Old 05-02-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by Bruno1979 View Post
Lost,

How much were you drinking at your peak if you don't mind me asking,

Thanks for your posts,

Bruno.
Hi Bruno. I had peaks and lows and I am not sure what my actual peak was. My thing was vodka. Sometimes lots of wine or beer. Mostly vodka though. Each martini I'd pour was around 3 and up to and beyond 6 oz each. I remember trying to weigh out my vodka on my cooking scale, knowing that 1 oz. is a serving. And thinking, omg that is hardly anything! Pretty soon scale went out the window and free pour began!

I'd drink 3-4 of these per night. BEFORE that, I'd stop at the bar after work, have 2-3 drinks of vodka/soda. Then on the way home, pick up those little mini bottles of vodka, 1 or 2. Then martinis.

I suppose in total I was consuming about 12-16 oz per night. Does anyone know how much that is compared to bottles of vodka??

And I was so proud of myself that I could "hold my own"
Old 05-02-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

By the way thank you Bruno. You just helped me help myself in remembering that I truly am an alcoholic. No one should drink like I did. It's not normal or healthy. Thank you for this thread.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lost3000 View Post
By the way thank you Bruno. You just helped me help myself in remembering that I truly am an alcoholic. No one should drink like I did. It's not normal or healthy. Thank you for this thread.
Thank you for your input my friend,

Bruno.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bruno1979 View Post

What do you suggest as a stress relief?
To be honest the best stress release for me was giving up alcohol completely. When I was drinking my anxiety was really bad and to be honest I was really snappy all the time. Just like drunk people are! But it took maybe a month for me to start feeling calmer.

Initially I wrote a list of small things I could do instead of drink to handle stress or cravings. Having a bath, playing music, punching walls

But prevention is the best cure...avoid stress. You're the boss right? Can't you delegate someone to sort things out when the **** hits the fan? Ok not always practical but maybe worth giving yourself a bit of a break and dedicating a bit of time to recovery. Read some books on recovery and make sure you have some tools to help you cope when you next have a stressful day...
Old 05-02-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Bruno -- it's not so easy. Simple, but not easy.

Have you heard the saying "dont get mad, get even"? Think of your addiction as a fair weather friend who's now harmed you. Don't feel bad for yourself that you listened to the lies your once-friend told you and dont get mad at yourself for messing up. Instead use that energy to refocus and reconsider your recovery plan. "Get even" with your addiction by stepping it up.

Good luck!
Old 05-02-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Ever had a bad relationship? I have. And at some point you say, "Never mind. I can't do this anymore." And you walk away.

That's quitting alcohol. Walk away. Give up. In a word, surrender.