Notices

binge drinking medical student

Old 05-10-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

binge drinking medical student

I’m finding myself in a very familiar position after a two-day golf outing with a group of friends. When my other friends could stop after two beers at lunch, I had to have three and then proceed to stop at the liquor store because, god forbid, I should lose my buzz while playing golf. That turned into an all night of drinking and waking up not remembering anything and puking all over my clothes. I wake up the next day so embarrassed at what I’ve done and swearing never to drink again only to forget the embarrassment a couple of days later and repeating my behavior.
The biggest reason I want to quit is because I was recently accepted into medical school. I worked so hard to get into medical school and I literally get sick to my stomach the mornings after drinking thinking of how easily I could have done something stupid to jeopardize my acceptance. I know I am an alcoholic and I know I want to quit but I’m 23 and my entire social life revolves around drinking. All my friends drink but they all know when to stop. I really don’t know where to begin. It seems I have to make a choice, lose my friends or continue on my path.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GoodEvening View Post
I really don’t know where to begin. It seems I have to make a choice, lose my friends or continue on my path.
Welcome GoodEvening....That seems to be a pretty easy choice to me. If you stay on the path you are on I can promise you it doesn't get better. I was on it long enough. I had to change my friends...Where I hung out....I had to change a lot. It was either that or die a slow, painful death. My decision was easy.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

Try a young people's group in AA. Not everyone drinks. If the only thing you and your friends do is drink, then they are just drinking buddies, not friends. You can continue to make friends throughout your lifetime, the real ones will stick with you for many years.

I wish you well! Congratulations on Med School!!
Old 05-10-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
So it goes

Sapling is right

It is hard to admit to yourself you have a problem with alcoholism, however, the problem you will have is you feel on your own, that only you have that problem

I am not an AAer, but it does no harm to go to a meeting, you will soon find there are lots like you who have found a better way to live

Try it, getting sober was the best thing I ever did for me, and for those around me
Old 05-10-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
urban chicken

Welcome to SR

I'll ditto what Sapling said, and add that I too had drinking friends who could stop easily. That has nothing to do with me being an alcoholic.

It was my choice to continue drinking, no one forced me to. I too was always scared of losing that buzz, and have spent many wasted days and nights trying to keep it. Funny thing is I could never get it to stay around. How about you ?

Congrats on the acceptance to med school, that is quite an accomplishment!

SR is a wonderful place. I'm only 1 week sober, but its been a wonderful week. I'm still at risk of failing somewhere in life, but as long as I didnt pick up that first drink, it won't be from alcohol, and I can live with that.

Good luck!

roosta
Old 05-10-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Sounds like you achieved a great victory scholastically to get accepted. If you stay on the path you are on you may never finish it.

I am new to recovery myself but the first thing I am doing is just that. Changing where I go and who I hang with.

Before abandoning any friendship you might want to let them in with what's going on for you. You may find support and you will need it later.

All the best.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

oh boy... I'll give you my story

I'm 25 now, just turned...

16-18 Went to a few high school parties, drank a few times to the point of being drunk... not a big deal, hated hangovers, was a health nut. No problems, avoided alcohol nine times out of ten.

18-20 College started, parties every weekend, drank to the point of doing stupid stuff, peeing in random places, peeing the bed... sometimes being mean to my girlfriend... black outs, not remembering stuff. Did this on the weekends quite frequently.

21 - 22 ahh the fun begins. I can now buy alcohol... begin drinking at least once a week, usually twice... often by myself. Beer and Vodka blackouts every weekend. I would often avoid people, choosing to drink alone and get absolutely smeared. I begin questioning my drinking at this point.

23 - Graduate college, first weekend home I go out with friends, and wind up in jail with a public intox, disturbing the peace, disorderly conduct, and loitering. Almost get beaten up in jail, had to be segregated out of the drunk tank and into my own cell because I was so outrageous to everyone. Got an amazing job offer revoked because of this little incident. Made several attempts to abstain after this. Went to AA a few times... all half arsed attempts.

23-24 Finally get a good job, my own office (alone) etc... begin drinking damn near all the time, hiding it from friends and family. Needless to say this is when things got bad... and up until 4 months ago, they weren't getting any better.

I can look back and see the progression, it was like I got to a point where I needed alcohol to have a good time. If I could only go back and let that voice speak a little bit louder the very first time I started to question whether I was alcoholic or not, and just listen... I could have saved myself a ton of heartache.

EDIT: You'll find that a lot of people will actually support your decision to quit. That was something that shocked me. Even my drinking friends were happy for me.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

You've got a great opportunity ahead of you GoodEvening. It's awesome that you realize you have a problem at a young age...now do something about it. Don't let those doors of opportunity start to close. Commit to sobriety. AA is what has worked for me, but do whatever you need to do to stay sober and do it today. Best wishes,

--Fenris.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Before abandoning any friendship you might want to let them in with what's going on for you. You may find support and you will need it later.
You also might find they don't really care...Most of my "friends" are doing the same sh!t we were doing when I quit....I don't think they like being around me to tell you the truth. I think I make them feel uncomfortable....And that's fine with me.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There was a guy, young guy like you, in my home group (AA)... got accepted to two medical schools, some scholarships, all that... got a DUI, his second... that ended up badly. He's re-applying and will probably get back in, years later than planned...smart guy, except when it comes to alcohol, LOL... now he doesn't drink and he's OK.

