really no longer cared about that as I had gotten so good at isolation and going to oblivion on my own. I didn't need friends.

As it turns out I am now on my eighth day off oxy as you have to change to something that your patients can't smell on your breath. You will find it wherever you look anytime. It will all ruin you. Try doing a rotation in the ER with bourbon or beer on your breath. Try finding a good lawyer after someone dies. Even if it isn't your fault the booze alone will give a grieving family a reason to cook your ass. That's where drugs can save you only to kill you later.

I got caught. Eventually the whole world knew. I fought my way back and remained at my job only to better myself. I stayed clean and sober for years only to bring myself to this point AGAIN. (Imagine the string of profanity that just went through my head)

Through the auspices of my wife who has saved my life for the second time I am getting clean again and this time before I embarrassed myself in front of the whole world.

It never, ever, ever goes away!

The cravings go away. The drinking and drugging can go away. The guilt and ****** life can go away but sobriety and vigilance must never go away.

After 15 years of sobriety and clean proud living I got oxy for a painful condition and found the road to hell for three years. My first thought when a prescription "might help" was "this could be fun for a couple days!" "A couple days" became three years of scrounging for pills, lying, cheating, hiding and being completely dishonest with the only person who had stood by me when I had fallen before and literally saved my life by doing so. I am so incredibly fortunate that she is still there and working to trust me again.

I remember saying once to my wife that I had no idea where the road to heaven is but I know the road to hell so well I could travel it in my sleep.

In the end I know where the road to heaven is as well and it was always right in front of me in the love and support of others who care. Find them and don't let go. They are not your drinking buddies. By the way they are already talking about how bad you are when you are not there.
Excellent post, stay strong guys!!!!
Old 05-11-2012, 07:35 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hi GoodEvening,

I think you know - you have a wonderful opportunity ahead of you. I hope and pray you embrace it and don't gamble with it for the sake of alcohol.

I hope you'll make a fantastic doctor one day - perhaps even the better for recognising and facing up to a weakness in yourself.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:28 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome!
I am a 52 y.o very successful academic physician at a top 20 medical school. In January, I completed a 3 week inpat detox/rehab. Mandatory AA while inpatient. For several reasons I abandoned AA and am now learning the concepts of AVRT.

So been there, done that. You will not be able to survive the first 2 years of med school with the drinking you are describing. So decide now. Med school or binge drinking. The 2 can not be mixed.

Hope you make the right choice soon, August is not that far away....

Pam
Old 05-11-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gavinandnikki View Post
Hi and welcome!
I am a 52 y.o very successful academic physician at a top 20 medical school. In January, I completed a 3 week inpat detox/rehab. Mandatory AA while inpatient. For several reasons I abandoned AA and am now learning the concepts of AVRT.

So been there, done that. You will not be able to survive the first 2 years of med school with the drinking you are describing. So decide now. Med school or binge drinking. The 2 can not be mixed.

Hope you make the right choice soon, August is not that far away....

Pam
Thank you very much Pam. It means a lot to know that someone can relate as much as you can. You understand more than anyone the difficulty getting into medical school and the privilege it is, I couldn't live with myself if I threw that all away.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GoodEvening View Post
Thank you very much Pam. It means a lot to know that someone can relate as much as you can. You understand more than anyone the difficulty getting into medical school and the privilege it is, I couldn't live with myself if I threw that all away.
I hope you find something that works for you GoodEvening...I don't think any of us want to see you throw that away.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

GoodEvening, for what it is worth, when I was in college is when I picked up the drinking pattern. All my friends drank and so did I. My situation was a bit different than yours since we all drank to oblivion, not just me. But, the point is the college friends went their own way eventually but the drinking habbit stayed with me even after college. It's just something to think about.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hey all, good to see so many physicians and students here!

I got sober prior to starting med school. I could not fathom trying to balance everything with the added pressure of having to drink and hide said drinking.

I was a daily drinker, though it didn't start like that. Initially I was a binge drinker at parties etc. Insidiously though this drinking began expanding and before i knew what happened I found myself utterly powerless to say no to alcohol (and drugs). That was a scary place to be, knowing that I could not safely drink but at the same time having no idea and no ability to remain dry.

I tried other methods prior to being delivered to AA, none of them worked for me (not that the same holds true for you). I had nothing to lose at that point and was willing to consider the radical proposition that there was a spiritual answer to my drinking problem. I'm eternally grateful for that and continue to be active in AA.

With that said, I would encourage you to adress this over the summer, get situated in whatever program works for you so that you are in a good place when you start in August. For me, that was vital. Especially the first month when everyone is getting to know each other and going out a lot.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Well, I drank my way through law school, God only knows how. I still remember the agony of getting going to class with those terrible hangovers, sitting there just hoping I wouldn't puke. I imagine med school wouldn't be a whole lot more fun. Do yourself a favor and get your addiction behind you before you take that road. I guarantee you won't regret it.

My program of choice is SMART Recovery.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:28 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

alcoholism in students

Hi guys,

one of my close family members suffered from this disease as well, they've now been nearly 2 years sober. I'm a journalist at a magazine and actually wrote an article aimed specifically at students who suffer from alcoholism, just outlining it and raising awareness.

Hopefully people will see it 'cause I do think it's a topic that needs to be spoken about more, and maybe you guys might find it interesting.

bit.ly/QIyanZ it's on page 12-13

I do hope people help raise the awareness