Notices

Hi

Old 05-07-2012, 02:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi

Hey guys, I have been lurking here for a couple of days and thought I would take the plunge to register and say hi to everyone.... hey (waves)!

I just need some words of support as today was meant to be (for the tenth time)my first day of no wine; and here I am sat with my bottle (nearly finished) so clearly I am not doing well!!!! I was coping, and then my hubby comes home with a bottle because he thought it would cheer me up

Anyway, could I have some words of advice please to start my day tomorrow on the right foot - I really would like to wake up without worrying if I can survive without my usual bottle of wine.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Hi Vonners. Welcome to SR. You've come to the right place for the support you need to reach your goal.

Have you shared your goal with your husband? This might be a good idea, so he can support you.

We know what you're feeling right now, as we've been there. You sound down. I hope you'll know that it can get better, with a little work and committment.

Congrats on your decision to reach out. It's a great first step. I look forward to walking with you through your journey.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks LoftyIdeals,

My husband knows how I feel, he is a recovering addict (drugs) himself, 2 years now bless him but yet he buys me the wine. I think it's because he knows what its like to want and think it makes me happy. I have told him I want to give up but he asks me like 3 times if he can get me something from the shop.... of course I break lol. I just want to be strong enought to say noooooooooooooooo
Old 05-07-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

If you are really serious about quitting, you may want more support from the hubby. How badly do you want to quit?
Old 05-07-2012, 02:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

More than anything in my life, I have two gorgous baby boys and want to be the best mom I can be
Old 05-07-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Vonners

I would definitely impress upon you husband that you're serious about this..he doesn't have to agree you have a problem, but I think he really does have to stop buying you wine

you'll find a lot of support and advice here - welcome to SR!
Old 05-07-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I think a real heart to heart with the hubby is in order. Tell him wine is no longer an option. It would be like you going out and saying "hey sweetie! I ran into your old dealer. Would you like some of your *insert drug of choice*?" He needs to respect your wishes and support your decision. He may think he's being a "good husband" by "treating" you but he's being an enabler whether he realizes it or not.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Vonners

I agree you should have an honest chat with your husband. But then I've been in relationships when we were both trying to give up smoking and used to talk each other into starting again. The only way is to be strong in yourself and don't let him asking if you want anything from the shop be an excuse to weaken your resolve. I'm sure SR will be a good tool for keeping you strong x
Old 05-07-2012, 04:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Vonners - please to meet you! The 'normies' just don't get what we go through. That's why I love SR and the support & encouragement I've found here.

Glad you found us, and proud of you for reaching out for a new life. Hoping that tomorrow goes much better for you. Keep posting.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. :ghug3 We have a lot of support to offer so read and post as you like.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

"My husband knows how I feel, he is a recovering addict (drugs) himself, 2 years now bless him but yet he buys me the wine."

Let him know you can't be a great mom when drinking.......
Old 05-07-2012, 05:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It took me a really long time to get my husband on board with my alcoholism. Now he sees it, but he did a lot of the same things your husband is doing when I first tried quitting. I had a lot of first days without wine quite awhile back now. I always armed myself with a lot of comfort food for that first day. I was lucky that I never had much withdrawal at all, but the comfort food really helped. Day 1 was always the worst day for me. A lot of people say day 3, but no for me it was always Day 1. Now I have almost a year sober. It gets easier. Just wait for the magic to happen.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
New beginnings are the best!

Hi there, I know how you feel a bit. My husband is a sweet heart and even before we were married, when we were dating, he knew that alcohol seemed to make me happy and relaxed, so he would always buy it for me. He's always known that I have a problem with it, but he also doesn't want to see me without it, for fear that I'll go crazy. He has been pleasantly surprised these last 5 days of me being sober. No fighting, clean house, and me being kind to him. Who would've known? It does get better, but I would strongly suggest at least telling your husband you are very serious about quitting and would appreciate supprt. This will hopefully at least get him to stop asking you what you want from the liquor store. I know how tempting that is. "Honey, do you want anything?" And of course you do! But you know you shouldn't. Hang in there and continue to look for support here. Keep writing, too. When things get tough, reach out and write a post!

~ Abby

P.S. Welcome!!!! :ghug3
Old 05-08-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Stick around here and you will do just fine.