Notices

Please Help: I have crazy anxiety today!

Old 05-09-2012, 07:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
New beginnings are the best!

Please Help: I have crazy anxiety today!

I'm sitting in my office at work and all of a sudden my chest feels so heavy and I just feel out of control in my body and mind. I want to cry, this is so weird! I mean, I know social anxiety very well, but I've never experienced anxiety just sitting alone by myself. It doesn't help that I'm drinking an iced coffee from starbucks probably. I just figured I could use a pick-me-up this morning. I just feel like I can't function like this! Any suggestions with dealing with anxiety during the beginning of recovery?
Old 05-09-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

deep breaths, relax your shoulders...switch out to herbal tea for today. try to concentrate on one task at work, something small and time-consuming.

it's a temporary feeling, i promise you it will pass.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Something we don't acknowledge in early sobriety....deep inside of us we panic, we are realizing that drinking is not part of who we are, but Who Are We, Really? Panic, anxiety. Our emotions that we thought we threw out were just pushed inside us at a deeper level and they are trying to come out. Being used to being numbed and not feeling our emotions naturally, well, anxiety arises.

I used the steps of AA. My way failed me every time. The steps saved my life, gave me a new perspective on me. Wow, I am relieved, I am free, and I am okay in my own skin. Anxiety disappeared. It is a process.

Reduce your caffeine, it produces anxiety. Grab some hard candy and suck on one of them.

Reach out and help someone else in recovery. Share what you know with them. We can help each other recover, one day, today!

Hugs,
Old 05-09-2012, 07:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Take several belly breaths - breathe in deeply and allow your tummy to expand, and then slowly breathe out through your mouth. This will definitely relax you.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by TheRestorative View Post
I'm sitting in my office at work and all of a sudden my chest feels so heavy and I just feel out of control in my body and mind. I want to cry, this is so weird! I mean, I know social anxiety very well, but I've never experienced anxiety just sitting alone by myself.

Any suggestions with dealing with anxiety during the beginning of recovery?
The anxiety your experiencing looks a whole lot like the panic attacks I can have. Mine are from having a mental illness and they have remain unchanged even in sobriety.

Typically as the body adjust to sober living the panic naturally fades away.

I deal with my anxiety by just letting them pass, as they will do and bear the discomfort until I'm at ease again. If anxiety or panic attracts interfere with your functioning, it may be a good time to see your Dr. On occasion my anxiety disorder impairs my ability to function, at those times I do take a medication that helps me carry on with things
Old 05-09-2012, 09:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

TheRestorative, You just LITERARLLY described what I was going through about an hour ago. I actually thought holy crap, did I post this is some delirious state? Just thought you might like to know that it is passing and that we can all relate to that terrible terrible anxiety and panic. Hope it passes for you soon, just stay busy and try (as hard as that is) not to think about it.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I too am having a freak-out. I have a LOT of things going on in my life right now that sorta suck. I'm trying to take deep breaths and tell myself little by little it'll all work out.
My sobriety has to be the most important thing. Everything else will fall into place.
Can you leave your desk and take a brisk walk for 15 minutes?
That usually helps me.
Or some jumping jacks?
Old 05-09-2012, 09:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Found this little ditty:

How can someone deal with having panic attacks at work?
"Self-talk, can be very helpful in the early stage. For example you can tell yourself, 'I am safe, I feel calm, everything is O.K.,' when combined with slow regulated breathing (to balance oxygen levels) can head off the actual panic attack. A slow inhale followed by holding the breath and concluding with an exhale twice as long as the inhale will help balance the CO2 level and is critical to achieving stress reduction. Visualization of a calm, restful place ("a happy place") in conjunction with the slow focused breathing can also be productive in decreasing the physiological affects of anxiety.

It is also useful to remember, that a panic attack cannot hurt you (you will not die, you will not have a heart attack, it will pass within a few moments), which can take the power away that is strengthened primarily by the fear of the panic attack itself.
I've only had a couple panic attacks, but used to sit with my daughter through hers........ It can last 10 minutes or sometimes more (maybe 20 or 30, max). If it helps, you could always go to the restroom to be alone for a few minutes. Hope you feel better soon!
Old 05-09-2012, 10:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I always talk to my dog/cats at home. they seem to help keep me calmtoo. at work its just a matter of a few more hours. hope you are ok
Old 05-09-2012, 10:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

They taught me something at the center that worked for me. Breath in for three, hold for five and release for five. Deep breaths just make your body get more oxygen and your body believe it or not needs carbon monoxide so it can release the oxygen to the cells..if you keep taking deep breaths it can cause you to panic because your not getting oxygen to the rest of your body... I hope it helps.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
New beginnings are the best!

Thank you everyone. I did a lot of breathing today. I was reminded of the deep breathing I learned from yoga and applied some of that, as well. I ditched the coffee and had some water and tried to focus on a small task I had in front of me. Eventually it did calm down. It felt so intense at first, though! You really do have to talk yourself down from these attacks. I still feel anxious, but it's not overwhelming at this point. Do you think this is all supressed emotional buildup coming back to the surface? I've been feeling all sorts of thing this last week.