The medical professions have a very low tolerance for impairment.

Stop drinking now. If you cannot do this yourself, you may be an alcoholic. Get help if you need it.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

GE -
I'm in theatre and a LOT of drinking goes on there. When I made the decision to quit drinking I didn't lose all of my friends. I didn't lose ANY of my friends. I lost some drinking buddies, but no REAL friends.
Don't worry about that part of it.
You're 23 - you have so many more people to meet in your life.
Concentrate on your goals in life
Old 05-10-2012, 10:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you're right that you have a decision to make.

I hope you decide to stop drinking and to focus on your studies.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
instant

I think the propensity for cravings (experienced as 'wanting') is biological- you cannot get rid of it.

This thing you have will not go away

I suggest you read the Big Book
Old 05-10-2012, 12:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by instant View Post
I think the propensity for cravings (experienced as 'wanting') is biological- you cannot get rid of it.

This thing you have will not go away

I suggest you read the Big Book
I agree...In case you don't have it...Now you do. At least the Doctor's Opinion and the first 103 pages.

The text of Alcoholics Anonymous
Old 05-10-2012, 12:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

hi goodevening.....look at my profile.

I'm going to tell you that you will NEVER get through your first semester med school exams if you are drinking and hungover....let alone pass Step One and get to your 3rd year when you start clinical.

congrats on passing your MCATS, i know how much work that is and you must be pretty smart. you want to become a physician in training...i hope you want it badly enough to change.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Welcome to SR!

Try a young people's group in AA. Not everyone drinks. If the only thing you and your friends do is drink, then they are just drinking buddies, not friends. You can continue to make friends throughout your lifetime, the real ones will stick with you for many years.

I wish you well! Congratulations on Med School!!
This is SO true, Sugar. I have one particular friend that will entice friends to come over "Hey, you want to come over and drink some beers?" and "I have some awesome weed over here" If it weren't for those things, he wouldn't have many friends. It is almost as if he needs that to have friends. While I never did go over to smoke, I would for the alcohol. It was ALWAYS there. His father just got out of the hospital the end of last week. He looks horrible. His liver has failed. It's only a matter of time now before his father passes. That is one sight that you never want to see!

Just remember that Sugar is right. You don't have to drink to keep a true friend. Think about yourself right now and surround yourself with people that aren't medicating themselves. Those that can stop at a couple are OK, but is that OK for you to be around right now if you can't control it?

Perhaps a break around anyone drinking until you feel as though you can be around it again.

You'll figure out who your friends are.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Welcome GoodEvening....That seems to be a pretty easy choice to me. If you stay on the path you are on I can promise you it doesn't get better. I was on it long enough. I had to change my friends...Where I hung out....I had to change a lot. It was either that or die a slow, painful death. My decision was easy.
OK - this seems a bit harsh...

23 year young medical student requires some comfort after binge drinking and the help he gets is, change your path or die a slow and painful death?

There are other messages along the same lines...

Commit to Sobriety, Join AA, there's no other option.

here's my particular favourite..

Some of these words are very dangerous when glibly smattered around for vulnerable hungover people to read...

HAVE ANY OF YOU THOUGHT THAT THE LAD MIGHT BENEFIT FROM A MONTH OFF DRINKING, then to re-assess and choose to take a more responsible view of drinking before jumping to an AA meeting?

I got slammed last week for questioning whether I am ready to try to moderate my drinking...literally people were aggressive (in the forum type sense) and making snide comments about my name (PD)...

Be careful what you read here Good Evening, and good luck in your journey...just don't expect balanced advice...
Old 05-10-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ProblemDrinker View Post
OK - this seems a bit harsh...

23 year young medical student requires some comfort after binge drinking and the help he gets is, change your path or die a slow and painful death?
I'm speaking for myself there...And that is based on what my doctor told me. Sorry if it offended you. Whether you like it or not it is a progressive fatal disease. I have have a wall covered with pictures where I go to my meetings to remind me of that every time I go.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
hi goodevening.....look at my profile.

I'm going to tell you that you will NEVER get through your first semester med school exams if you are drinking and hungover....let alone pass Step One and get to your 3rd year when you start clinical.

congrats on passing your MCATS, i know how much work that is and you must be pretty smart. you want to become a physician in training...i hope you want it badly enough to change.

Thank you, I appreciate that. I will be attending an MD school in the NYC region that has clinical affiliations in NJ so we may just run into each other in a couple of years.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ProblemDrinker View Post

23 year young medical student requires some comfort after binge drinking

Some of these words are very dangerous
Comfort? The 23 year old medical student you are referring to said the following...(I've highlighted some things...)

Originally Posted by GoodEvening View Post

I wake up the next day so embarrassed at what I’ve done and swearing never to drink again only to forget the embarrassment a couple of days later and repeating my behavior.

I worked so hard to get into medical school and I literally get sick to my stomach the mornings after drinking thinking of how easily I could have done something stupid to jeopardize my acceptance.

I know I am an alcoholic and I know I want to quit but I’m 23 and my entire social life revolves around drinking.
I think it's dangerous to offer comfort when the truth is what is really needed. His truth... not mine, not saplings, not yours... but he should hear our truth when seeking his own, no?

I think part of his journey should be.... absolutely, positively, unequivocally, unapologetically ... attendance at at least one AA meeting... whether he chooses to follow AA or not... whether he is truly an alcoholic or not...

To the OP... welcome to SR!!