Notices

What would you say to a chronic relapser?

Old 05-01-2012, 10:09 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
What are they afraid of?
Sometimes I think it has more to do with fear of success....That some people can't wrap their head around the idea of life without alcohol....It would be like losing everything....Again. I know I thought that way for awhile....I thought alcohol was what kept my motor running.....And all it was doing was stopping me in my tracks.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:25 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Paradox, Humor, Change

Chronic relapse has its roots in step 2, not on step 1. At least from my point of view. So in a nutshell, the chronic relasper has no faith in the proccess of the 12 steps. So the chronic relapser need their faith built up. There is no one liner for that. I think faith is not an assumption but rather based on experience in recovery. So even tho, the chronic relapser needs faith, the only way to build faith is to take action and look at the results. If a chronic relapser refuses to take action, and theareby builds no faith, I dont think anything can be done or said. I think they are the ones who cannot or will not give themselves to this simple program. Their doomed. Christianity has been debating for years whether its faith alone that leads to salvation or faith and works that lead to salvation. I cannot speak for salvation but concerning sobriety its faith with works. They are two sides of the same coin. If a chronic relasper takes action their faith will build, and faith spurs us on to more works which builds faith and on and on we go on the road of happy destiny.

Even from a non AA point of view, I know of no alternatives that require no faith in the process via action.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:17 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

On the one hand, I see people who have the opinion 'I'm too young to quit right now, I'm not bad enough yet.' And then on the other, there are those who believe it is too late, and they are too severe a case. There's never a 'right' time to quit, I spent several years waiting for that 'right' time. I told myself I would stop once such-and-such was over in my life, then it would be something else, and so on.

Even when I decided to get serious about quitting however, it wasn't a smooth ride. I feel sorry for those trapped in chronic relapse patterns because I have been there myself, I know it's a difficult struggle and over time, it tends to wear you down. You never really get the chance to see the light at the end of the tunnel, it's just a continuous emotional/spiritual struggle. It is very worth breaking this malicious cycle.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:48 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I'd say well done for keeping on trying. Showing grit and determination.
Never give up giving up and one day you will suddenly realise you are there.
Good luck everyone needs support find that support you need and fly.
John.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:52 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RyanRyan View Post
I'm a chronic relapser...I know that I need to quit, but I really don't want to. I would honestly enjoy drinking my life away if i could. I need to want to quit and maybe you do too. Who are we fooling anyway?
i feel like im in the exact same boat, im still happy that im here right now. I know this is always a positive start.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:26 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
A girl can dream...

Hi HealthySober,

I've relapsed so many times I can't count. I joined this site today to get encouragement from other suffering from addiction. Yesterday I took my last drink. Tonight I'm missing my glass (OK, bottle) of wine.

What sometimes helped me get through stopping drinking before was making a pros/cons list. Waking up without a hangover, having more energy, rebuilding relationships, feeling good about myself. That sounded and felt good. Waking up with a screaming headache/nausea, looking bloated and pale, wondering what my kids thought of me. That sucked. Focus on the pros - say goodbye to the cons. They're so not worth it.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:47 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Just don't give up healthysober. I too am a chronic relapser. I am not giving up. Go back to AA. Come on this site often. Find a support group. What ever works. The shame and guilt will get you every time. You CAN do this. Keep trying.