Notices

New and unsure

Old 04-29-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

SR helps some. Went to my first AA meeting yesterday when I realized I could not do this alone. I said nothing, just listened, actually wept a bit knowing I had finally made the big step in admitting my problem and seeking help. I'm going to a second tonight on the advice of someone I met at the end of the meeting and maybe another tomorrow. One day at a time. My wife has been incredibly supportive-actually helped empty the liquor cabinet and fridge. Maybe your significant other can be there too.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I was one pissed off son of a bitch when I knew I had to quit....And I knew it was killing me. It gets a grip on you and it's not easy...But stopping is the best thing I've done for myself in my life.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hey dwood...I'm glad to hear that....I'll bet your wife is too.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:38 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mamabella View Post
Like I said....there is one non alcoholic beer that I really really like, and if I could find that everywhere it would be a non issue....but again, I can only find it in certain places. Like regular beer, they all have a different taste and there are many regular beers that I do not like the taste of. It just so happens that those regular beers I don't like are also the ones who make the non alcoholic ones I do not like!! The one I have found that I do like is made be the company that makes my faborote beers....so it is about the taste....
I'm having a hard time understanding this. Especially the part where you say if you could find that non-alcoholic beer your drinking problem would be a non-issue. I think you are kidding yourself by thinking that way. I would dare to call it denial. If you know that drinking beer and not being able to stop will cause you to have black outs and get drunk (which you don't like), then just don't drink the beer. Even if you love the taste of it. I used to love apples and would eat one or two a day until I developed an intolerance for them which made my throat become very itchy and feel like it was closing in. Although I loved apples, I had to stop eating them. Once in a while I'll say: man I wish I could have an apple because it looks so tasty, but I know if I do, I'll have an adverse reaction (that could become life threatening).

I am wondering if you did have an unlimited supply of the non-alcoholic beer that you like, how many would you have in one sitting? Do you think you would binge on those as well?

I like what sapling said about loving gingerale but not downing a 6 pack of it. Same thing. If you didn't have a problem with it, you could stop after a one or two, which is the normal amount a person should ever have at one time. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that you may have to look at it from another angle. I'm glad you came here, and you came here because you know in your heart that it is an issue... Everyone here is so awesome and helpful and can relate. Keep coming back and reading and posting. It's really helped me to stay focused on my recovery. I know that my first step was to admit that I had a problem, even though lots of people around me tried to convince me otherwise (and still do). Best of luck!
Old 04-29-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I don't know....I had people tell me most of my life I had a problem with alcohol...Lost every job and ruined every relationship I was in because of my drinking....I denied it right till the end. Cunning, Baffling and Powerful....I get the powerful part now. Alcohol made every decision for me for most of my life...Where I went...Who I was with and what I did revolved around alcohol. And I was the last one to see it.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome mamabella

I used to love drinking beer too - I used to love being out with my mates - but the effect alcohol had on me was different to any of them...I ended up an all day everyday drinker...

I was unwilling to stop, despite the ever mounting evidence that drinking was a really bad idea for me.

Don't waste 20 years on this like I did.

If you know you can't stop once you start, and you hate the consequences of your drinking, then I think there's really only one option open to you - to stop.

I think you'll find that, although you'll need to make changes, you won't lose anything by not drinking...I was surprised by how much I gained, for example - I got back in touch with a real me I'd forgotten about

D
Old 04-29-2012, 03:55 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I have said that I know it is the alcohol that makes me not be able to stop when I drink regular beer so no, i would not sit and drink nonstop if i had unlimited non alcoholic beer. I am sorry I have even mentioned the non alcoholic beer.......seems to have become a major focus...... I need to stop drinking is the bottom line and i am having a hard time doing that.....
Old 04-29-2012, 05:11 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mamabella View Post
I need to stop drinking is the bottom line and i am having a hard time doing that.....
It takes some effort on your part...If it was a matter of putting it down and that was it....It wouldn't be a problem for people. I'm happy being sober....But I work for it.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:27 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

My particular poison is wine. Love it. Red, white, whatever. Prefer "nice" ones, but truth be told, when nice ones were unavailable I wouldn't turn down the swill either.

There was a time, when all was going well, that I would joke about having a "defective off switch".

Well that time has passed. It's no longer a, joke. I simply have no ability to moderate myself. So it's time.

Just wrapping up day seven sober. Sipping a decaf iced lemon tea and feeling good.

Lots of good info and support here. Good luck to you.