Notices

What plan do you have in place for cravings?

Old 05-03-2012, 02:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What plan do you have in place for cravings?

Just intrigued to see if anyone has a solid plan of attack when it comes to cravings? I know I'm going into a period where I will have a lot of cravings and need some inspiration!!
Old 05-03-2012, 02:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

This technique helped me
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

I found it useful to try and observe my feelings and not to be a part of them so much.

For years, as soon as I got a craving I felt I needed to satisfy it...in recovery I learned just because I feel a feeling I don't need to act on it....

It might be a little uncomfortable - and that scares a lot of us - we're used to drinking that uncomfortable stuff away...

but the more you face it down I think you'll find the less it will bother you, and it will fade away progressively.

for me, anyway, the fear of feeling uncomfortable was actually worse than the reality....

you can do this Kelly
D
Old 05-03-2012, 02:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
instant

KR
you have made the important first steps of knowing what they are and expecting them. It is also useful to remember that horrible as they may be they will not hurt you and they will go.

I found chocolate prior to my usual drinking time helped. At one point I timed them to understand the pattern, from memory mine last about 7 minutes but come in waves. When they hit move around or walk until they go (or dance to Lonely Boy by the Black Keys).

Do a search on "urge surfing" for other advice

wishing you luck

By the way if you don't drink they eventually go away. I have not had cravings for months- they were part of my daily life prior to a year ago
Old 05-03-2012, 03:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(or dance to Lonely Boy by the Black Keys)
LOL I think my family would definitely think I've gone over the edge and have me commited.
Ha ha ....love it. Love that video also.
Jberk..dancing to Lonely Boy.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Kelly... I've found eating when cravings hit usally does the trick to squash them. I have to jump on them early though before they take on a life of their own. That and naps. All the best...
Old 05-03-2012, 04:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
totfit

When we go into a period where we expect we might have cravings, well then we get cravings. The best way to get over "cravings" is just to ignore them. We really only "crave" after using. Otherwise it is mental. Move forward and concentrate on the beautiful things in life. Experience things fully in all areas of life and there isn't room for "cravings".
Old 05-03-2012, 07:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Kelly, I really like the urge surfing technique too, and eating a little something is almost a guaranteed cure for my cravings. Do you also have someone you can call if you need to, to talk it out? I've been known to put myself to bed at 7:30 if I can see the night is going nowhere, fast. Nothing wrong with waking up bright eyed and bushy tailed early the next morning, hugging yourself for staying sober!

Great job being pro-active on your recovery!!
Old 05-03-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I practice detaching from any thoughts/moods/sensations of a craving and then quickly do some grounding techniques.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

In early recovery I had to just say "no" firmly to myself when cravings hit. Each time I won the battle I got stronger. Now after two years the cravings are almost non existant and are a mere whisper instead of a loud scream. Keep refusing to give in to the cravings and eventually they will fade.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by kellyrally View Post
Just intrigued to see if anyone has a solid plan of attack when it comes to cravings? I know I'm going into a period where I will have a lot of cravings and need some inspiration!!
AVRT has an iron-clad plan of attack when it comes to cravings. AVRT will also resolve uncertainty about drinking when you go to Europe later this year. The AVRT threads are in the Secular Recovery Forum.

In AVRT you draw a clear line between the desire to drink and everything else you want for yourself.